Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350923 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2012, 03:05:50 AM »
The Dark Knight Rises preview is also showing before the movie, and I for one am thankful that DS didn't go up against that one.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2012, 03:14:30 AM »
^ Oops yeah, I was going to add Dark Knight Rises to the list of blockbusters, but then I forgot when it was coming out and was too lazy to look it up!  Somehow I had the feeling it was coming out later in the year.  But it's July.  July is good for me- I do want to see it and that's my birth month  [ghost_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:51 AM »
i'm not sure what this means but i just came from seeing it a second time...

a funny 6 o'clock showing near where i work with only about 15 people in the theater.

still processing.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2012, 03:38:20 AM »
In my news alerts this evening- The Killers covered The Raspberries' Go All The Way for the DS film (it plays over the closing credits), and you can hear an audio-only (with a still photo of Tim Burton and I guess the band members) of the song on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFg9aXJVLaI

Articles:
http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-killers-cover-raspberries-go-all-way
http://www.nme.com/news/the-killers/63782

I'd meant to remark on the song after seeing the movie, but forgot all about it.  I knew it wasn't the Raspberries' original, but I really enjoyed it playing at the end of the film, and I was irked that it's not on the Soundtrack.  I wonder why they couldn't include it??  And the whole thing about it only being an mp3 format or as a $$$ import is just bothersome!   [ghost_tongue]

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2012, 04:08:39 AM »
i'm not sure what this means but i just came from seeing it a second time...

a funny 6 o'clock showing near where i work with only about 15 people in the theater.

still processing.
I wouldn't read too much into a dead Monday showing at that hour. When a new movie comes out, I usually see it between 4 and 6 on the first Friday. It's usually much slower than the other offerings. People are leaving work, having dinner, etc. It's not a good sign, but I'd not read a lot of dire forbodings into it either. I think next weekend will be telling.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2012, 04:13:57 AM »
15 is not good at all unless everyone went to get a bite.

WB Pictures tweeted this 15 minutes ago. Why on earth are they still trying to sell this as a comedy? The linked trailer is not the one they should be showing.

Warner Bros Pictures‏@wbpictures

#JohnnyDepp is "devilishly dapper" and "hilarious" as Barnabas Collins - #DarkShadows is now playing nationwide! http://youtu.be/U9UZwJDe0Gs

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2012, 04:35:53 AM »
sorry i didn't mean how many people were in the theater but more what it meant that i went to see it again after the negative reaction i had to the film's climactic scene the first time around.

i knew it would be quiet at that time which is one of the reasons i went.

Online ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2012, 05:45:35 AM »
Just in time for the new movie, here's an interview with Alexandra Isles about DS and working with Jonathan Frid: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/original-dark-shadows-tv-actress-remembers-past-lives-191456566.html

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2012, 06:14:38 AM »
^ Oops yeah, I was going to add Dark Knight Rises to the list of blockbusters,

Oh, I wasn't criticizing at all, I swear!

michael c, I thought of you when I watched the train scene (nice that they devoted more than a little screen time to that, yes?) and hope you enjoyed it better the 2nd time around.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
thanks midnite,

the train scene was lovely. i just found the "magtoria" angle discombobulating.

i can't decide "who" that character really is.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
Half the time I never bother to watch video of any of The Vampire Diaries' casts' talk show appearances. But something must have told me to watch this one because when the original DS is brought up it leads to talk about the DS film's after party, which the actor attended:

Vampire Diaries' Steven R. McQueen ... on Good Day LA on May 9, 2012 (VIDEO)

4 days 12 hours 57 minutes 53 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
On Monday DS retained the second spot with a quite respectable $2,311,455 (especially opposite The Avengers), bringing its current domestic gross to $31,996,729

Monday Box Office

4 days 15 hours 52 minutes 39 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
Thanks MB.  I was just poking around in BOM for some lifetime totals, because there've been a lot of articles the last few days implying that Depp isn't loved anymore and DS is a failure, etc. etc. because it couldn't knock one of the biggest blockbusters EVER from the #1 spot   [ghost_rolleyes]   But I hadn't seen today's total yet.  Mainly, we Depp fans were saying that if you take the 4 Pirates films and Alice In Wonderland out of the equation, the box office of the rest of his films haven't really been that extraordinary, and we shouldn't have expected DS to be an extraordinary box office hit.  Other than Platoon (one of Johnny's first films in which he had a very small role) and 21 Jump Street (in which he has a small uncredited cameo), he's only had 8 films that made over $100 million.  So, we just don't see DS as the sinking ship that some of the media would like to claim it is!  (And MB, I know you always like to point out the "failure" of The Tourist not really being a box office failure at all, but for the entertainment media, it makes a good story  [ghost_rolleyes])

Anyway, a couple of points.  First, DS's Sunday to Monday decline is about the same as that for The Avengers (-74.8% vs. -74.4%).  Second, another recent horror film, The Raven, which I thought looked pretty good from the trailers but which got ripped apart in the reviews, has made less than half of what DS has made already ($14.9 million).  Why isn't anyone ripping on John Cusack?  [ghost_wink]  DS will probably pass Cabin In The Woods (currently at $39.9 million) this weekend.  This seems a lot of hoopla about nothing.  I would like to see DS top $100 million.  I don't think that is guaranteed- we'll have to see how sharply it drops.  But I think it will end up looking respectable compared to similar films in this genre.  Just MHO.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #163 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
Great post ! Thanks so much.

I am still also staying very optimistic about Dark Shadows. If we could make a million a day and then rake in a good sum this weekend then DS should make a respectable amount of money.  Hopefully, THE AVENGERS will slow down by then. 

I have a question?  Does DVD sales factor in when a sequel is being considered??

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »
Thanks for posting the box office figures. I don't think WB is considering thoughts of a sequel at this time. I think the studio is very concerned just to break even at this point in time. I read somewhere to break even the movie would have to gross at least $300 million worldwide. I would think DVD sales may help in consideration of possible sequels. The HR says the DS movie opened strongly overseas. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-1-billion-international-gross-324745