Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348784 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »
He mentions specifically a subplot involving David and Barnabas being cut already by the time he was shown a workprint.

The curse of Dark Shadows:  an elaborate narrative is constructed; studio suits bark "cut it down, boys!" the feckless auteurs scamper to obey, and the result is a hash.

Sound familiar?

G.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »
I went the midnight screening last night.  Two words - "hot mess."

I plan to pen a review later today, but here's my quickie reaction...

The film can't seem to find its footing.  It's all style and very little substance.  It starts out with a splendidly gothic, but very rushed prologue which ultimately turns out to be the best part of the movie.  Once Barnabas is released, the film can't decide if it wants to be comedy or a drama.  The term "dramady" doesn't work either because that implies a seamless meshing of those elements, which is far from the case here.  The comedy undercuts any sense of drama or tragedy and I couldn't really feel for any of the characters.  Equally troubling is the fact that they try to cram everything including the kitchen sink into a two hour film.  The excess of characters and throwaway plot threads results in undeveloped characters and "out of nowhere" ideas.  The "real world" elements completely destroyed the "dark Brigadoon" element I so loved in the OS. HBC was terrible, Eva Green was a very one-dimensional villain, and Chloe Moretz overplayed the angsty teen bit.  Johnny Lee Miller is utterly wasted to the point where Barnabas' reaction to Roger's behavior seems a bit extreme in light of the fact that we only really get maybe one or maybe two scenes of Roger being a real d-bag.  The classic series actors were onscreen for all of 3 seconds.  At my screening, KLS' line was truncated.  They cut into that scene in the middle of her sentence.  What did she say??  I'm not sure if they were changing reels at that point or if it was just bad editing. 

The visuals are stunning.  Collinwood and the town of Collinsport look fantastic.  In typical Tim Burton fashion, the visual takes precedence over the stortelling.  Bella Heathcote put in a nice turn as Magtoria.  Magtoria was a bit of fan service I think - trying to get both characters in by merging them.  However, there isn't enough buildup between her and Barnabas.  There is so much going on that nothing gets adequately developed.  Depp...  Okay, I can see Depp's love for Frid's Barnabas here.  He tries to channel classic Barnabas in his voice and gestures and I appreciate that to some extent.  I love that he kept the trademark look of the character too, but he is playing it almost like he's a kid pretending to be Barnabas.  "Hey Tim, imagine how Barnabas must have reacted to lava lamps and troll dolls!"  "OMG Johnny!  That's so funny!  We should totally do that!"  Sigh.  Michelle Pfeiffer was actually quite good as Liz.  I did get a sense at times that her tongue was planted in her cheek, but overall she played the role with conviction and seemed to capture the strong spirit of Elizabeth.  Gulliver McGrath was more or less wasted in a role that could have been something great.  I saw some great potential in him.  Johnny Lee Miller was an interesting Willie but ultimately he serves more as an underused sidekick than anything else.   It was fun hearing some nods to the classic show (Barnabas' line about Victoria's name, the "Secret Room" Cobert riff, etc).

I saw snatches of DS here and there.  In between the tangle of characters, lame gags, and multiple half-conceived ideas, there was some genuine DS happening.  Unfortunately, these moments were fleeting at best and simply made me yearn for what could have been.  In the end, this plays more like a messy satire of the classic show.  I sense they were trying to play to every demographic and taste by infusing everything they could into the film, which resulted in an unsatisfying and haphazard amalgam of disparate elements.  I am disappointed, but not angry.  I merely shook my head at the end at the end of the film and walked out of the quiet movie theater (there were about 15 people there total and I was the only one who stayed to through the end credits.

BTW - Where was Cobert's DS theme?  I'm surprised they didn't use it at all. 

ProfStokes, your theory about Vicki is EXCELLENT and I think that's exactly what happened.

As for....

[spoiler]... Laura, I got the vibe that she's some sort of banshee considering how her scream sent Angelique flying into the chandelier.  Or maybe it's one of her weird "ghost" powers?  She didn't seem like a phoenix in this version.[/spoiler]

Full review will be on my blog later on.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »
Sorry, meant to type Jackie Earle Haley as Willie.  An additional thought on him - don't go in expecting the wonderfully complex Willie of John Karlen.  Gone is the utter sleaze who becomes humbled by something far darker and more wicked than he.  JEH plays Willie with a bit more humor and much less depth, but his isn't the "Zoinks Scoob!" portrayal of Jim Fyfe either.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 05:28:29 PM »
New interview with SGS. He says there was like a whole movie that was deleted from the final version. Look forward in seeing that!

Ya know, even though I was disappointed with this film, reading what SGS says makes me dream that they'll put together a  three-to-four-hour version on home video that actually has character development (this movie is almost as bad as HODS in that dept.) and extended/new scenes that make the Barnabas/Angelique battle and the finale more palatable.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 05:51:28 PM »
Great review, Penny!  I look forward to your blog take.

At my screening, KLS' line was truncated.  They cut into that scene in the middle of her sentence.  What did she say?? 

She says, "Thank you for having us."

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on [spoiler]Laura.  A banshee would be a great addition, since we never saw one on DS the series.  In the first dining room scene, Dr. Hoffman makes a remark to the effect that David thinks his mother is a being who comes back to life periodically (I can't remember the exact wording), so I thought they were resurrecting the phoenix plot.  However, they never went anywhere with it.[/spoiler]

Taeylor, I'm glad that you at least enjoyed the film. You deserve to, after your long anticipation. :)

jimbo, thank you for sharing the SGS interview.  I'm very curious to see those deleted scenes, though I'm loathe to buy this movie when it does come out...

ProfStokes

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Have to say I LOVED Tim and Johnny's take on the show. It's true they probably could have delve a bit deeper into the storyline than they did, but instead of harping on that, I say I like how they rearranged the story to make it their own.

Taeylor pretty much put down everything that I found right about the movie. I noticed Johnny did take couple of lines from Jonathan's Barnabas, but I didn't mind one bit. I think he did much justice to the role of Barnabas Collins.

Certainly didn't expect them to [spoiler] kill off Julia, but as suggested by the end, if there is a sequel, she'll probably be back. Roger may have run off at the moment but again, if a sequel happens, he just may return. [/spoiler]

The movie had its humorous bits, but it didn't strike me as being nearly as comical as the trailers suggested, which was a pleasant surprise to me. I might just go see it again.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »
I went the midnight screening last night.  Two words - "hot mess."

Were you at the Showcase Cinemas in Worcester? I drove by on my way home from work and saw quite a few vehicles in the parking area.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Penny, thanks for that delicious review.  "A hot mess!"  I love it!

Best,

Uncle Gothick

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 06:32:34 PM »
It's good to get a variety of opinions from fans on this forum. Professor Stokes, thank you especially for your painstakingly detailed and careful critique ... it's more than enough for me to take my cue. And great to see Ben posting here!

Here's a review I saw in print this morning, which brought me to the forum again on my lunch break:

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/movies/150971585.html
Excerpt:
"Dark Shadows" opens promisingly, downshifts after 30 minutes, and sputters into a meandering, momentum-free mess.

Ben makes an excellent point about those reviewing the movie who knew nothing about the original. I think I'll trust the reviews of long-time members of this forum, who have knowledge and discernment, over the "professional" reviewers.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
He mentions specifically a subplot involving David and Barnabas being cut already by the time he was shown a workprint.

The curse of Dark Shadows:  an elaborate narrative is constructed; studio suits bark "cut it down, boys!" the feckless auteurs scamper to obey, and the result is a hash.

Sound familiar?

My work will never be truly finished, will it?  :-)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
Just thought I would mention that the movie garnered a rave review from the New York Times today.

Maybe it's East Coast snobbery at work, but I think that's an exceptional enough event to deserve notice.

We don't seem to be linking reviews here so I will forebear, and I read it in the PAPER version anyway, not the website--yes, some of us are antediluvian enough to still read actual newspapers.

shuffling back off to the elephants graveyard,

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »
Thanks Cousins for your reviews. The LA Times did a piece on the set designs. Click on photos for larger views. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2012/05/dark-shadows-set-design.html

David

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 07:23:51 PM »
Overall, I enjoyed the film. I thought Depp/Pfeiffer did a great job of mimicking the Frid/Bennett habit of staring soulfully off into the direction of the teleprompter.
I thought the "thing" Julia Hoffman did to Barnabas and the revelation of Carolyn's secret were too far out of left field--though the Hoffman "thing" was hilarious (I won't reveal them here)

I didn't care for the video-game styled climactic battle between Barnabas & Anglique--too many CGI effects have spoiled many decent movies.
Visually the film is stunning. I hope it makes a fortune so we get more movies, a new TV series, a return of the original to the air, not to mention 10 more years of audio dramas and comics.
I'll be reviewing the film in Bay Area Reporter (San Francisco) and Commonwealth Journal (Kentucky).

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »
Here's a link to the New York Times review. They labeled it a "critic's pick."

I may be even more antedeluvian than Gothick--I actually listen to the radio in the morning! Here's a review from WNYC.

*shuffles back off to the dinosaurs' graveyard*

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 09:17:04 PM »
LOL, DarkLady!

cheers,

Gothick