Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350629 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1455 on: December 19, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
As much as I love Eva Green's performance in the film, she probably has a snowball's chance in hell of being nominated - not when there are so many other performances that the Academy would consider prestige performances, like, say, Sally Field in Lincoln, or Anne Hathaway in Les Miserable, or Maggie Smith in The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, all of whom are generating big Oscar buzz.

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1456 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:43 PM »
There are still only 5 nominees each for lead actor, lead actress, supporting actor, and supporting actress.  There can be up to 10 films nominated, but they changed the rules again last year and there can be less than 10 films if they want to nominate less (I think there were 9 last year). 

The only time I think DS or its actors might have had a shot would've been for the Golden Globes, which has separate categories for drama and comedy/musical (Plus they love Johnny and have nominated him more often than most if not all of the other awards organizations).  But those awards have already been announced, and DS got nada :(  Oh well!

Another thing to think about the Scream awards, or other awards that focus on horror/sci-fi.  It might have more chances for some of those.  I don't recall what time of year when those awards occur.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1457 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
Answering my own question, the Scream awards were held in October in 2011, but for some reason the ceremony was cancelled this year   [santa_huh]   I don't know if that means they are going to stop having them or not.

The other big horror awards are the Saturn Awards,  This year, the awards were held in July, and covered the period of films released from Feb. 2011 thru the end of Jan. 2012.  So DS will be eligible this coming year, but we'll have a while to wait before hearing about any nominations.

There may be other horror awards, too, or MTV or Teen Choice might have a "best villain" category and such.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: December 19, 2012, 09:53:56 PM »
And yet another batch (though smaller than usual (7)) of new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. And be careful of spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.  [santa_wink]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 19, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »
There may be other horror awards, too, or MTV or Teen Choice might have a "best villain" category and such.

The only nominations that I'm currently aware of are the ones the film and Depp received for the upcoming People's Choice Awards. And honestly I was surprised by those. Not because I don't think the film and Depp deserve recognition - but because the nominations are voted on by the public, and when it comes to DS fandom, at least, I'm not sure that any incentive was given to fans to vote for Depp and the film. (We here on the forum certainly had no idea the nominations were available for preliminary voting.) And that means that the general public is in all probability who's most likely greatly responsible for the nominations being included in the final round of voting. Though on the plus side, that would seem to put a stake in the heart of any notion that so many journalists and Web sites seem to have that the general public didn't respond well to the film.  [santa_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 19, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
Just asking here on the off chance that someone might know--have sales figures been posted anywhere for the Depp Shadows discs (both formats), or for the 1970s DS feature films?  I'm curious as to how well the discs are selling.

The Netflix Depp Shadows disc, unsurprisingly, was specially produced for rental (and included several notices in Chinese, Bahasa, Korean, Thai, and maybe at least one other south/east Asian language about copyright protocols).  It had a bevy of around ten trailers that one had to fast forward through to get to the menu screen.  Trailer no. 5 or 6 was for Night of DS.  It was nice to see that.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 19, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
If one goes back to the October posts in this topic, one will see that both the Depp/DS DVD and Blu-ray did very well in both sales and rentals for the first few weeks it was out - as well as doing well for on demand (it was actually at #1 the week of October 15th, beating The Avengers, which is something I doubt many of us ever thought would happen). It's hard to get an overall idea since that time because most lists only feature the top 10-15 DVDs and Blu-rays. Though even though I haven't checked every week, I've yet to see the DVD/Blu-ray Combo pack out of the top 50 on Amazon, or the DVD out of the top 200.  [santa_smiley]  Most reports have been that the DVD and Blu-ray releases will easily generate $200 million in worldwide revenue for the film, if not actually more.  [santa_thumb]

(On the other hand, I haven't seen either of the two original films on any sales/rentals/on demand lists. And as far as Amazon goes, both films have seemed to remain ranked in the thousands. Though that's not to say that they're not making money for Warner Brothers. That all depends on how much money Warner Brothers put into them - and that would seemingly be not much at all.  [santa_angry]  [santa_sad])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 20, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »
Well - maybe some Web sites really have finally gotten the memo:

2012's Box Office Bombs

And the Depp/DS film is nowhere to be seen on their list of 25.  [santa_thumb]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: December 20, 2012, 08:38:45 PM »
Thanks, MB, for the info about the disc sales.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 25, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
Just when you think you've seen every video online related to the Depp/DS film, you can discover others that you haven't seen (thanks to looking up something entirely different related to The Vampire Diaries). So, as a Christmas present, here's a link to videos in which Michelle Pfeiffer, Chloe Moretz, Bella Heathcote, Eva Green, and Tim Burton decide whether or not they'd like to be a witch, a vampire, or a werewolf:

Vampire Diaries Trivia: Which Witch Is Witch?
(For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to post the direct URLs to each video (not even with displaying the HTML source of the page) - but just scroll down to the "Related Videos" section and links to the videos will be more than apparent.)

Enjoy!  [santa_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 26, 2012, 08:20:34 PM »
And yet another batch (though smaller than usual (7)) of new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board.

And I've just posted the remaining 7 new screen caps/set ups in that group of 14. And as always, be careful of spoilers if you haven't already seen the film.  [santa_wink]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: December 26, 2012, 10:49:15 PM »
So far the DS movie has escaped the Razzies Worst remake, sequel poll. Voting ends January 9th. However, movies can still be added. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/robot_monster_in_3d/news/1926557/vote_for_the_worst_remake_rip-off_or_sequel/?hub=12

Re: Depp's 2012 movie DVD sales. It's true we don't have the latest earnings but as of November 4, 2012 the Blu-ray sales in units were at 357,7391 and the DVD as of November 11, 2012 were at 914,794. Combined it has done very well domestically and we don't know about its international sales yet. (as per the-numbers.com website)

David

« Reply #1467 on: December 30, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »
Chris Alexander, editor of Fangoria Mag, just put Depp Shadows on his ten best list!
 [8_2_59]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
Chris Alexander, editor of Fangoria Mag, just put Depp Shadows on his ten best list!

Yay!  His 2012 favorites list is currently at the top here: http://www.facebook.com/chris.alexander.54966834 and I'm right there in the minority with him.  [santa_thumb]  Thanks, David.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: December 31, 2012, 01:21:37 AM »
I just watched the movie for the 3rd time.  First time in the cinema and twice since I bought it last weekend and I just love this movie!  Sure there are a few odd ball things I would change but in many ways Burton stuck to what was the core of DS.  Barnabas was loyal to the Collins family name.  I just overlook the goofy crap.
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"