Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349464 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1380 on: October 23, 2012, 09:19:59 PM »
Now, don't forget people, that even though this film played in theaters for almost half a year, made hundreds-of-millions of dollars, and is outselling in droves other DVD's, it's a "flop."   [BOO]

Gerard

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: October 24, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
(And as a side note, several of my friends who rent films rather than buy have complained that quite often the rental copy of a DVD/Blu-ray doesn't even contain all or even any of the extras, so that makes me presume that in a lot of cases rental companies get "rental only" copies from the distributors - and unless someone renting is aware of all the extras on the retail copies, they may not even be aware that what they'd gotten was a "rental only" copy.)

Yes, that seems to be happening more and more.  (Some companies actually even put "Rental" on the disc label itself!)  I'm quite sure this is to encourage people to buy retail copies to get the bonus features.

David

« Reply #1382 on: October 25, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
 [candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull] [candle_in_skull]

The film has made another $100,000.00 in Venezuela, where the total gross is now just under $1.6 million.
Still no update on the total overseas gross from Box Office Mojo.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: October 25, 2012, 05:33:55 PM »
Thanks for the Venezuelan update, David.  [hall2_smiley]  And I agree with madscntst that it's nice that the film is doing so well there.  [hall2_wink]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is now out on DVD/Blu-ray!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: October 25, 2012, 09:55:12 PM »
Now, don't forget people, that even though this film played in theaters for almost half a year, made hundreds-of-millions of dollars, and is outselling in droves other DVD's, it's a "flop."   [BOO]

The sad thing is that there will be many times when that will be said - and no doubt for years to come.  [sad3]

The Depp/Burton Dark Shadows played in US theaters for at least 161 days/23 weeks!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: October 25, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »
And once again as some have already noticed, I've posted another batch of new screen caps and set ups to the film's Complete this Phrase / Fill in the blank(s) board. Beware of possible spoilers.  [hall2_wink]

And something I forgot to mention the last time I posted new screen caps  is that there was a new preface:

BRT = Blue-ray Trailer - and larger versions of those captures are only 848X480.

And today there was another new preface:

GER = German Trailer.

Also, as a follow-up to this screen cap that was posted last time of Rick Heinrichs' conception of Collinwood's Grand Foyer:

This time around I've posted an actual shot from the film from the same basic angle:

And it really is quite fascinating just how closely the actual set resembles the sketch. There are only a few different touches here or there.

And finally, the actual dressing of the Grand Foyer set brings up something that I've been meaning to get into but keep forgetting: namely, why is a portrait of Josette so prominently hanging in the room? We can certainly understand why there are portraits of Joshua, Naomi, and, of course, Barnabas hanging in the room - they all lived at Collinwood and were members of the Collins family - but why Josette? Granted, she was quite obviously Barnabas' great love. But so far as we know she was his girl friend and not his wife and, therefore, not a member of the family. Or was she his wife? The film as it's edited never actually spells it out - and could it possibly be that we as fans merely assume Josette is his girl friend and not his wife because Barnabas and Josette have never been married in any other version of DS?

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: October 25, 2012, 10:33:06 PM »
Perhaps the portrait was a wedding or engagement present.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: October 27, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
While over on YouTube I discovered another Barnabas/Angelique fan video that's worth sharing:

Barnabas and Angelique - Lay All Your Love On Me

The choice of footage to illustrate the lyrics is really quite well done. And "sharing your 'devotion'," indeed, at the 2:25-2:32 mark!  [naughty]  [lghy]

Now that the DVD/Blu-ray of the film is out, I wonder if any of the fans who put together these videos might redo them with better quality footage?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: October 28, 2012, 02:55:51 PM »
Wow, I couldn't agree more, MB-- the video maker made great use of that song.  It's a shame the picture quality isn't better.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1389 on: October 31, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »
Small tidbit:  Johnny has won a "Cancer Bites" 2012 Fright Night award for

Favorite Actor I would like to “Sink my Teeth Into”: Johnny Depp

[hall2_smiley]

Unfortunately, the vampire movie of the year went to Breaking Dawn pt. 1 rather than DS   [hall2_tongue]  Ian Sommerhalder won for TV or movie vampire.

A list of winners:
Cancer Bites / Fright Night Awards

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: October 31, 2012, 05:03:02 PM »
I just returned from a trip to Seattle.  We flew JetBlue and Depp Shadows was on offer as one of the in-flight films.  I missed seeing it both going out and returning, however, for various reasons, although my companion did watch it going out.  She asked me a bunch of questions about the movie story vis a vis the original series (which she has never seen--however, she is a huge Buffy fan).

The other films on offer included Madagascar 3, The Amazing Spiderman, and I think something by Wes Anderson (but don't quote me).

I did see a number of people playing the movie on the flight out.  It was a little surprising to look up from my book and see the face of BarnaDepp looming out from various nearby screens!

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: October 31, 2012, 05:37:28 PM »
Thanks so much for the info, madscntst and Gothick.  [hall2_smiley]

And as for the Fright Night Awards, I didn't even realize they were being held or that DS and Depp (and The Vampire Diaries) were nominated or that the public could vote for them. Oh well... But it's nice to see that Depp (and TVD) were represented in the winners. (And it was also nice to see that The Woman in Black got some love because that film is excellent but has really been overlooked for the most part.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: October 31, 2012, 08:34:40 PM »
And yet again as some have already noticed, I've posted another batch of new screen caps - but this time they're on the film's Caption This! board. And of course, beware of possible spoilers.  [hall2_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: October 31, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »
I was just over on Amazon checking on the progress of my order of the original DS films and I saw that the DVD/Blu-ray Combo for this film listed for $14.99. At first I thought it was some sort of typo - but when I clicked on it, sure enough, the actual page says $14.99/58% discount! So I checked the DVD for the film, and it's now $9.99/66% discount!!

Who knows how long those prices may go on, so if you're someone who wants either version but thought the original prices were too much, now may be the time to snap them up before the prices go back to what they were! I've definitely grabbed some copies for Christmas gifts!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 01, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
And today yet another batch of new screen caps and set ups have been posted to the film's Complete This Phrase / Fill In The Blank(s) board. And as always, beware of spoilers, especially when there was a particularly big one posted today!  [hall2_wink]

Also, it looks like the DVD/Blu-ray Combo and the DVD are still selling for the reduced price on Amazon, so apparently it wasn't just some sort of day of Halloween promotion. But I've also noticed that several other Warner Brothers DVDs/Blu-rays are also reduced, so perhaps it's some sort of Warner Brothers promotion.