Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350502 times)

David

Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1245 on: September 20, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before: I'm watching my review copy of the film. Not only can KL Scott be clearly heard saying "thank you for having us" at the party, but J Frid can be heard saying "Good evening". Depp replies "good evening" in return.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #1246 on: September 21, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not, but when I logged on to Xbox Live today the DS movie is already available for purchase and download through the Zune store, and there is a free 10 minute preview which is the first 10 minutes of the film. I'm half tempted to buy it early just so I can watch it, even though I want the physical copy. If only I had expendable income.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:36 AM »
David, do you have the DVD, Blu Ray, or combo? If you have the DVD, what special features are on it. I have a number of combo packs and I'm borderline about buying a blu ray player. I have my eye on one and might buy it if the DVD has very few features.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 21, 2012, 02:48:26 AM »
The best ten minutes of the film available for free?!  Wish I had Xbox! 

David

« Reply #1249 on: September 21, 2012, 05:58:18 AM »
I have the combo--the Blu Ray has numerous deleted scenes not on the DVD. Which I can't watch since I don't have a Blu Ray Player, but that'll change soon!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: September 21, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before: I'm watching my review copy of the film. Not only can KL Scott be clearly heard saying "thank you for having us" at the party, but J Frid can be heard saying "Good evening". Depp replies "good evening" in return. 

Wow!  I can't wait until I get a chance to see it again.  I certainly didn't notice that at the time, and it bothered me that they included them in the movie and then barely even showed them.  How nice to know that they actually said something!
Josette

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1251 on: September 21, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
I didn't see this posted yet- here is a New York Times interview with Tim Burton, discussing among other things how some view his frequent collaborations with Johnny and Helena.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/movies/tim-burton-at-home-in-his-own-head.html

On Page 4, Tim directly addresses the DS box office: "Even the fact that it was deemed a failure — financially, it wasn’t really. It may not have set the world on fire, but it made its money back plus some, so I can tick that off as not being a total disaster. There’s some people that I talk to that liked it. “Alice” got critically panned. It made over a billion, I guess, whatever. “Ed Wood” got a lot of critical acclaim, it was a complete bomb. It all has a weird way of balancing itself out."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: September 21, 2012, 03:51:27 PM »
Not sure whether to be jealous of the DVD or not, since I don't know you...  [ghost_undecided]

MB can verify that I'm very sexy! [ghost_cheesy]

But I've never met you.  [ghost_undecided]

133 days 10 hours 51 minutes 27 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

10 days 13 hours 8 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: September 21, 2012, 04:01:01 PM »
I was in Las Vegas last week and DS was advertised as one of the movies available on PPV in the hotel room (for "only" $11.95).
Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not, but when I logged on to Xbox Live today the DS movie is already available for purchase and download through the Zune store, and there is a free 10 minute preview which is the first 10 minutes of the film.

This is all quite fascinating considering that the DVD/Blu-ray release is still more than a week off.

And speaking of fascinating, DS continues to play in Hooksett, NH - and still with the same amount of showings during the week.  [ghost_cool]  All that despite the fact that there continue to be changes at the theater because What To Expect When You're Expecting and The Cabin In The Woods, both of which were down to playing only once a day, have closed and Hit And Run has opened.

133 days 11 hours 1 minute 1 second since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

10 days 12 hours 58 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: September 21, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
Wow! Two months in Hooksett, New Hampshire! There's a joke in there someplace, I'm sure.  [ghost_wink] Seriously, I'm glad that it's still playing!
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: September 21, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »
On Page 4, Tim directly addresses the DS box office: "Even the fact that it was deemed a failure — financially, it wasn’t really. It may not have set the world on fire, but it made its money back plus some

If that is true - and I don't really have reason to doubt Burton because he would certainly be in a position to know - then all the people who are insistent that the film was a bomb should STFU! Though we know they won't, just as we know many of them will continue to say Depp's The Tourist was a bomb.  [ghost_rolleyes]

It also goes to show that all the Web sites/entertainment outlets that have guesstimated that DS cost $150 million or more were way off base if the film has already made a profit. We still haven't tallied all the foreign box office that has been reported on Box Office Mojo but never officially reported, but DS has surely surpassed the $250 million worldwide mark because it was already over $240 million back in July soon after it opened in the Latin American countries. So, going by the 2.5 rule that everyone seems to use to judge a film's financial success, if DS is already profitable, then it can't have cost more than around $100 million, which is the figure Variety reported and everyone who insists the film was a flop is ignoring.

Thanks so much for the link, madscntst!  [ghost_smiley]

133 days 11 hours 21 minutes 10 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

10 days 12 hours 38 minutes 50 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

David

« Reply #1256 on: September 21, 2012, 04:57:36 PM »
But I've never met you.  [ghost_undecided]

But we've had "special moments" here at the Forum!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #1257 on: September 22, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »
This is all quite fascinating considering that the DVD/Blu-ray release is still more than a week off.

What I find interesting about the whole thing is the fact that apparently this is a new norm for the release of movies. The only reason I found this out in the first place is because I'm getting ready to move and I packed up my Bluray player, but I bought The Cabin in the Woods on Bluray. It came with a code for a digital download and an Ultraviolet copy. Long story short, I didn't pack the Xbox and there is an "app" that you can download on the Xbox called Vudu where you can redeem your Ultraviolet copy of any film, which is what I did so I could watch my newly purchased movie. But, Vudu is also a rental service and you can buy movies directly from there.

There are several titles that are perhaps more "artsy" or considered "B movies", like Bachelorette with Kirsten Dunst and "Arbitrage" with Richard Gere that are actually still playing in theaters but you can also rent them through this service. However, for "major" films like DS, you can BUY the movie and watch it, but you cannot RENT it until October 2nd, which is the physical release date.

It seems as if they have some way of deciding whether or not to do this based on the films appeal and success. For example, "The Avengers" is not available for purchase, even though it will be released on the 25th. Perhaps because that was such a major box office smash the production company is building up tension so that upon release they can make the most money by making people wait for one of the biggest films of the year. For DS, however, it seems that the object is to make money however possible. And by making the film available early through digital download it's just possible that someone of a younger age who is curious about the film would buy it purely via impulse rather than wait for it to come out on October 2nd.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

David

« Reply #1258 on: September 22, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »
another half million dollars has just been added to the overseas gross, that's $2 million total added in the past week, according to Box Office Mojo.
no idea which countries this is coming from.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: September 22, 2012, 03:46:44 PM »
Though even with the two latest additions to the foreign gross, the tally is still way behind because based on the countries that Box Office Mojo had reported as of July 31st, which only covered grosses as of July 22nd and which I'd tallied up and posted in a chart, at the very least the foreign gross had to be $161,358,837. And that was without all the foreign numbers for all the countries having been reported as of July 22nd - not to mention that the foreign numbers through July 29th had yet to be reported at all. So, a figure of $159 million is still more than two months behind being complete and accurate. But still, it is nice to see foreign numbers trickling in because it's certainly much better than no updates at all.  [ghost_wink]

134 days 10 hours 46 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

9 days 13 hours 13 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!