Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348991 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1215 on: September 16, 2012, 12:52:04 AM »
"I shall make you love me."
"With what?  A spell?"
"With this!"
"Oh!"

Now that was ten times funnier than what was in the movie.

Oh, I don't know - I like the "I must admit they haven't aged a day."  [ghost_grin]  Plus Barnabas probably does say "Oh" before he makes that remark. But I guess you would have preferred it had ended there. But I suppose it's all a matter of personal taste.  [ghost_wink]

127 days 19 hours 52 minutes 4 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

16 days 4 hours 7 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 16, 2012, 01:07:40 AM »
Very much enjoyed the deleted scenes. They brought some more depth to some of the characters who got shortchanged on screen time. I wish there had been something with Roger.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 16, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »
Very much enjoyed the deleted scenes. They brought some more depth to some of the characters who got shortchanged on screen time. I wish there had been something with Roger.

I thought it wasn't released yet.  How did you see deleted scenes?
Josette

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1218 on: September 16, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »
Hey Josette, there are deleted scenes online now  [ghost_smiley]  I posted about it yesterday or so, but it got buried on the page before this one on the thread.  Here is my post again with the link.

Comic Book Movie has posted 5 deleted scenes! ...

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #1219 on: September 16, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
I thought the movie had plenty of humor that I myself could appreciate, but not so much that the film itself can be really called a 'comedy'. But as you say MB, it's a matter of personal taste.

I think the word 'dramedy' would best describe the movie.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 16, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »
I think the word 'dramedy' would best describe the movie.

Definitely, IluvBarnabas. I don't know how anyone who has actually seen the film could describe it as a comedy - and I have no idea why Warner Brothers insists on still promoting it as such with their choice of review quotes on the DVD/Blu-ray packaging. But then, we're never likely to fully understand the marketing campaign. All I know for sure is that I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when they came up with it because the debates must have been fascinating.  [ghost_wink]

128 days 10 hours 44 minutes 21 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

15 days 13 hours 15 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: September 16, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Hmmm - while checking through the previous posts for original series' Ep #299, might I have discovered another inspiration for the film on our Games boards:

Setup:

'Miss' Hoffman knew she had been fully accepted at Collinwood when Roger asked her to look at his...
...troll collection.

Who knew the troll collection might have been Roger's:

[ghost_grin]

And while I'm at it posting photos, I came across this one while I was looking for the Barnabas/trolls still:

And as we will recall, the Web site that posted the behind the scenes photos of the Beckenham Place Park shoot implied that the dogs played a part in the scenes being shot. But did we even see dogs chasing Maggie when she escaped from Windcliff?

128 days 12 hours 7 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

15 days 11 hours 52 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

David

« Reply #1222 on: September 17, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »
It looks like $1.5 million was just added to the overseas gross No idea where the money came from,

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
Hey Josette, there are deleted scenes online now  [ghost_smiley]  I posted about it yesterday or so, but it got buried on the page before this one on the thread.  Here is my post again with the link.

I might have been reading too fast to realize that's what that was!  Thank you for repeating the link; I'll have to check those out.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: September 17, 2012, 04:10:38 PM »
For some reason my DVR didn't list who was going to be on ES.TV this morning, so just for the fun of it I recorded it. And what did it end up being but the show with Chloe Moretz and Bella Heathcoate. Who knows why it was on again so soon after only being repeated about a month ago? And it's interesting how the ep was pulled out of its week and shown on a Monday when the first two times it was on it was a Wednesday ep. But hey, the more they want to show their DS interviews the better so far as possibly getting people interested in buying the DVD/Blu-ray goes.  [ghost_wink]

129 days 11 hours 10 minutes 38 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

14 days 12 hours 49 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: September 17, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »

I agree. All of these scenes were wonderful. They show so much about the relationships between the characters, and since the big theme of the movie was that families are the only real wealth, it's strange these got left out. Especially the one with Barnabas and David (which contains the line stating that theme). The one with Vicki and Carolyn reminds me a lot of scenes with the two characters in the original series. I wouldn't be at all surprised, though, if the MPAA objected to the smoking in that scene and might have wanted to give the film an R rating because of that...

David

« Reply #1226 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:29 AM »
 [ghost_angry]

DS inspired me to make films in the past, and to write professionally, as I do now, so I'm tired of seeing it trashed in the media.
Box Office Mojo just declared Depp Shadows one of the summer's losers, while films that grossed LESS than DS, and cost the same, are being declared winners.

F THIS BS!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: September 18, 2012, 10:05:35 AM »
I don't know how MOJO judges but perhaps expectations are coming into play here.

David

« Reply #1228 on: September 18, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
Expectations are ridiculous. Not every film produced can gross a billion dollars.
A lot of films today are being produced for way too much money.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: September 18, 2012, 03:45:54 PM »
Hmmm - strange article at Box Office Mojo. Why is that? Because back around April/May the same person who wrote it pointed out correctly that vampire films that don't include "Twilight" in their titles do not make the type of money that Depp/Burton's Alice in Wonderland ($334.2 million) or even Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ($206.5 million) did domestically, so it would be completely unrealistic for anyone to expect that DS would gross anything like what those films had grossed. Yet now he's suddenly jumped on the dump on DS bandwagon and he says that it's "inexcusable for these box office heavyweights to wind up with less than $240 million this time around." And he has to be speaking domestically because DS surpassed $240 million worldwide weeks ago. Not to mention that when he made his own forecast of what DS could take in domestically, it was something like half that amount - plus he even pointed out how opening in the shadow of The Avengers could easily affect the film's box office, which it most certainly did. So what he's saying now is something like a complete 180 of what he said only a few months ago.  [ghost_rolleyes]

However, the facts that are right on Box Office Mojo for all to see speak for themselves because domestically DS is the 9th most successful vampire film 1978-present (which is the period their chart covers). And when one considers worldwide gross, it's the 6th most successful vampire film behind the first 4 Twilight Saga films and Van Helsing. And considering that Warner Brothers has insisted on promoting the film as a comedy, they can't be all that disappointed that domestically the film is the 7th most successful horror comedy 1980-present (which is the period for that chart) and the 3rd most successful with worldwide gross, behind only Ghostbusters and Scary Movie (and besting WB's own previous topper, Gremlins). But apparently we're just supposed to ignore all that in favor of some people's flip-flopping and unrealistic expectations.

130 days 10 hours 45 minutes 54 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

13 days 13 hours 14 minutes 6 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!