Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 348649 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1200 on: September 13, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »
The trailer then continues as before with Barnabas and the family opening the doors to the dilapidated cannery all the way through Angelique propelled backwards up into the chandelier, but then instead of seeing the shot of Maggie in the straightjacket, there's a reaction shot of Barn -

(Click for larger image: Capture #2819)

- as he looks in horror after Angie has started the fire. Then, as before, we see the shot of Barn's coffin exploding open after the construction workers clip the chains, but instead of that being followed immediately by the sequence of Vicki falling from Widows' Hill and Barn jumping after her, we see Carolyn dancing by in the dining room.

(Click for larger image: Capture #2846)

(Click for larger image: Capture #2870)

(To be continued...)

125 days 16 hours 35 minutes 56 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

18 days 7 hours 24 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 13, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »
Immediately after Carolyn the trailer than picks up with the sequence on Widows' Hill, though it starts just a few frames earlier than we're used to seeing. Things continue along as always until the shot of the cannery on fire is actually followed by a shot of Vicki and Barn embracing atop Widows' Hill.

(Click for larger image: Capture #2961)

(And that tends to give the impression that Barn saved her from falling and brought her back up even though it actually takes place in the film before the fall. It's an interesting way to try to fake out what really happens.  [ghost_wink])

From there things pick up with Angie reaching out and commanding Barn to love her and him replying "Never!" However, after the point that they slam up against the wall together, the entire portion of the sex scene in which they rotate across the painting, the camera spins the shot of them up on the ceiling, and they fall to the couch and bounce off is cut and simply replaced with a shot of their dangling legs.

(Click for larger image: Capture #3032)

Things pick up with them breaking the table, but the sequence of Barn's feet bracing against the wall and Angie licking him with her forked tongue is also cut with things instead moving directly to Barnabas saying what they'd just done was regrettable.

After we then see the DS logo against the shot of Collinwood, instead of continuing with the whole "stoned" sequence, we instead see Carolyn commenting that the only thing missing from their proposed happening is Alice Cooper followed by shots of the party and Copper singing, and concluding with Barn's remark that Cooper is the ugliest woman he's ever seen. Interestingly, all of that also followed the logo/Collinwood shot in the second version of the trailer.

The trailer itself then concludes with the credits - but instead of the final shot telling people to experience the film in IMAX on May 11 - the Blu-ray release is now promoted.

(Click for larger image: Capture #3442)

I also learned something else thanks in part to the new opening page on the official site - but I probably won't get to that until tomorrow...

125 days 16 hours 38 minutes 4 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

18 days 7 hours 21 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 14, 2012, 03:36:08 AM »
Hmmm - Warner Brothers can't be too upset with the performance of the DS film because I just received a tweet on my phone from Graham King's GK Films, which as we know was one of the production companies involved with the DS film, that they've just made a first look deal with Warner Brothers. So, obviously Warner Brothers has faith in the types of films King produces.  [ghost_wink]

125 days 22 hours 36 minutes 8 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

18 days 1 hour 23 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 14, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »
And DS continues for at the very least its 7th week in Hooksett, NH. Same schedule as the past two weeks.  [ghost_cool]

As a side note, there has actually been some movement at the theater because Chimpanze and Rock of Ages, which were both playing with limited showings, have closed and been replaced by Step Up Revolution. And beyond the fact that DS has been playing so long, the fact that RoA closed must be a sign that DS has been doing well for the theater because RoA opened after DS and has closed before it. But then nationally DS has outperformed RoA in almost every conceivable way, so I suppose it's not any sort of a surprise that RoA has closed in Hooksett before DS has.  [ghost_nowink]

126 days 10 hours 46 minutes 8 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

17 days 13 hours 13 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 14, 2012, 04:51:28 PM »
I still haven't seen Depp Shadows. Does anyone know if cable typically offers new DVD or Blue Ray releases on On Demand or on a Pay Per View basis? Is that a typical occurrence? I am going to be house sitting in a place that has a TV practically the size of a double bed. I would love to see the film for the first time on that!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 14, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
Josette mentioned that Verizon FiOS will have it in their Video On Demand beginning on October 2. I would think the other major providers will as well.  [ghost_smiley]

(And BTW, let me formally and publicly welcome you back.  [hug]  Midnite and I have missed having our fellow moderator around.)

126 days 12 hours 2 minutes 28 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

17 days 11 hours 57 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 14, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
Thanx for the formal welcome back, MB,  and reiterating Josette's comments. I am now hopeful.

I sure hope I get to see it on the giant TV. I am SO eager to see it. I know I am going to love it. Thanks to some of your (and others) comments over the years about judging new DS enterprises on their own merits and not always judging (or prejudging as is usually the case) against the original series really sunk in, enabling me to at least give the other projects an sincere chance. I started to do so with Cross Shadows but unfortunately wasn't able to see the whole shebang. My point is though, that I let myself enjoy it.

Was I disappointed to learn that Depp Shadows was a comedy (of sorts, at least by what I saw in the trailers), at first, yeah, but I ended up being really okay with it because now I won't be comparing it to the original (which always used to lead to disappointment for me).

I had no idea that there is a Carolyn twist awaiting me -- something to look forward to.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1207 on: September 15, 2012, 04:18:38 PM »
Hi folks, sorry I haven't been around much lately- I've been crazy busy but have been popping in mostly every day.  Thanks for the detailed analysis of the trailer comparisons, MB!

Comic Book Movie has posted 5 deleted scenes!  These are new to me-- are they new, or am I just behind?  At any rate, here they are for your enjoyment!  (for each scene, there is a still pic and a video below it)

Five Deleted Scenes From Johnny Depp's DARK SHADOWS

I think most of these would've added a lot to the film, especially the bit about Carolyn saying nobody understands her.   Oh well   [ghost_sad]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 15, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
and vicki SMOKING!

that totally ads another dimension to the character. the bit with julia at the overlook was nice too.

these were only a few seconds long. i can't imagine why they were deleted from the cinematic release. [ghost_huh]

especially to the advantage of the overblown,overlong and preposterous "climactic scene". [ghost_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 15, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »
While I was looking to see if I could locate the Blu-ray trailer on YouTube, I was actually surprised to come across all sorts of videos dedicated to the Barnabas/Angelique relationship in the film. Not that I didn't think the film would generate a fandom all its own - we all pretty much predicted that - but, I don't know, I guess it was just the sheer amount of different videos dedicated to Barn/Angie that I found surprising because without even specifically looking for something like that, more than a dozen came up. And when I checked out a few, another thing that surprised me is that several included pirated scenes from the film that were no doubt shot with cell phones. Though maybe that shouldn't have surprised me, afterall. But anyway, here are links to some of the more interesting ones:

If ever there was a song that was perfect for the Barn/Angie relationship, it has to be Lady Gaga's Bad Romance:
Angelique and Barnabas- Bad Romance (Dark Shadows)

Though her song Teeth works really well as well (plus this one has tons of pirated footage (not that I advocate that - but it's still nice to see clips that we won't be able to see legally until after October 2nd)):
Dark Shadows - Dark Teeth (Feat. Lady Gaga)

And this one has some pirated footage not seen in the others (plus it uses an Alice Cooper song):
Barnabas & Angelique - Poison

And I particularly like these two because they're well done:
Barnabas And Angelique - my heart is broken
Dark Shadows Barnabas & Angelique Every Time We Touch

And lest anyone think the Barnabas and Josette/Vicki angle has been ignored, I also came across this rather well done video (again with pirated footage) that focuses on that relationship:
Oh I swear to you - Barnabas and Victoria/Josette

So, considering I came across over a dozen without even actually looking, it's probably anyone's guess just how many fan videos dedicated to the film there really are on YouTube.  [ghost_wink]

But getting back to what I was actually looking for, here's the Blu-ray trailer:

Dark Shadows Trailer

Considering it didn't show up on the official Web site until this week, I was honestly surprised to see that Warner Brothers posted it on YouTube back on July 31st.

And lest anyone get the wrong impression that any of this is what I was referring to the other day when I said I'd learned something thanks in part to the new opening page on the official site, it isn't. That discovery still awaits being posted because I need a DVD that I made for myself back in 2008. But I let someone borrow it back then and they never gave it back, so I need to wait until later today when they plan to finally give it back and I've been able to get at least one screen cap from it. After that I'll be able to post about my discovery.  [ghost_smiley]

127 days 12 hours 7 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

16 days 11 hours 52 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 15, 2012, 05:18:01 PM »
Comic Book Movie has posted 5 deleted scenes!  These are new to me-- are they new, or am I just behind?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to check out the scenes right now.  [ghost_sad]  However, from the descriptions of them on the Web site, it certainly looks like they're the five deleted scenes that will appear on the Blu-ray.

And as for what's written about the film at the beginning of the post, well, obviously it was written by someone who's completely unaware that there hasn't been any official reporting of the film's international box office since July 8th and the film has pulled in millions since then, particularly in the Latin American countries. But then, unless they were following the reporting of the film's box office, they certainly wouldn't know that, so we can probably look forward to who knows how many more people passing along inaccurate box office info because of the halt in official international reporting of the film's box office.  [ghost_rolleyes]

127 days 12 hours 18 minutes 1 second since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

16 days 11 hours 41 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 15, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
And as for what's written about the film at the beginning of the post, well, obviously it was written by someone who's completely unaware that there hasn't been any official reporting of the film's international box office since July 8th and the film has pulled in millions since then, particularly in the Latin American countries.
At least they made it clear that DS was not a flop, even with the lower figures on the foreign box office.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 15, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
Well, yeah, there is that. I suppose we could look at it as if we should be thankful for small favors.  [ghost_undecided]

And just as an update, I have the DVD back, so now it's just a matter of taking a few screen caps...

127 days 18 hours 39 minutes 15 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

16 days 5 hours 20 minutes 45 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 16, 2012, 12:37:36 AM »
"I shall make you love me."
"With what?  A spell?"
"With this!"
"Oh!"

Now that was ten times funnier than what was in the movie. Just goes to show you that editing was this film's curse.   SGS really made the ''humor'' drag on in the script.  Burton could have fixed it with edits, but he didn't.   [ghost_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 16, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »
If you're a fan of the BBC series Being Human (and if not, you should be), it might come as a surprise to you that Mitchell was in the DS film. But what's that you say, you didn't catch Aidan Turner in the film. Well, that's because he wasn't in it. I'm not speaking of him - I'm speaking of the original actor who played Mitchell (who, for the uninitiated, just happens to be a vampire) - the actor who played him in the pilot: Guy Flanagan, who wasn't available due to other commitments by the time the pilot finally went to series so Aidan Turner took over the role.

But let's backtrack to the other day to see how all this relates to the official US Web site for the film. As I said, the new opening page has links to various store Web sites where the Blu-ray can be pre-ordered. I checked out all of them just to make sure none of them were offering anything like exclusive bundled discs (sadly, none seem to be), and when I checked out Target's Web site, I noticed that apparently they list the names of practically every actor in the film. Imagine my surprise when I scanned the list and saw the name Guy Flanagan. Immediately I questioned in my mind if it could be the same Guy Flanagan who was in the Being Human pilot, and then it hit me: he played one of the hippies. And I've posted screen caps of him right here on the forum. But not until I saw his name on the Target Web site did I put it together that he was the bearded hippie. And then I began to wonder how it was that we could have missed his casting. But I checked through the film's topics and no one ever reported it. So apparently his name wasn't added to the IMDb cast listings until long after the film opened because some of us were still checking the list even after the film opened. But his name is indeed there now. And the credit is also listed on his own IMDb page.

And so, thanks to the fact that the Being Human pilot was so popular after it originally aired on BBC Three back in 2008 that it was made available for download (I posted about this back in '08 and recommended that people check it out), that I made a DVD for myself from the video, and I now have that DVD back in my possession, here are a couple screen caps from it along with two of the screen caps I'd posted from the DS film of the only scene featuring Guy Flanagan that's currently available to us:

I also love this particular scene in the pilot:

Does it in any way remind anyone of a certain other vampire who went outside during the day wearing a hat and sunglasses and gloves and carrying an umbrella (well, the umbrella was sometimes carried for him in the film). (And the other actor in that particular cap is Russell Tovey, one of only two of the original actors to go from the pilot to the series.)

127 days 19 hours 46 minutes 4 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

16 days 4 hours 13 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!