Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 349101 times)

David

Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1185 on: September 06, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

maybe it's still playing there in parallel time!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1186 on: September 06, 2012, 09:45:36 PM »
It's too bad that it couldn't come back for one last end-of-summer one week run, to get folks primed for the DVD release and to just get the earnings past that elusive $80M mark.  Funny, I just got a positive film review in my e-mail news alerts this morning but didn't have time to really read it.  It's been so long since any DS reviews have come up in my news alerts that it was nice that the one that popped up was a good one- hopefully folks will read that and be more interested in a DVD rental/purchase.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: September 07, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »
it's been months since most of us saw the film and posting on it's actual content, as opposed to just reports on it's box office, has slowed down greatly...

it will be interesting to see what the board looks like after the DVD is released and we can all absorb the minutia and obsess about the details. especially given the additional deleted footage.

as i've said since the get go i really think this thing will have an enormous afterlife. eventually it will just get absorbed into the DS vocabulary and even "purists" who despised it from the outset will have to get used to it as part of our strange world.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 07, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »
The movie played in theaters for almost a third of a year.  Should it remain so until the 11th, that will make it so.  That's hardly a "dud" as nay-sayers, who have learned to hate DS, Depp and Burton spout.  The movie was a money-making success.  Once again, DS reigns supreme.

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 07, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »
The movie played in theaters for almost a third of a year.  Should it remain so until the 11th, that will make it so.

It's going to be so because at the very least the DS film is still playing in Hooksett, NH with the same showings schedule as last week: 3 today, 4 tomorrow, 3 Sunday, and then 2 Monday-Thursday.  [ghost_cool]

119 days 9 hours 27 minutes 33 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

24 days 14 hours 32 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

David

« Reply #1190 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50:54 PM »
any other USA theaters or is NH it?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: September 07, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
Who knows? Like madscntst, I wish there was some Web site where we could go to find out all the theaters in which it's currently playing - but I don't know of any. About the only way to find theaters is to enter zip codes and to see what comes up. But as much as we might like to know, I seriously doubt any of us have any sort of inclination to spend who knows how long entering all the the zip codes in the book to find out.  [ghost_nowink]

119 days 14 hours 4 minutes 24 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

24 days 9 hours 55 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 08, 2012, 02:33:26 AM »
Even if it's no longer playing in any theaters to our knowledge, it did so for almost a third-of-a-year.  That speaks volumes.  Box office bomb; yeah, right.  Anyone still talking about that Avengers-or-whatever movie, or that Batman one?  Nope.  Now it's all about a dybbuk box movie.

Gerard

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #1193 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:02 AM »
Who knows? Like madscntst, I wish there was some Web site where we could go to find out all the theaters in which it's currently playing - but I don't know of any.

Back when DS was mostly in second-run theaters, I found a website (whose name and URL I no longer recall) and somehow I was able to pull up a list of every theater in the US that was showing the DS movie. I was quite pleased with my discovery, but when I went back to the website, I was immediately prompted to enter my ZIP code and I couldn't find a way to generate a nationwide list of theaters.

Perhaps I stumbled onto an intermittent portal to a PT version of the website...?  [ghost_wacko]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 11, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »
Speaking of not being able to find things again, last week I came across three stills from the DS film that I haven't seen anywhere else. I didn't mention them at the time because the scans of them were so dark that they definitely needed to be lightened so that we could fully appreciate them. So, I downloaded copies of the stills, fully intending to include the original URL to them once I got the chance to post the lightened versions. However, for the life of me I cannot find where I downloaded them from. I know it's an official Facebook page for the film, and I was absolutely sure that it was the official Latin American page because that and the official Brazilian page are the the only two pages for the film that I went to on Facebook last week - but I cannot find the post again on either. But at least I do have the stills to share:

(This was the still that appeared in the post - clicking on it brought you to a still gallery where I found the others. And, of course, this is Vicki meeting Barnabas.)

(I've posted my own screen caps from this scene that were taken from the various TV Spots, but apparently this is the official still. Also, this is taken from a slightly different angle than the way the scene was shot for the film.)

(And because there are so few stills of Roger, I was quite happy to come across this one from the scene in which Roger becomes aware that there's more to the fireplace in the drawing room than meets the eye.)

123 days 13 hours 58 minutes 44 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

20 days 10 hours 1 minute 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 11, 2012, 07:07:01 PM »
 Those are really great shots. Thank you so much for sharing them. On my last trip into NYC, I went to Jerry Ohlinger's movie memorabilia store where I have purchase many DS stills in the past. They had the poster for the 2012 movie but nothing else. Is that the norm these days?
Fade Away and Radiate

David

« Reply #1196 on: September 12, 2012, 04:20:37 AM »
The film appears to not be playing in Venezuela.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 12, 2012, 07:11:58 AM »
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet - I just discovered that Verizon FiOS will have it in their Video On Demand on October 2.
Josette

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 12, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »
Very interesting, Josette - thanks for the heads up.  [ghost_smiley]

And according to the September 7-9, 2012 Venezuelan box office chart on Box Office Mojo, DS definitely did not open in Venezuela on September 7th as was and still is indicated on the official Latin American Web site: http://warnerbroslatino.com/fechas-estreno/157. But then, the official US site still says it was supposed to open there on August 17th.  [ghost_huh]  So, who knows what's going on in that country. It's just very strange.  [ghost_undecided]

And speaking of the official US site, it now opens with a page specifically to promote the DVD/Blu-ray release and to pre-order them from Walmart, Best Buy, Target, FYE, Toys R Us (which I would never think of), and www.gohastings.com (which I've never even been to).

124 days 9 hours 58 minutes 48 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

19 days 14 hours 1 minute 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: September 13, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
if you're like me, or if you even bothered to check out the new opening page for the DVD/Blu-ray release on the film's official Web site, you didn't bother to check out/pay attention to the trailer that automatically plays on the page. But just for the fun of it I went back today to check it out, and I'm glad I did because it's somewhat different from what we've seen before because, not only does it combine elements from the first two trailers, it drops some stuff and adds some other stuff - including some completely new stuff:

The first minute and 14 seconds look to be the same as we're used to seeing numerous times already. However, once the whole part of Angelique driving up to Collinwood, entering, Barnabas turning around in the drawing room, Angie asking if Barn remembers her and him saying she's the hideous with that turned him into a vampire and we see his transformation, things begin to change. Instead of then seeing Angie closing the lid on Barn's coffin, saying she'll see him in a couple of centuries, Barn telling her in her office to kiss his posterior repeatedly, and then Angie placing her panties over his face while he's chained in the coffin, we see Angie tell Barn that she's missed him -

(Click for larger image: Capture #1815)

- and him telling her that he should have destroyed her (though why that sequence is backwards is anyone's guess - but they seem to love to do that in the trailers and TV Spots  [ghost_huh]) -

(Click for larger image: Capture #1845)

- whereupon things pick up as before with Angie sitting on the couch in the drawing room and continue that way until after Angie rips opens her dress to show her cleavage. We're used to seeing Barn remark that her breasts haven't aged a day, but in this version all he says is "Oh."

(Click for larger image: Capture #1935)

Things pick up after that with Angie sliding her behind across the piano right up through the point in which Barnabas collapses his head on the organ and says "Indeed." After that point there was a shot of Collinwood with "This summer" over it - but now it's simply the shot of Collinwood without any text.

(Click for larger image: Capture #2175)

(To be continued...)

125 days 16 hours 34 minutes 46 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!

18 days 7 hours 25 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows comes out on DVD/Blu-ray(ET)!