Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!  (Read 350627 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Release!!
« Reply #1080 on: August 18, 2012, 07:19:08 AM »
It will still be at our MaxiSaver for an 8th week.  Maybe that's the one in PA mentioned above.  However, it's now just 2 showings a day (4 & 9:30) instead of the 4 it's had up until now. 
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: August 18, 2012, 03:26:26 PM »
The film is still playing in several Latin American countries.

It's also still playing in at least one European country because Box Office Mojo has still been reporting its grosses in Germany.

Sure wish the overseas box office would get updated.

Considering nothing official has been reported since July 8th, I really wonder if they ever will. But one of these days I'll try to put together another chart like I did for the reported foreign grosses up to July 22nd.  [ghost_smiley]

One thing we definitely do know it that the worldwide gross is well over $240 million by now because it was already more than $240.7 million as of the July 22nd reports. And with DS now having opened in Venezuela, this weekend the worldwide gross should climb by hundreds of thousands simply based on what it's likely to do in that country alone.

99 days 10 hours 26 minutes 26 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Cousin Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • DARK SHADOWS FOREVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: August 18, 2012, 06:17:37 PM »
Perhaps a sequel could start off showing that this movie took place in some Bizzaro World Parallel Time.......and from there reboot it properly!!!
^v^  ^v^   ^v^ ^v^

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: August 18, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
"Nights in White Satin" is playing on the radio.  Every time I hear it now, I think of the beautiful opening sequence, with Maggie arriving on the train.  As I was listening just now, I realized how poignant the song is (in relation to the movie) and how symbolic it is for the character of Maggie Evans.  It really suits her.  A number of the songs lyrics are applicable to her character, but these are probably the most powerful: "Just what you want to be, you'll be in the end."

I completely agree.

I was sad that they didn't use the entire song, as that could have been even more powerful, especially the last part of the instrumental which bears a striking resemblance to the work of Bob Cobert.  The finale of HoDS anyone?

Yes!

And speaking of the songs used in the film, I finally got around to ordering the soundtrack from Amazon and it came today. And as I was just listening to it I was struck by how the lyrics of several of the songs are so perfect for how they were used in the film. I've already mentioned how effective I thought Alice Cooper's "Ballard Of Dwight Frye" was accompanying Maggie/Vicki's revelations of her past (not to mention how the spoken intro fit so well with Carolyn's situation). But I didn't really completely put together what a brilliant choice it was to use Barry White's "You're The First, The Last, My Everything" for Barn and Ang's gymnastic sex scene because, even through in the song everything is from the man's POV, the lyric's really work best when they're interpreted from Ang's POV.

The one song that I don't really remember specifically how it was used in the film is Iggy Pop's "I'm Sick Of You" - though it seems perfect for something that Carolyn would have been listening to, so I'm presuming that's how it was used. In fact, could it have been the song we were wondering about Carolyn listening to when Ang comes to Collinwood? (And as a sidenote, the song is certainly a perfect example of something from the Glam Era. I could have easily seen it used in a film like Velvet Goldmine because it sounds so much like the songs used in that film.)

Actually, listening to much of the CD was practically like traveling back in time to my youth in 1972 because back then I was really into R&B and British Rock, so songs like "Nights In White Satin" (which is quite possibly my favorite Moody Blues song ever), "You're The First, The Last, My Everything," and "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" are perfect examples of what I was into at the time.

99 days 15 hours 9 minutes 27 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

David

« Reply #1084 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
Alice Cooper's The Ballad of Dwight Frye was another wise & great soundtrack choice--the song is a tribute to the actor who played Renfield in the 1931 Dracula--fate was equally unkind to Barnabas, Renfield & Frye.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: August 18, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
I forgot to mention that a major disappointment with the CD's packaging is that aside from the photo of Barn/Depp on the cover of the booklet, there's little else to connect it to the film. And when you open the booklet up, the inside is nearly a complete blank - it's simply two pages of black background with a light blue stripe across them about an inch down from the top. Someone must have surely spent hours coming up with that design!  [ghost_rolleyes]  But what's worse than all that is that not one of the artists is identified in the list of tracks on the back of the booklet or on the back of the case - there are simply song titles. About the only way the artists are identified is if one plays the CD in something like iTunes or some similar software player.  [ghost_angry]

99 days 15 hours 32 minutes 29 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: August 18, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »
"Sick of You" was the song we heard when we first saw Carolyn.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: August 18, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Ah, OK, thanks.  [ghost_smiley]  It's been so long since I've seen the film that I didn't remember that. But before too long the DVD/Blu-ray will be available. I know I can't wait.  [ghost_wink]

99 days 16 hours 2 minutes 37 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: August 19, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
One thing I'm sure we all noticed about the DS film's score CD is that "Dark Shadows - Prologue" and "The End" are listed as "Uncut" - but what I didn't realize until today is that the versions of those pieces on the soundtrack CD are shorter. "The End" is only shorter by 12 seconds - but "Dark Shadows - Prologue" is shorter by 3:56 - which makes it exactly half as long as it is on the score CD. So, I'm wondering now if the versions on the soundtrack CD are the versions as they actually appear in the film? If so, that would mean 12 seconds was snipped from the end of the film after Danny Elfman had written his score for the sequence. And that may or may not be all that bad depending on just what was cut. But it would also mean that half of the prologue ended up being snipped - and 3:56 could have easily been an awful lot of story that got snipped!  [ghost_blink]

But I suppose we won't really know if the soundtrack versions are the versions in the film until after the DVD/Blu-ray comes out because I seriously doubt any of us are going to try to track down a theater still playing the film and then time those two sequences to see how long they are.  [ghost_nowink]

100 days 15 hours 22 minutes 4 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:15 AM »
That's rather interesting, MB.  So did they cut the first notes of the DS theme from the end of "The End?"  Or was something else cut? 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: August 20, 2012, 12:55:43 AM »
Mojo's Twitter feed posted on the 17th that DS ended its run  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view=releasedate&view2=domestic&yr=2012&sort=close&order=DESC&p=.htm

Box Office Mojo‏@boxofficemojo

'Dark Shadows' ($79.7M), 'Mirror Mirror' ($64.9M), and 'Rock of Ages' ($38.5M) ended their runs yesterday: http://ow.ly/d3q6x #boxoffice

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: August 20, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »
Up to this point the dates of closure for films on Box Office Mojo's Yearly Chart have been accurate, so I would tend to believe that DS did indeed close. But then why was Fandango still listing DS for so many different theaters this week? Not to mention how could The Doctor and K9's friend in PA have been wrong about DS still playing in her area? Odd...

Has anyone checked Fandango since Friday to see if DS is still listed as playing in the theaters it was listed in then?

100 days 20 hours 13 minutes 14 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: August 20, 2012, 01:19:32 AM »
The opening sequence is approx 7:37, from WB logo to first note of the Moody Blues.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: August 20, 2012, 01:21:05 AM »
That's rather interesting, MB.  So did they cut the first notes of the DS theme from the end of "The End?"  Or was something else cut?

For that one I really can't say what they cut because it begins and ends the same way. Apparently whatever is missing is in the middle somewhere.

100 days 20 hours 21 minutes 5 seconds since the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows has been in release(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: August 20, 2012, 01:29:04 AM »
Well at least the Cobert influence wasn't cut!   [ghost_wink]