Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Seems Like Old Times (Episodes 844-847)  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Seems Like Old Times (Episodes 844-847)
« on: March 11, 2003, 08:03:10 PM »
Fashion notes first . . .

I absolutely adore Kitty's clothes. Not only are they attractive on KLS, but they're inspired. On a show that was pretty hit and miss with the costuming, it's something to treasure when Mostoller was on the ball. They fit the character; they're quasi-historically accurate; they reflect the fact that Victorian women wore different dresses for different occasions; they're just great clothes. This is what should be happening more often.

But anyhow, the dress she shows up in. Kind of tells us a lot about Kitty right off. She wears mourning the same way Scarlet O'Hara wore mourning. Fulfills the color requirements, but makes damn sure the dress makes her look like a million bucks. And that jet jewelry just made the outfit.

The light blue and white lace negligee was charming, but again the jewelry was what made the whole thing work. I loved the rope of pearls and the earrings.

The black off-the-shoulder dress with the pearl choker was lovely too. Finally, somebody who dresses for dinner.

And then we have Pansy. Last time I saw anyone wearing that much rouge, it was on a nine-year-old experimenting with makeup. Still, I kind of like Charity/Pansy's magenta and black number. Amanda should take lessons. Now this is how a tramp should dress.

Speaking of Amanda. Ugh. The butterscotch yellow and plaid suit was a mild improvement on the pepto pink. Her amber earrings were a nice touch (whoever was in charge of this stuff was doing a good job), but that hair. Not only did we have the Evelyn Nesbit curl on the side, but she had Queen Mary bangs going on and that is one weird combination.

DDT is one, to put in Buffy's words, "thundering looney." But then we knew that. Now, we discover he's also quite the sloppy drunk. Still, it was interesting to watch. And his drinking partner there, Tim the not-so-dim is undergoing quite the change. Makes me wonder if Minerva was onto something in her character assessment of him.

Yay! Kitty's on the scene. She is my favorite KLS characterization and it's nice to see that they gave her a chance to stretch her acting talents. I wish they'd kept it going because I think it would have made for some damn interesting TV. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

You know, one of the perennial debates in fandom is who should end up with Barnabas. Having watched the show's entire run several times now, I really think the ticket to a functioning union (not necessarily equal or blissful, but functioning) for Barnabas is Kitty. As we see her right now. Not the dippy "oooh, the music" "what have you done with his portrait?" but the hard as nails out for the money gold digging Kitty.

Think about it. She'd be shrewd enough to be able to handle him. Would be discreet enough if she had an affair and would know when to give him his space so he could run after "his one true love" every time he started getting bored and when to yank him back on in. Not very admirable, but considering his character and his track record, probably the best he could hope for.

On a related note, she'd probably also be pretty good for Edward. Slightly different approach, but again, she comes across as being patient enough and discreet enough to manage a Victorian marriage.

If I had been Julia, I would have slapped Barnabas upside the head and told him to wake up and get over it. Jeez Louise, this man just does not give up. I mean, honestly, every bloody time he meets someone who looks like Josette, it's "she's the one!" What kills me is his total and utter non-interest and disregard for these women as individuals and as people. Angelique has the same disinterest, but at least she's usually pretty up front about it.

Selby has been doing some nice work here. The Amanda scenes are sick-making, but the rest of it--the self-torture, the self-loathing, the desperation--he really makes it all work.

I really miss the days when DC hired extras to populate the Collinsport sets. The show was going great guns in the ratings and he couldn't even pay for someone to be a mute bartender? I hate how Collinsport has become a non-entity.

Who the hell has chartreuse stationary?

Heh, I loved this little glimpse of Kitty writing to her mama. Priceless.

Meanwhile in the Bat Cave, Beth seems pretty happy for someone who's working for (and probably sleeping with) a slug.

Amanda and Quentin . . . Blah blah blah. I so don't care.

The ending bit, well, that was freaky as hell.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Idle Thoughts--Seems Like Old Times (Episodes 844-847)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 08:04:42 AM »
Who the hell has chartreuse stationary?

Thank you, Luciaphil!  [hello]  I wondered the same thing.  At first, I thought it was merely very yellowed paper caught in poor lighting, but no.  Who had lime green stationery in 1897?  Maybe Lady Hampshire purchased hers at the same store where Barnabas found all of his blue candles.  ;)

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Idle Thoughts--Seems Like Old Times (Episodes 844-847)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 09:56:05 AM »
Luciaphil wrote:
And then we have Pansy. Last time I saw anyone wearing that much rouge, it was on a nine-year-old experimenting with makeup. Still, I kind of like Charity/Pansy's magenta and black number.

LOL!!  She must spend at least an hour putting all that stuff on her face!  I don't even think the original Pansy used all that much.

Tim the not-so-dim is undergoing quite the change. Makes me wonder if Minerva was onto something in her character assessment of him.

True! What's going on with him anyway? It's like he's done a complete 180 turnaround on the show.  What a difference from the quiet well liked teacher at the Trask school. Now it seems like he spends all of his time shuttling from door to door just to see what kind of "deal" he can make with someone and how much money they can offer him. [deal2]
 Maybe you're right and Minerva wasn't exagerating about him after all.

Yay! Kitty's on the scene. She is my favorite KLS characterization and it's nice to see that they gave her a chance to stretch her acting talents. I wish they'd kept it going because I think it would have made for some damn interesting TV. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

This is my favorite KLS role on the show too. She started off well and it's too bad the Writers didn't leave it at that. The worst part is that she changes so quickly, in a matter of days almost before this whole Josette image kicks in.

I really miss the days when DC hired extras to populate the Collinsport sets. The show was going great guns in the ratings and he couldn't even pay for someone to be a mute bartender? I hate how Collinsport has become a non-entity.

I agree.  And not only at the Blue Whale but at the Collinsport Inn as well. It looks so ridiculous everytime someone pays a visit to the Inn and there's never an Attendant, Desk Clerk or anyone sitting at the front desk. [idontknow]

Thanks Luciaphil these are good! [thumb]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"