Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers  (Read 22810 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »
The reality is, like it or not, the Curtis estate gave Burton and Depp the rights with their track record. We don't know if Curtis would like the film or not as he is dead.   The people who loved and worked with him for decades know better than we do.

Jim is a consultant or associate producer on the film as he is the person responsible for licensing and certain contractual issues. 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2012, 09:47:41 PM »
The lock on the topic is only temporary and we'll be returning to the discussion of DS spoilers (only) soon.  [See Reply #104]  Thanks!  [snow_smiley]

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2012, 11:11:17 PM »
Back to spoilers -- has anyone heard anything about a[spoiler]cliffhanger scene at the end of the film that introduces Quentin?  or something about a werewolf?[/spoiler]? One of my colleagues mentioned this today, but I was in a hurry and didn't have time to discuss it or hear any details.  I know for sure that she did not see the screening (we are in Ohio).  So, heaven knows what she is talking about.  Just wondering if anyone else had heard the same story.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
I haven't heard anything about the potential ending scene you mentioned, neiljohnson. I wouldn't be surprised if a scene such as that were included, given the extensive source material that the filmmakers have to draw from, this one film could definitely turn into Depp's next franchise. Personally, I would probably be disappointed if that did happen because I hate being set up by movies, and I despise the feeling of going into a film thinking it will be an original, enclosed story, and then coming out knowing that it was all just set up for the future. It does a severe disservice to the film as a whole, in my opinion.

What I wouldn't mind, however, is some type of allusion to [spoiler]Quentin[/spoiler] with something small that would tip off long term fans (a kind of easter egg if you will) but not something that's blatantly obvious.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2012, 11:57:58 PM »
The only good thing that could come from a set up for a second film would be a chance to fix what they've done with this one, if it is a comedy. Remember the first Star Trek wasn't very good, but they fixed things in future films.
May you die before you want too.

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
is it true [spoiler]barnabas dose not kill anyone in the whole film if this is true then they have taken the bite out of barnabas. what is this a childs film barnabas killed a lot of people in the series that was one of the best parts of the show.[/spoiler]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2012, 12:16:38 AM »
To neil- kinda sorta.   I don't remember where I read this, and I don't know if it was a rumor so much as a fan wish/speculation, but I remember reading

[spoiler]That Chloe Moretz' Carolyn character may have been aged down in order to be a mix of both Carolyn and Amy Jennings, and in that regard, the "secret" that we have heard she has is that there could be some kind of werewolf tie-in.  And I suppose if that were to be the case, there could be a hint about Quentin, as well.[/spoiler]

So, I guess we'll see.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2012, 12:40:36 AM »
The writer was asked in the Fangoria interview if there were any plans for a sequel and he said no and that any new DS films will depend on several factors. I don't know if that answers a recent question here. We won't know until we see the film.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:14 AM »
Who knows? We were also told that it wasn't a comedy.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:39 AM »
What I get from the Burton inteview in Horror Hound is that Burton is going for a tone that comes closest to how the show felt like to him when he watched it as a kid.  And I guess a significant part of that was the strange combination of the absurdity of the situations in a story that was played completely straight by the actors.  And I think I can buy that.  This does fit in with other things we have heard, where the humor comes from the situations and the relationships.  The way I'm hearing about the movie being "very funny", what I'm hoping for is something along the lines of amped-up Twin Peaks type of humor (that show was quite dark but at times was very funny).

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36:48 AM »
KMR I do hope that is the case.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
KMR - I hope you're right.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2012, 01:53:18 AM »
We don't know that it is a comedy, just that there are elements that my be viewed as comedic.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2012, 03:28:18 AM »
there has been chatter elsewhere that that old comic book chestnut...

[spoiler]roger and liz are a married couple as opposed to siblings is in the film. that i find impossible to believe. we've been told otherwise and liz and carolyn are named "stoddard" and roger and david "collins".[/spoiler]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2012, 03:41:36 AM »
How two people can claim to be fans of the original show, and then focus on comedy, is simply beyond me. Of all the characteristics of the original series one could name, I think comedy would be mighty low on the list.  Over the years, we've all come to expect this sort of thing from people who weren't fans of TOS, but this comes from two guys who claim to be part of us. 

That's my feeling too, neiljohnson.  I don't understand how two self-proclaimed original series fans could distill the elements of the series into what I saw last night.  As a fan, I feel betrayed.

Now as for some of the other questions on this thread, [spoiler]I didn't see an obvious launching point for a sequel, though anything is possible where there's money to be made.  I think it will ultimately depend on how the movie is received.

I can't comment about any so-called cliffhanger, but do stay through the closing credits.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes