Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716548 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
While the hair is not JF fringy, it definitely is a fringed bang style.

Since the part in the past with the adult Barnabas takes place pre-Revolutionary War, and considering that Barnabas is wealthy and the master of Collinwood, wouldn't it be a hoot and a half if he wears a powdered wig?!

What a shock for Angelique to find out Barnabas has been unearthed. What were her plans for him since she may have been the one to bury him and keeping him alive but for what purpose.

I suspect at least part of Angelique's thinking may be that by cursing and burying him, she's given Barnabas an eternity to reflect on the mistake he made when he betrayed her (at least in her mind).

356 days 0 hours 3 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And to forget about the other woman...  So that when she does let him out, he will have no one but her.  Too bad it won't turn out like that...   [ghost_wink]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Thanks, Gerard!  [ghost_grin]

I think those "Tombstone"-style coats were called dusters. They seem to have been designed for heavy outdoor activitiy such as hunting and riding. I've seen similar ones in movies set in other time periods, especially the most recent TV iteration of Sense and Sensibility and the 1995 movie of Persuasion. So it would be entirely plausible for Barn to wear one when he goes riding around the Great Estate.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
yes MINIS were still popular in 1972 but so were MIDIS and MAXIS. i for one want to know where the hemline's going to fall.

frankly i'm starting to SALIVATE over the 1972 costuming potential. will liz get caftans? will vicki be in sleeveless? scratchy moss green tweed for julia? is colleen atwood riffing the original in terms of wardrobe and hairdos or is she creating something completely different?

dying!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Yes, the idea of 70s fashions is rather intriguing...and scary all the same. Will Angelique get some version of Cassandra's lime green dress? LOL! I do hope HBC won't be required to frump herself up in tweed...though if new Julia is indeed an "alcoholic," who knows how she will be dressed.

I always wondered why original Barn never had any reaction to all the short skirts around him. Even Liz's conservative knee-length dresses must have seemed risque to someone from the eighteenth century.  [shockeyes]  But  I also always wondered how Barnabas knew how to answer the telephone and place calls and drive a car, too.
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
dying!

I'm also dying to know what sort of looks the different characters from '72 are going to sport - particularly when a lot of the '70s stuff on the Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing's Web site, especially the men's stuff, was enough to cause nightmares!

Yes, the idea of 70s fashions is rather intriguing...and scary all the same. Will Angelique get some version of Cassandra's lime green dress? LOL!

What about Cassandra's butterfly caftan that many of her fans seem to "love" so much?  [ghost_grin]  [ghost_shocked]

But  I also always wondered how Barnabas knew how to answer the telephone and place calls and drive a car, too.

Willie was apparently a much better teacher than one might have suspected.  [ghost_wink]  Although, with the threat of being beaten with Barn's cane hanging over you, maybe almost anyone would be.  [ghost_blink]  Which actually brings me to another subject: I was wondering the other day if the film's Barn will be as violent and, well, depraved, for want of a better word, when he's released from his coffin, as he was on both series, or will it be that practically from the get go Barn will be painted sympathetically and he'll want to protect his descendants and to help straighten out their lives, as he did on the original series post 1795/76 storyline?

355 days 13 hours 2 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
as long as liz isn't in high-waist,wide-pleat PANTS a'la 1991 i'll be happy.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I see Jonny Lee Miller has finally been added on IMDb. And Jackie Earle Haley is back. Though why Haley was ever taken off is a mystery. But then, ours is not to reason the insanity that is often the IMDb...

355 days 8 hours 18 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I hadn't thought of it before, that the POV is that of Barnabas for the first time.  Cool!   [ghost_cool]

Myself, I've always wanted to see Barnabas react to things like hearing a phone ring for the very first time--not only reacting to the weirdness of this sound but also not letting anyone know that this is a totally new experience for him.  Lots of potential humor in that, when you think on it--and humor is usually needed when tensions are really, really high.  Think about it--we have someone who eats people wandering around this innocent family, deceiving them, getting them to trust him, maybe encouraging a young lady to fall in love with him.  Plenty of potential tension there!

Losing Sarah would be sad, but cluttering up the story with all kinds of delightful subplots that work so well for a t.v. series is not a good way to make a movie.

The more I think on it, I suspect the modern Collins clan probably live in a nice mansion, clearly of a later time than the Revolutionary War-era manor house where Barnabas grew up.  That way, one hardly even needs to explain it.

And let me add this fun proviso--if this movie is a really huge hit, doesn't it make things that much more likely that somebody will use it as a template for a brand new t.v. series?  If that happens, wouldn't it be the best possible outcome?   [ghost_smiley]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Making the movie set  in the 70's is a stroke of genius I had never really considered!  [ghost_nowink]  I love it and this it's a brillant move.  That is one of my favorite decade's anyway so I will be happy!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: (**HUGE NEWS** Reply #35) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2011, 11:16:46 PM »
1972 sets up some interesting soundtrack possibilities, too.  Songs that came out that year that could be worked into the theme of the story that immediately jump to mind include:

Without You - Harry Nilsson
Layla - Derek and the Dominoes
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack
Alone Again (Naturally) - Gilbert O'Sullivan
I Can See Clearly Now - Johnny Nash
Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress - The Hollies
Little Willy - Sweet
Lean on Me - Bill Withers
I Am Woman - Helen Reddy
Burning Love - Elvis Presley
If You Don't Know Me By Now - Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes
Changes - David Bowie
Hurting Each Other - The Carpenters
Morning Has Broken - Cat Stevens
Baby, Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me - Mac Davis
Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast - Wayne Newton

Oh, PLEASE figure out how to get Little Willy in there!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »
MsBryck: I'm just swooning over thinking about the great clothes and music of the 70's.  Angelique will no doubt be a modern woman of the 1970's.  So, Barnabas can just chew on that for awhile! It's just all so exhilerating thinking about this....
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2011, 04:21:10 PM »
Schultz & Wiremu tweeted something this morning that I think we might all agree with:

multidyer
This Twitter lark is OK but not allowed to tell all the good bits.... 8( never mind Dark Shadows will be even better for not knowing!!!
6 hours ago

As I've said, I certainly don't want to know too much - and I definitely think that if we don't know too much, watching the film will be a much better experience...

They also confirmed to someone who wondered (because she's STILL listed as "rumored" on IMDb  [ghost_rolleyes]) if HBC is in the film that she actually is...

354 days 12 hours 39 minutes 50 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2011, 05:54:59 PM »
i don't want or need anymore information about the plot but i am pleased with the outline we've been given.

it answers several questions we've all been asking...if HBC was doing the film,if vicki was a waitress,whether or not roger would be part of the cast...that i feel comforted knowing without having to much of the actual turn of events being spoiled.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »
Can you imagine Barnabas reaction too Elvis? monster movies on TV? Carolyn aand David can
bring in some great comic challenges. Video games David might be engrossed in these.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate