Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720186 times)

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re: (**JOSHUA CAST??** Reply #681) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #795 on: August 09, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
I think it needs to be pointed out that "Dark Passages" is NOT Kathryn Leigh Scott's first work of fiction, "Murder In Prime Time" was. I think it came out in 2006. I seen this mistake made by more than one writer.

That's not really the writer's fault - the press release and publicity materials for Dark Passages all promote it as Kathryn's first novel. For whatever reason, that's how she's decided to present the book, so it's not really a failure to check facts.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 09, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »
Now, that's very interesting. Thanks for the info, Stuart.  [ghost_smiley]

And now that that's been cleared up, please let this be the last mention of Dark Passages in this topic because, well, way off topic for this topic.  [ghost_wink]  And there is a Dark Passages topic over on the "Calendar Events / Announcements '11 II" board...

And getting back on topic for this topic, when I had my browser translate this page: La dupla Depp/Burton esta de vuelta con Dark Shadows., it seems as if at the end the author is hoping that Depp won't be dancing in DS. Well, considering we know there is at least one club scene, I'm not so sure that there won't be any Depp dancing.  [ghost_wink]  But time will tell...

275 days 14 hours 6 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #797 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
Oh, I think the writer is just complaining about the "Fudderwhacken" (sp??) dance that The Mad Hatter does at the end of Alice In Wonderland.  I haven't heard of a single adult who likes that stupid dance  [ghost_wink]  (Maybe some kids do).  Personally, I thought it was a really bizarre addition to the film, and it was not even Johnny so they actually went to the trouble of getting a stunt dancer (plus a lot of CGI) to do that!  But maybe the writer isn't against dancing per se.

Johnny hates to dance anyway, but he often gets roped into doing it.  It'll be fun to see if old Barn has some moves!  Too bad it's a little early for disco dancing  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 09, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
At least the reporter didn't have her saying that JF was walking across the set once in his underwear... I could swear that that was a widely circulated version of that blooper at one time...

It sounds to me as if KLS was having a bit of a "Norma Desmond" moment in that interview... but who knows.  I do hope the cameos don't wind up on the cutting room floor, but it could easily happen.

All the stuff about the Cannery and the harbor is quite fascinating!  I always wondered whether there was a lingering odor of canned sardines at Collinwood.  One would imagine they would have been a staple of the meals there.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 09, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »
I do hope the cameos don't wind up on the cutting room floor, but it could easily happen.

The good thing today is that such things often show up as DVD/Blu-ray extras - or even in Director's Cut releases. For example, Christopher Plummer did a cameo for The Wolfman that didn't make it into the theatrical release of that film, but it is in the Director's Cut.

All the stuff about the Cannery and the harbor is quite fascinating!  I always wondered whether there was a lingering odor of canned sardines at Collinwood.  One would imagine they would have been a staple of the meals there.

Not to mention that when the wind was right, could the entire town of Collinsport and everyone at Collinwood smell the fumes that were most probably given off by the cannery itself?  [ghost_wink]  If so, I can't say that Collinsport would be a place where I would want to visit, much less live...

275 days 11 hours 39 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 09, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
remember what that busybody old lady mrs.mitchell told victoria on her train ride up to collinsport...

"i've been living in this part of the country ALL my life and i've only been in collinsport once. JUST ONCE. that was MORE than enough for me!". [ghost_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #801 on: August 10, 2011, 01:27:34 AM »
I have to say that in my opinion there is a big difference between journalism and a book of "memories". I expect a book of memories to be just that and I would expect everyone writing a book of memories to tell each story differently. That doesn't mean they can't make mistakes, only that the standard they are held to is different.

I expect a journalist to try much harder to get the facts right. I would think that someone that loves what they are writing to make fewer mistakes than someone that was given a topic and told to turn in 300 words on it. Most of us could have done a better job than many of the writers that we have seen links to. If it's a link to a movie site and the writers care nothing about DS and/or vampires it's understandable that they wouldn't put alot into it, if it's a site that claims to be all about horror, the gothic, vampires, or DS I expect them to check and double check their facts. I don't care if it is a press release.

And that's all I'm gonna say about that.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 10, 2011, 03:43:30 AM »
Well, there is also a difference between bloggers and journalists.  And mostly anything that isn't in the news section of a newspaper or on a news site is not written by a journalist - just a person rehashing information he/she heard or read elsewhere, most of which is unverified by him/herself.  (OT, but as an example: I'd imagine the LA Times article is written by a person with a background in entertainment journalism, and I see no problems with anything she wrote, as anything which has been deemed questionable is out of the mouth of her source, KLS.)

So let's just keep that in mind going forward with our discussions on articles related to the DS movie.  Sources and fact-checking are essential to getting good information.  And, unfortunately, there are fewer sites that do these things than don't.  Not every blog has bad information and not every news source has good information, but, in general, news sources verify facts and provide sources, whereas blogs don't.   

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 10, 2011, 05:26:59 AM »
When it comes to errors, I have less problem with the PomPress books that came out before all of DS was available in syndication or on VHS because obviously it wasn't easy to check facts - and in some cases the things written were clearly indicated as memories. However, I do have big problems with the errors in the PomPress books that were not presented as memories but were presented as facts after all the eps were easily available. There's no excuse for those errors. And there are plenty of them. And they are often repeated in articles that use those books as sources with the not unexpected assumption that everything in them should indeed be accurate. But again, we're getting way off topic for this topic, so I will not list any of them here in this topic. Though several of them have already been pointed out in numerous topics posted to the forum through the years.

Getting back on topic, I just came across this tweet:

BarbaraGothDepp Barbara Valentina
I'm just tired of waiting 4 a picture of Johnny as a vampire in "Dark Shadows"!!why r they taking so long!??#GettingCrazy
4 hours ago

Many of us share your pain, Barbara!  [ghost_wink]

274 days 23 hours 33 minutes 1 second until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 10, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
abramwelsh
Just accepted 2 more night shoots on Dark Shadows; of what am I thinking.
2 hours ago

I'm thinking he'll make more money and potentially have more exposure in the film.  [ghost_smiley]

And this person obviously has high expectations:

C_C_Roault Celina
Jonny Depp outacts every male star around, but when he works with Tim Burton he especially shines! I can't wait for Dark Shadows! =D
42 minutes ago

274 days 14 hours 19 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 10, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »
Another DS film related conversation (this time with Chris Mullen, who was working as a production assistant but...):

@Darkershadeofme Chris Mullen
@domster1983 on the new tim burton film at pinewood studios.. was running but just been promoted to prod sec.. where you based?
4 hours ago

domster1983 Sarah Lucas
@Darkershadeofme yay! Well done you! I was supposed to be doing some dailies on that, dark shadows? I'd like to see your big face soon.
4 hours ago

Darkershadeofme@
@domster1983 omg why didnt you do the dailies?! would've been semi dream team back together!
4 hours ago

crashedlampost Emma C
@Darkershadeofme so jealous that you're running at pinewood! How did you get into it?
4 hours ago

Darkershadeofme
@crashedlampost a co-ordinator i worked with lent me her copy of the knowledge & i literally emailed every PCO and PM with my CV...
4 hours ago

Darkershadeofme
@crashedlampost ... & maybe only 1% will offer you something but I was offered Captain America from it and they brought me over to DS after!
4 hours ago

domster1983
@Darkershadeofme I got work til November and so didn't ring up. Silly Lucas!
2 hours ago

And then there's:

gkfilms gkfilms
MSN Entertainment declares Hugo and Dark Shadows star @ChloeGMoretz is the next Jodie Foster. Check it out! http://on-msn.com/oKSzJ5
11 minutes ago

Given the way her career trajectory has been going, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.  [ghost_wink]

274 days 10 hours 11 minutes 13 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 10, 2011, 10:25:03 PM »
This one is a bit of an irony:

YourPollyanna Jane Staiano
Unable to work on Tim Burton's Dark Shadows, as I have to go to a funeral :-( Spose that's life (and death ) for you!
1 hour ago

274 days 6 hours 34 minutes 57 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »
Why we need Barnabas Collins again.

274 days 4 hours 0 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 11, 2011, 04:23:22 PM »
We all know that TPTB Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Warner Bros. etc. are very protective of information leaking out to the media IE, having all personnel sign confidentiality agreements. But on the other hand why is it that they have allowed pictures of Collinwood to Chloe's unofficial website, and the videos posted on Youtube one of which is a filmed scene of a character trying to escape? Is it that they are throwing us a bone so to speak or is it they are powerless to remove the photos and videos? Just curios to this paradox.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 11, 2011, 04:41:31 PM »
They probably don't mind all that much when it comes to the photos simply showing the Collinwood exterior set - certainly not the majority of them. The latest batch do seem to reveal a plot point - but with us having no idea how it fits into anything, they're still able to safeguard that bit of info.

As for the videos and photos of the Beckenham Place Park shoot, I'd guess they might be more upset by those. But when they're shooting in public like that, presumably there's really nothing they can do about it, especially once they become viral, which the videos and photos did within hours of their original postings. Not that that was a surprise because everyone has been rabid for anything like that. So, the fact that the videos and photos spread so quickly was completely expected - probably even by Burton & Co.  [ghost_wink]  And once stuff like that spreads so quickly, it's pretty useless even to try to do anything about it because so many people have already been exposed to it...

What they do have complete control over is what's happening in the studio and the official photos. And when it comes to all that, we've gotten absolutely zip.  [ghost_sad]  But one day...

273 days 12 hours 18 minutes 29 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!