Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719904 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Don't know about elsewhere, but in my area tickets for the first IMAX showing of DS are going fast because when it came to getting tickets for myself and my friends, I just managed to get most of the last ones that were left.

And I also don't know if it's just in my area, but at the theater I'm attending DS is having 2 IMAX showings vs. The Avengers having 4 - but at least DS is being shown at 4:10pm and 9:50pm and not 10am or 12:25am, which is when 2 of The Avengers showings are. However, I looked at a few of the alternative IMAX theaters, and the closer one gets to Boston, DS is getting 3 showings vs. the same 4 for The Avengers, so it's not like that film is losing showings from this week because it has 4 to begin with. So, as I said, it really seems like it's only DS that's getting screwed by this deal between Disney and Warner Brothers...

0 days 13 hours 22 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks for the tip about the IMAX showings.  I haven't yet looked at the schedule, and I confess that I may not get to see it tomorrow- it depends on what my work day is going to be like tomorrow.  But I will see it Sat., for sure.  I'm not surprised that IMAX screenings are going to favor The Avengers, and honestly, if you were a theater owner and saw how The Avengers was doing, would you do differently?  [ghost_wink]  But we DS'ers will have our chance.

By the way, just saw somewhere in passing that the CBS This Morning hosts reported that Johnny and Tim will be on the show tomorrow.  I had it on for awhile this morning and didn't hear that announcement, but I missed large chunks of the show so I don't doubt what was reported.  Today, the DS cast is doing press junkets in London, so look for even MORE interviews to come out of this.  And then, in just a few more days, on to Tokyo!!  Quite a whirlwind of activities!

Finally, I got the DS Score yesterday (a day late, even though I'm an Amazon Prime member  [ghost_tongue] ) and was enjoying it on my morning commute this morning!  I haven't decided yet whether to purchase the Soundtrack as mp3's, or wait until either a US release on CD will come later, or the import price will drop to something reasonable.  I'll probably go for the mp3's.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Just checked the movie schedule in my area.  The closest IMAX theater to me has 3 DS showings and only 2 Avengers showings- pleasant surprise!  And another one in my area has 3 vs. 3.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised that IMAX screenings are going to favor The Avengers, and honestly, if you were a theater owner and saw how The Avengers was doing, would you do differently?  [ghost_wink]

From their POV, not at all.  [ghost_nowink]  I'm just thinking that originally DS had the theaters all to itself, so in that respect anything less than 4 showings is getting short shrifted.  [ghost_sad]  And of course, it will reflect in the box office take.

By the way, just saw somewhere in passing that the CBS This Morning hosts reported that Johnny and Tim will be on the show tomorrow.

That's good to know because I haven't even checked my recording of today's show yet.

Just checked the movie schedule in my area.  The closest IMAX theater to me has 3 DS showings and only 2 Avengers showings- pleasant surprise!  And another one in my area has 3 vs. 3.

That is a very pleasant surprise.  [ghost_cool]

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Here in Brooklyn, they have a imax 3d showing at 1015am on Friday morning. I did't realize that they did make a 3d copy of this. I saw that on the yahoo movie schedule.I  am really looking forward to seeing this movie. I love this show so much, and hope that this will bring in new fans,that will also enjoy the original and the 91 series, plus the eminent
 release of House, and the restored version of Night of Dark Shadows. Have fun at the movies everyone, I know I plan to

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another new reviews spot today, with more new quotes. (And I see that you know where is now 51% with a 38/36 split - and that's with only one of the reviews quoted in the TV spots having been added.)

And not having read any of the reviews yet, I'm not sure how certain areas of the country seem to be responding, but apparently my area is responding well because a friend has informed me that two of the Boston papers gave the film favorable reviews...

I definitely look forward to when we can start posting/discussing linked to and/or transcripted (if they're not online) reviews. And that actually means both the good and the bad (particularly if they're really bad because, even if it turns out that I don't agree with them, they can still be a great laugh when they're written well). So remember, the topic for that will be started at midnight...

0 days 9 hours 54 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
An Ellen ad just ran on the radio.  And there was a very ominous pronunciation of the words "Dark Shadows."  It kind of brings you back a bit. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Here in Brooklyn, they have a imax 3d showing at 1015am on Friday morning. I did't realize that they did make a 3d copy of this.

I have a feeling that's probably just an error.  They probably have standard templates for the IMAX ads, and erroneously used the 3D one instead of non-3D.  Warner Bros. itself on the movie's home page only mentions it being in IMAX, not IMAX 3D.  (Compare with their page for Wrath of the Titans, which mentions 3D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D.)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well, in a quite positive review by Scott Mantz at Access Hollywood, we have an interesting new way to misspell our favorite vampire's name: Barnabis!  I'll have to listen carefully tonight when I see the movie; perhaps that's the most prominent pronounciation??

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #4359 on: May 10, 2012, 09:41:09 PM »

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
An article from the Bangor Daily News:

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/05/10/living/maine-at-the-heart-of-dark-shadows-series-new-film-adaptation/

Got my IMAX tickets for tonight's midnight showing down here in Pensacola, FL.  Can't believe it's finally here!  I've been following this film on here since it was first announced way back in...2007? 2008?  I'm going tonight with a mix of hopefulness and trepidation, as I've been through this scenario once already with another show I'm a fan of which made it to the big screen and into current popular culture, but in my opinion failed the original completely.

So, downing lots of coffee, crossing my fingers and toes, and wondering if I can pull together some kind of OS-inspired costume for tonight   [ghost_wink]

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: May 10, 2012, 10:49:28 PM »
Take the Dancing Lady . . .

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:18 PM »
Can't believe it's finally here!  I've been following this film on here since it was first announced way back in...2007? 2008?

July of 2007 - almost 5 years ago (though in some ways it almost seems like it went by in the blink of an eye). And now we're down to less than 24 hours before a lot of us see the film...

And thanks for the link to the article.  [ghost_smiley]

0 days 5 hours 56 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: May 10, 2012, 11:06:27 PM »
Heheheh, so tempted!   [ghost_grin]  Actually, if dressing in 1897-era made sense for this, I'd have no problem coming up with a costume.  all my groovy late 60's/early 70's stuff seems to have vanished...

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: May 11, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
I definitely look forward to when we can start posting/discussing linked to and/or transcripted (if they're not online) reviews. And that actually means both the good and the bad (particularly if they're really bad because, even if it turns out that I don't agree with them, they can still be a great laugh when they're written well). So remember, the topic for that will be started at midnight...

Goody! I don't know when I'll get a chance to see the film, certainly not tomorrow, but I am anxious to hear what all of you think about it!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.