Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716932 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Warner Bros Pictures ‏ @wbpictures
The lovely Eva Green has arrived! Stunning as always. #DarkShadows http://twitpic.com/9imc93
10:07 PM - 7 May 12

Wow!  (Though she must be sweltering in that gown.  It's still very warm here.)

@davidselbycom: Photo you've been waiting for. Original series actors @ #DarkShadows premiere http://ow.ly/aLi4f

Thank you thank you thank you!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yes, thank you, MsCriseyde.  [ghost_smiley]

And make that two TV spots quoting reviews. And the second one also contains new footage.

3 days 0 hours 12 minutes 45 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
i got to go to the premiere at the chinese theatre and saw the movie! unfortunately that meant i had to give up the chance to photograph or videotape any of the red(black)carpet since they would not permit anyone in with cameras and we all had to stay in line around the corner and couldnt see anything anyway. i will not spoil the film for anyone or at least try my best not to. i enjoyed it. it was not a full on comedy but there were a few silly and over the top scenes. there are several changes to the story we all know. depp is great as barnabas and pays homage to frid in several scenes. visually it is stunning and some fantastic special effects at the end. several surprises at the endas well. the only robert cobert music was the track called "the secret room"and i never heard the original theme used but the music reminds u of coberts in many places. the cameos are too quick. frid is on just a couple of seconds. selby/scott/parker just a few seconds more. none have any dialogue. the film is only dedicated to dan curtis.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Johnny Depp performed with Alice Cooper, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry last night at the DS premiere afterparty.  There are some grainy twitter pix floating about  [ghost_smiley]  Anyway, I was looking to see if by some chance there might be any YouTubes uploaded, and while I didn't see any, I found a YouTube of the cast arrivals.  Most of this is Johnny signing autographs, but there are glimpses of Eva Green, Tim Burton, Bella Heathcote, Alice Cooper and Steven Tyler, and at the very end, the lovely KLS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5xmobQDRI

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Variety predicts a soft weekend box office for DS somewhere between $30 to the low $40 millions. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118053647?refCatId=13

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I watched a little of the Youtube footage.  The premiere looked like the usualy H'wood madhouse.

I don't know why somebody found it necessary to yell that the late Mr. Frid is "the only Barnabas Collins."
Mr. Depp doesn't deserve heckling.  Regardless of what one may think of his performance or the movie, he has been very respectful to Mr. Frid throughout the project and said lovely words after Mr. Frid passed on.

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Because there are some people who spend too much time in front of the television instead of being outside with real people learning basic social skills and common courtesy. 

I don't know why somebody found it necessary to yell that the late Mr. Frid is "the only Barnabas Collins."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
DS somewhere between $30 to the low $40 million

Well, that's more in keeping with what I've been thinking all along, rather than the $60 million Empire Magazine was forecasting. And even though it's hard to know how things really will play out, with The Avengers being as huge as it is, that's going to cut into all the other films playing this upcoming weekend, not just DS. Plus, when I said -

More IMAX theaters for DS certainly won't hurt.

- I wasn't really thinking because even though DS will be jumping from 225 IMAX theaters to 300, which means it will be playing in 75 more theaters than it was originally going to, it will be sharing those theaters with The Avengers. And even if as Variety says, the theaters equally divide showings between DS and The Avengers, not only would that still mean that DS will lose 300 showings per day (based on 4 showings per day at 225 = 900 showings vs. 2 showings per day at 300 = 600) for a total loss of 900 showings over the entire weekend, who knows what times of day DS will show and what times The Avengers will show. There's certainly no guarantee that DS will get the showtimes that would be more likely to be highly attended. So, in the end DS is probably still going to get screwed by the new deal...

And an interesting thing in all this is that I have 3 IMAX theaters in my vicinity that I could potentially choose from (with one being much closer than the other two), and even though they always have Friday's showtimes up on their Web sites by this time on Tuesdays, none of them have their showings up yet. And when I called each theater to check for Friday's showtimes, I was told that they're not available yet because they haven't been decided...

Though as far as the foreign box office goes, none of this will matter one iota. In fact, The Avengers has already been playing in most foreign markets for weeks already, so it won't factor anywhere near as much when it comes to DS' box office take outside the US as it will in the US.

2 days 13 hours 6 minutes 34 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Because there are some people who spend too much time in front of the television instead of being outside with real people learning basic social skills and common courtesy. 

Eh, knowing Johnny, he probably agrees.  What is probably more important to Johnny was that Frid himself was supportive.  I don't think it was ever Johnny's intent to replace Frid in any way.  But he had the opportunity to make this film and to salute him and the show in his and Burton's own way.  I and many others have said this before:  if you don't like the movie, it will never take anything away from you; you still have the show to enjoy.

[spoiler]I'm a little discouraged by the first few reviews.[/spoiler]As much as I'm a Depp fan, I don't automatically love everything he does, and I may not like this film.  After having gone through a period of optimism, I have lately been having the feeling that I will be disappointed.  Ah well, if that comes to pass, at least I can say I enjoyed the anticipation and the conversation with you folks.  I enjoyed seeing the complete series being released on DVD, and am thrilled to have the postcard that Frid signed.  I will look forward to the release of HODS and NODS.  If these things have been facilitated in any way by the DS film, it's no loss.  Plus, I as a Depp fan can enjoy the stills, the behind the scenes, the premiere photos, and many of the other goodies, even if I am disappointed in the film itself.  It's all good!

I have joined several DS Facebook groups, but confess that I haven't spent a lot of time on them.  Taeylor's is by far the nicest and I apologize for not participating more there.  But I spot checked a few of these sites this morning, and I was horrified by some of the behavior I saw there.[spoiler]People are absolutely gleeful that Variety didn't give a rave review,[/spoiler]or that the forecast isn't for Avengers numbers.  So many are saying "I told you so", and "they deserve failure for what they did to us true fans".  Holy expletive.  For a group that in the 60's and 70's begged for acceptance for their eccentric tastes, some of these folks are now acting like the cool kids who are getting together to heckle and bully.  One poor fellow on the main DS FB group kept trying to defend the film, even admitting he hasn't seen it and isn't sure if he'll like it, and he was accused of being a plant, and the old standby: "How old are you?"  I'd say the same about those who ask that question.  On the other hand, the site that is gung ho about the film seems almost as bad.  I thought I'd identify with them more because on the surface they're favoring open-mindedness, but I see a lot of heckling and goading of those who haven't cared for the snippets they've seen so far or who have trepidations. 

Anyway, sorry to vent about this.  All to say, I appreciate the community and environment that we have here on the DS forums.  I haven't always agreed with everyone's opinions, or even their attitudes, in either direction, but I have always appreciated the civility and tolerance here.  Kudos to MB and Midnite for helping to keep this such a wonderful place! 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
One thing to keep in mind, which the I-Told-You-So contingent is apparently choosing to ignore, is that there are also good reviews out there. And that doesn't need to be spoilered because quite obviously Warner Brothers wouldn't be quoting from bad reviews in their latest TV spots.  [ghost_wink]

And realistically, no one should have ever been expecting DS to bring in box office numbers like The Avengers, so to gloat over the fact that DS isn't expected to is really taking gloating to a bizarre extreme.  [ghost_huh]  Though I suppose it's to be expected from the people who are doing it...

2 days 12 hours 30 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

IluvBarnabas

I very rarely listen to reviews....although I have to admit in some cases, I wish I had.

But a lot of movies I enjoy are some that the critics have bashed mercilessly. That's why I don't listen to them. I will go to see a movie, and I will either like it or not like it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
a lot of movies I enjoy are some that the critics have bashed mercilessly

I suspect we can all say that. Plus I've really disliked some movies that many critics have fallen all over themselves to adore. All of which is why, as I've said, I avoid reviews and prefer to make up my own mind. The reality is that no two people, no matter how similar in many respects, are going to completely have the same taste...

2 days 10 hours 52 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Okay...  I have got to admit that I have learned a plot detail that actually piqued my interest enough to want to see this film again.  Because I think it's a perfect accommodation.  I am sure that a lot of things will fall flat with me or disappoint me, but I am thinking John August's story has the potential to be very good and fit perfectly into the Dark Shadows universe we know.  Now... if only there was more of the script that seemed to do the same.   

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Though we can't overlook that Seth Grahame-Smith also shares the story credit.  [ghost_wink]

2 days 9 hours 4 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
True. It would be interesting to compare the two screenplays.  I know that SGS worked mostly on Barnabas, though.  And the Barnabas story is not making me see this film.   [ghost_wink]