Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720470 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm not so sure it's rewriting history. As I've posted a few times with regard to the '91 DS, DC said that he specifically made Willie the main comic relief because he felt the show needed humor to counterbalance all the ripping and tearing vampire action. And as I've also posted a few times with regard to the '04 pilot, DC said back in '04 that they planned to explore Barnabas' introduction to the 21st century with humor (Jim Pierson's '08 MPI interview also confirmed that). So, what's written in that except from the film's production notes would seem to completely follow what DC came to see as a needed ingredient in DS. And even though we have absolutely no way of knowing that if the pilot had gone to series it would have had as much humor with Barnabas dealing with the 21st century as the new film would seem to have with him dealing with 1972, at least the concept of dealing with that situation humorously would definitely seem to be well within DC's wish. And I'm glad that something has finally surfaced to say as much because it seems as if the articles from back in '04 that went into how DC wanted humor in a potential '04 series have disappeared into the ether (like so much of the stuff that we linked to back then seems to have), or at least I can no longer find them. But trust me, they did indeed exist...

11 days 1 hour 12 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, I just finished scanning through the commercials during the last of the programs I recorded tonight, and while there were many DS spots run (it seems as if FOX has joined with the CW in running DS spots during every one of their shows - or at least that was the case tonight), none of the spots run was the new one that I only caught the end of last night. However, what I did discover is that in addition to the "special preview" that will run during this upcoming Thursday's ep of The Vampire Diaries, a "special look" at DS will run during Modern Family. The promo didn't specifically say this Wednesday as it was mainly to promote that MF will be new throughout all of May. But if it's not this Wednesday, it would surely have to be next Wednesday. But MF is one of the shows I record regularly, anyway.

11 days 0 hours 28 minutes 9 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
dan curtis is dead he can,nt speak for himself anyone can claim they know what he wanted. if he wanted to make ds a comedy he could have made the 91 show one which it was not ben cross did not play barnabas as funny.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
But DC did speak for himself with regard to the potential '04 DS. And no one is saying he wanted to make DS into a comedy - only that he wanted to introduce more humor into DS. And yes, when it came to a potential '04 DS, DC wanted that humor to have come via Barnabas.

11 days 0 hours 9 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I hope they add the pilot to the DVD SO BADLY!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
THE TV LAND AWARDS were presented by DARK SHADOWS the movie. interesting because DARK SHADOWS the show has never been featured or awarded anything on the TV LAND awards.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
THE TV LAND AWARDS were presented by DARK SHADOWS the movie. interesting because DARK SHADOWS the show has never been featured or awarded anything on the TV LAND awards.
Seth Grahame-Smith's father is the talent exec/producer for the TVLand Awards, though that doesn't necessarily have to factor in to why they chose to sponsor that particular show. It's kind of a no-brainer given the retro tv element.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I will write more later as I  woke up; however still weak from the antibiotics I am on.I wanted to see if anything is new was going on.

I also saw the TV LAND award. I love One Day At A TIME. I wish it were in reruns.

I thought since DS was so heavily promoted during the show that maybe this will give the producers of the show an idea to possibly give DS an award for GROUNDBREAKING SOAP OPERA or something. That would be really nice if all of the surviving members could be there.  And it would be cool if they did a soap award every year starting with our favorite soap! :)

I am still hoping DS makes it's budget back in the first week or at least two weeks. I know I am going to see it with my best DS friend on May 11 and then 8 of my friends from my hometown are meeting me to go see it again. They are so excited and plan on watching the original on netflix.

Does the 60 million include promotion??
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, I just found out from a friend that even though it wasn't the new spot that I saw the end of on Saturday night, another new spot ran during today's ep of Days of our Lives. And the good news is that she's going to make a DVD copy of her recording of the show and drop it off to me later today.

Among other things, apparently this latest one includes David asking Barnabas why he has ladies underwear on his face and Barnabas replying with the classic line "Never mind that."  [ghost_grin]

10 days 10 hours 1 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A friend of mine who manages a movie theatre saw a screening of the first 20 minutes of the film. This is apparently part of his job, as it was not a public screening. He's a DS fan, though not as devoted as any of us here. He was quite impressed with it, stressing that the humor is there, but is not as jarring in the context of the movie.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
A friend of mine who manages a movie theatre saw a screening of the first 20 minutes of the film. This is apparently part of his job, as it was not a public screening. He's a DS fan, though not as devoted as any of us here. He was quite impressed with it, stressing that the humor is there, but is not as jarring in the context of the movie.

Thanks Uncle Roger, I'm crossing my fingers about this!

On another note, I think/hope this is new- a very brief tidbit from Bella Heathcote about her kissing scene(s) with Johnny:

E! Online: Dark Shadows Star Reveals What It Was Like to Make Out With Johnny Depp!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Oops, too late to modify the above- I posted this after reading the article but hadn't actually watched the video, which is longer and actually has a bit more with both Bella and Chloe.  Chloe is so cute in talking about both Johnny and especially Michelle!   [ghost_smiley]

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
If you've taken a look at the web site for Grauman's Chinese Theatre, you may have noticed that they offer live webcasts of some of the events held there. However, the word from the theatre's event coordinator is that Warner Bros. has opted not to make a live stream available when Dark Shadows premieres next week.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If you've taken a look at the web site for Grauman's Chinese Theatre, you may have noticed that they offer live webcasts of some of the events held there. However, the word from the theatre's event coordinator is that Warner Bros. has opted not to make a live stream available when Dark Shadows premieres next week.

Party poopers!

At this past weekend's Chiller Theatre, Alice Cooper told one of my friends that he and his band were invited to play at the premiere.  Don't know fans will be able to get to any of this; security blocks the surrounding area off pretty early in the day.  But if Alice is playing, you should be able to hear him if you're in the vicinity.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Even if they don't have live streaming, there will be a ton of photos and probably lots of interviews that will come out of it.  There will also be London and Tokyo premieres within a few days of one another.  I'm expecting a lot of coverage!

And thanks Uncle Roger for the tip about Alice performing.  That should be really cool (and Johnny, please play with him like you did last year, lol!)