Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716234 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
the 1991 was a faithful adaptation with Dan Curtis at the helm. From what I've seen of the trailers, the movie is too comedic and doesn't have the same spirit at all. That's just my opinion of course but it's how I feel. I don't think one can adequately compare the 1991 series to this film since despite a few changes in regards to the original, the revival was a lush, Gothic romance

I don't think anyone meant to compare the '91 DS with the film. It's quite true that they're very different. However, there's no denying that despite the fact that they are very different DS projects, the critical reactions leading up to the '91 DS' debut most definitely resembled in way too many ways much of what we've been seeing with the new film. And even after the show had come on there were levels of criticism toward it from some corners of fandom that often came across to me as way too harsh. And if that sort of criticism is any indication, I'm expecting it to also be the case or even worse with the film.

15 days 10 hours 59 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Very cool. Love the DS characters moving in the picture frames. The music wouldn't play in IE but worked in Chrome. http://apps.warnerbros.com/darkshadows/residents/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
From what I've heard in the snippets made available, Elfman's score is packed with Cobert's style, and some of Cobert's themes are used verbatim.  There is way, way, way more of Cobert than I had even dreamed there'd be...

I know, and I really enjoy that.  But I am a music purist, I suppose.  And I love Cobert's full melodies.  They are just as much a character as anyone.

Still have hope with the synth intro to "Shadows Reprise."  It has got to reprise something...  So maybe it's just not included in the score. 

And, jimbo, that's really cool.  I am glad they finally launched the full site.  Thanks for sharing!

Really enjoyed the ET spot we saw. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oh my - I LOVE IT!   [thumbleft]  And Elfman's score snippets are the icing on the cake.  [thumb]  Thanks so much for the link, jimbo!!

Can't wait until I get the chance to explore it all...

15 days 8 hours 33 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Wow, thanks for the link, jimbo!  Very cool site!  And the music score selections are longer than the ones on the Watertower Music site, helping me hold on while I wait for the CD to arrive...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Thanks for the link jimbo!

I thoroughly enjoyed going through the site and looking at all the background images, portraits, and of course reading the information. Having Elfman's soundtrack play in the background as you read through the information provides a great experience when using the website.

I am very intrigued by the information that we learn by reading these character descriptions, particularly about (and I'll put this in spoilers in case someone doesn't want to know, though it's hardly sealed information) [spoiler]David's mother. The fact that they say she was lost at sea certainly opens the story up to a potential sequel or continuation of some sort if the topic isn't really delved into in the film, which I don't think it will be. Also, that David believes his mother is communicating with him but no one believes him save for Vicki. Speaking of Vicki, the mention of her possible mysterious connection to the family is very interesting, and hopefully will not go unanswered for in the final film. Of course, all the things surrounding David's mother could simply be the doing of Angelique, a way to control the family or something. Who knows?[/spoiler]

All of these new tidbits are definitely gearing up my excitement for the movie, more so than before.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I also just forgot to mention that the placement of the characters on the website jimbo linked to is very interesting. How about the fact that David is the closest character in relation to Barnabas? What does this mean for their relationship in the film? Carolyn looks rather skeptical of Barnabas, as does Vicki. And the fact that Angelique is full out blocking Willie and Roger from the rest of the group suggests to me that perhaps they aren't as loyal to the family as one might think. Elizabeth and Julia's close proximity to Barnabas also seems to suggest an alliance of sorts, which many have already suspected for Liz's character since it seems she knows Barnabas' secret.

This is all pure speculation, of course, but it will be interesting to see if these small details play any part in relation to what actually occurs in the film.

Perhaps I'm simply grasping at straws?
Brandon Collins

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
To be honest, I'm beginning to think that he might actually keep his secret largely intact to people he doesn't intend to bite.

In the latest TV spot, it's Barnabas' conversation with Carolyn that got me thinking that even she knows his true identity.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Tonight (Wed 4/25) on ET
« Reply #3893 on: April 25, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »
I heard a commercial; tonight (Wed, 4/25) on Entertainment Tonight, there will be a feature on the new DS.
Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm not so sure about that, but maybe. Though given the relationship they're supposed to share in the film, I could easily live with it if she does...

As for ET, don't expect too much because the segment is only 2 minutes long. And because it's one of ET's "Anatomy Of A Cast" segments, there isn't much in the way of interviews: Depp, Pfeiffer and Bonham Carter get to say a few sentences. Though there are two spoilers: one we'd already figured out - the other I suspected, though I also suspected that perhaps Carolyn was the one (and you'll understand what I mean when you see the segment). And there are lots of behind the scenes bits and pieces. However some of the bits that go by during the bumpers for the segment are not included in the segment itself. Nor is the remark Depp makes in the promo from yesterday's show. So, that might seem to indicate to me that this is probably only the first segment that ET will be doing on the film, and we can live with that.  [ghost_wink]

And because there are plenty of people who won't see ET until much later than those of us on the East Coast will, if you want to get into specifics about the segment, please do so within spoilers so as not to ruin things for those people. Though after 11 anything is fair game out in the open.  [ghost_smiley]

And to get everyone in the mood, here are two screen captures of one of the bumpers:

Click for larger image: ET #1

Click for larger image: ET #2

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight (Wed 4/25) on ET
« Reply #3895 on: April 26, 2012, 12:46:46 AM »
Thanks! I heard about it today and forgot to check. I missed the local airing but managed to set a timer for good ol' WSBK TV out of Boston (former home of Da Bruins!!!).

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I enjoyed the spot on ET, though it was a little more brief than I was thinking it would be, and wasn't quite as in depth as they made it seem. However, it's good to finally have confirmation that [spoiler]Julia does know Barnabas is a vampire, and probably pretty early on judging from the scene the showed.[/spoiler]

I also thought it was hilarious that Depp got to utter probably the second most famous Barnabas line (behind "You've betrayed me!") when he said "Nevermind that now..." when [spoiler]David walks up and sees him in the coffin and asks why Barnabas has underwear on his face. One would think that the first question would've been "Why are you chained up in a coffin?" unless, of course, David also knows that Barnabas is a vampire. [/spoiler]
Brandon Collins

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Tonight Extra had the briefest of interviews with Burton at CinemaCon and there were also shots of Depp and a few snippets of scenes (ones we've already seen in trailers/TV spots) from DS.

15 days 3 hours 51 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
[spoiler]Julia does know Barnabas is a vampire, and probably pretty early on judging from the scene the showed.[/spoiler]

We'd already deduced that from the 2nd 60 second TV spot - and the scene also confirmed that[spoiler]Julia wasn't delivering news that Liz didn't already know. And her excuse that she didn't say anything because she was protecting the children would seem to indicate that neither Carolyn or David know Barnabas' secret - at least not at that point.[/spoiler]

I also thought it was hilarious that Depp got to utter probably the second most famous Barnabas line (behind "You've betrayed me!") when he said "Nevermind that now..."

Yes, I thought that was pure DS. Hopefully at least someone in the film will also say "I'll explain later."  [ghost_cheesy]

15 days 3 hours 39 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just scanned through American Idol and a 7th 30 second spot (with yet more new footage) ran just a short while ago. Though I'm still missing my own copy of the 4th one and any copy of the 6th one...

15 days 3 hours 2 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!