Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717174 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Who knows - Barnabas could learn the Love Story line in any number of ways from his relationship with Carolyn.

And I'm glad you pointed out the typo, usffan, because "not" and "now" make a difference. (It would also seem to make it far more likely that Barn's and Roger's lines don't actually belong together and the editors are once again making a joke in the TV spot that in and of itself may not even exist in the film - well, at least not in the way the TV spot makes it appear as if it does.) But don't be upset that you made the typo in the first place because, well, we all make them from time to time.  [ghost_smiley]

17 days 5 hours 42 minutes 8 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
What do we make of this?  (Sorry if this book has already been discussed/dissected/explained away ...)

Found this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Shadows-Art-Film/dp/1781162557/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335223296&sr=1-11

Dark Shadows the Art of the Film [Hardcover]

# Hardcover: 176 pages
# Publisher: Titan (May 8, 2012)
# ISBN-10: 1781162557
# ISBN-13: 978-1781162552

Sounds intriguing, but there's no cover or any other real details either ...
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The book was announced a few months back - but with no more details than there presently are. And the only site that seems to list a price is the UK version of Amazon:

Dark Shadows the Art of the Film

There was speculation that perhaps the book is only being published in the UK and will only be available in the US as an import, but who knows?  [ghost_undecided]  And with so short a time left before the release, it's definitely odd that still so little is known about it...

17 days 4 hours 29 minutes 0 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
I'm sure I shall want it.  Sigh.

(Thanks, MB!)
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
As for me, knowing that Barnabas will say the line from Love Story - "Love means never having to say you're sorry" - again makes me want to see this movie all the more.  As a historian (who no longer makes any money off of it), I love nostalgia.  The trailers show lava lamps, Deliverance playing in the local Collinsport cinema (a movie I and friends managed to see by sneaking into our local theater because it was R-rated), all of it, is capturing me, even if much of it is done in a "humurous vein" - just as our late, great Jonathan Frid called one of his books.  Those were memorable times.  I remember when we, as high schoolers, went to see American Graffiti.  The era depicted existed when we were very young (I was just a kindergartner, so that answers the film's motto of "where were you in '62?" but I remembered it well in 1972 when the film came out).  That film had a great deal of comedy, but none of it was designed to denigrate - that's the way things were back in '62.  Having a vampire, inculturated in 1772, dealing with 1972 is, to me, brilliant and would be funny.

As for whether or not the film will allow for a sequel - or not - remember, this is Dark Shadows.  It doesn't matter if characters are offed or not or whatever.  They were in the original and yet they always came back for more.  As Mrs. White tells her daughter, Carrie (and, ironically, Chloe Moretz/Carolyn Collins Stoddard will be doing the main role in another cinematic re-telling of Stephen King's classic novel [note I did not say remake]):  "Sin never dies....Sin never dies."

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
perhaps barnabas and vicki go see 'love story' on their first date...

wouldn't that be sweet. [ghost_smiley]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Great still of Barnabas and Liz. Thanks for sharing the scans.  [ghost_smiley]  I'll definitely have to pick up a copy the next time I'm in Barnes & Noble.  [ghost_wink]

17 days 3 hours 36 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
As always, thanks to everyone for sharing these very interesting articles and scans!  I don't know where I can purchase Rue Morgue, as BN doesn't seem to carry it.  Might have to go online.  That's the best DS cover yet!

Incidently IMDB has DS listed at 20 now.  TV spots? 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
My Barnes & Noble carries it because I was looking at last month's issue last Monday when I was there. Did you call your store to ask?

17 days 2 hours 19 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
No, but I have never seen it there.  (Maybe they are just really limited?)  I have been going once a week since February and they just have the 4 traditional Monsters mags and the Special Edition of Scary Monsters.  I know Borders used to carry it, but I have never seen in at my BN.  But I will definitely ask them.

Let us know when you are able to track one down, MB.   

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If Barnes & Noble doesn't carry it, try a comic book shop. That's the kind of magazine they often have.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestion.  I know that my local Suncoast (FYE) used to carry it, but they closed up shop.  If BN doesn't pan out, I will be in the yellow pages!   [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, I didn't come across the new TV spot that usffan saw during anything that I watched today or was told about. The 1st 30 second spot was on during last night's ep of Once Upon A Time and again during tonight's edition of Extra. And there was something new during tonight's Dancing With The Stars - but it was the what I'm presuming was the 1st 15 second spot. And while it didn't have any new scenes, it did have new graphics:

Click for larger image: 1st Graphic

Click for larger image: 2nd Graphic

And I suppose those were needed to get the point across so quickly.

And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the added exposure of the TV spots, both on TV and online, didn't help the film shoot up from #75 (where it was last week) to #20 on this week's MOVIEmeter on IMDb.

17 days 0 hours 38 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!