Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717500 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
So are you guys telling me that Tim Burton/Johnny Depp left DS in a way that there is no possibility for a sequel. I find that quite odd.  He always wanted to play Barnabas Collins.  I cannot see how in the world he would not want to play him again???  That makes no sense to me at all.  I find myself a little sad if this is true. :(  However, I don't want to read spoilers so I guess I will just have to wait and see???

If it is a huge hit. I cannot in any way shape or form imagine the WB not wanting to capitalize on that. However, this is Dark Shadows. So unless the whole cast is killed off like in HODS then I guess we have no way of having a sequel unless David and Carolyn are left and they are the new generation?  Kind of speechlesss.  Again though, this is Dark Shadows. I guess anything can happen.   I also heard that you should watch the movie until the credits are over. Is this true? I may have read this here.

Loved WIDOWS HILL!  Amazing, thanks for the post. If anyone can allude to how their couldn't be a sequel I would love to know. However, I don't want to know spoilers so I guess that isn't possible?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
From 'Dark Knight' to 'Dark Shadows': The 10 Most Anticipated Summer Movies

17 days 8 hours 3 minutes 19 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
honestly taeylor it would be nearly impossible to tell why many are doubting the possibility of sequels withought giving away the spoilers.

but again nobody at this board with one exception has actually seen the movie so opinions are being based on the information available which of course is limited.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Michelle Pfeiffer’s ‘Dark Shadows’ Style Is A Family Affair

17 days 7 hours 40 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I also heard that you should watch the movie until the credits are over. Is this true? I may have read this here.

I think anybody who watched House of Dark Shadows all the way through the very end could see that there was a hint of keeping it open for a sequel that would continue the same story.  Nothing that I've heard through the spoilers about the new DS make me think it is closing itself off from the possibility of a sequel.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Yes I do remember them hinting at the end of HODS that there could be a sequel. Although, I wasn't for sure how that would happen with only Elizabeth and David left standing. Perhaps, they both would have been dead in the follow up to HODS and Barnabas would reek havoc on a new family.

I just remember in one article that Michelle P said she would love sequels and I am sure she read all the script.  Also, didn't Seth Grahmn mention the fact that their is tons of "source material"

Thanks for the glimmer of hope KMR! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
From 'Dark Knight' to 'Dark Shadows': The 10 Most Anticipated Summer Movies

Take a close look at Barnabas' neck in the pic they have there.  Unless my eyes are deceiving me, there's detail I never noticed in any of the other stills.  This makes me have hopes for a more intriguing appearance to Barnabas up on the big screen!  (Maybe I will opt for the IMAX presentation at the midnight show...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Mysterious Eva Green

17 days 7 hours 23 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
In that latest commercial, Roger responds to Barnabas' line about big balls with something akin to "not THAT'S what I'm talking about!"  So, in other words, there's still more humor waiting to be played out...

Ugh. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Though it doesn't necessarily follow that those two lines even go together in the film. We certainly know how whoever put together the trailers/TV spots has a penchant for taking dialogue out of context and putting it together to give an entirely different impression. Though that's hardly unique to DS because it seems as if it's actually common procedure in the industry these days.

17 days 7 hours 5 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Still...  I was hoping we could avoid further humor about the human body in this film...  And you just know where SGS was going with that line.   [ghost_tongue]

The similar line in Charlie didn't get any laughs at my theater (except for one obnoxious giggle in the back row), so why do it again?  I was actually getting used to the humor and then they throw this out there.   [ghost_closedeyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Actually, given Grahame-Smith's MTV series The Hard Times of RJ Berger, I'm more surprised there isn't much worse. And honestly, it's all in the way it's played more so than in the way it's written (as we learned with the "You cannot imagine how thirsty I am" line, which was originally described as being quite comical, though it doesn't come across that way to me at all), so I'm looking forward to seeing how Depp delivers the line.

17 days 6 hours 20 minutes 1 second until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And that is exactly why I am worried again.  Just how much will the movie go for standard juvenile humor and how much will it strive for sophisticated and/or black comedy?   Because I can accept black comedy, dry wit, and the like in Dark Shadows (I mean it's in the original!), but I can only stand the other to a point.  And with these two known lines, I am at that point.   [ghost_wink]

So, I am hoping for the best...

Just keep hoping.  Just keep hoping.  Hoping.  Hoping. Hoping.  Hoping.   [ghost_cheesy]

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
And you just know where SGS was going with that line.   [ghost_tongue]

My first thought went to the AC/DC song, but that came out in 1976, and hasn't yet been mentioned in the sound track.  Then again, Barnabas does appear to quote Love Story to the hippies.  It's unclear whether he will have been aware of that movie before he encounters them. 

Oh, and I just noticed my apparent typo.  Roger says "now" instead of "not"

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Then again, Barnabas does appear to quote Love Story to the hippies.  It's unclear whether he will have been aware of that movie before he encounters them.

I can only assume that he heard the line from someone else previously. Perhaps he even heard it right then from the people he's speaking to? To have Barnabas use such an iconic line entirely on his own would be totally at odds with the "fish out of water" scenario the filmmakers are trying to create.