Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716930 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks so much, MB.  I really love these Hippies.  It harkens back to Night of Dark Shadows for me. 

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
I am in total agreement with CB's position regarding said spoiler. It's shocking to me. Thanks MB for the wonderful captures.

yes i've been made aware of the photograph and caption in question(at my own request)and it's now making the rounds on FB...

and i agree it's a pretty stunning spoiler and not just a "predicable plot point". i certainly would not have assumed that's how this particular plot would end up.

for that to be released in advance of the movie is very irresponsible. it gives WAY too much away.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I haven't seen the photo yet, so I could be off in what I'm about to say, but if as michael c says, the photo would seem to give way too much away, it would indeed be very irresponsible of Fangoria to have published it. So, could it be that what people are thinking it depicts won't actually turn out to be what it seems to depict? After all, DS has certainly been known to come up with some misleading twists in its time. And considering the editor of Fangoria is a big DS fan himself, would he really go so far as to ruin the entire film? Not to mention, would he really open up the magazine to a possible avalanche of angry reaction from DS fans? So, might it be quite possible that the script could have a twist up its sleeve that we know nothing about?

19 days 4 hours 8 minutes 1 second until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I think it's very, very possible, MB.  And, as I have stated a couple times before, I hope that is the case.  But regardless of how the scene appears in the context of the film, I still did not want to know that it happened the way that it did.  Every other bit of promotional material is very selective about what it shows.  I wanted to be surprised.  And regardless if the photo is the "end all, be all" depiction, it gives way too much away about the film's plot.  Even if it turns out to be completely different from the photo - and based on what SGS has said, I wouldn't be surprised - it still was a scene I wanted to see in the film, not beforehand. 

As an aside, I'm going to say that I love the new image they printed of Vicki meeting Barnabas.  It is so beautiful, and very reminiscent of my favorite scene from House of Dark Shadows, with Julia watching in the background. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Even if it turns out to be completely different from the photo - and based on what SGS has said, I wouldn't be surprised - it still was a scene I wanted to see in the film, not beforehand.

Well, I can relate because that's exactly how I felt about all the photos that ruined major hoDS plot points way beforehand.

As an aside, I'm going to say that I love the new image they printed of Vicki meeting Barnabas.  It is so beautiful, and very reminiscent of my favorite scene from House of Dark Shadows, with Julia watching in the background.

OK - now you're killing me because I haven't even touched my copy of Fangoria since I read your warning last night, so I have no idea what you're talking about with regard to that photo - and your description has me dying to see it!  [ghost_grin]

19 days 3 hours 43 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
yes the shot of julia spying barnabas and vicki first meeting is pretty choice...

she looks like she's already plotting. [ghost_wink]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That one is on p. 40, so you are safe!   [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think it's probably best just to leave the Fangoria in the bag where it still is. One can only summon up so much self control when it comes to checking out that photo on page 44, so out of sight helps it to stay out of hand.  [ghost_wink]

19 days 2 hours 37 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I have a question about one of the screen capture pics posted several posts above.  There is a photo of Barnabas and Vicki in a romantic embrace.  Is anyone else wondering how Victoria Winters could possibly find vampire Barnabas sexually attractive?  Pale white skin, dark patches around his eyes, and long creepy fingers.  I can't imagine anyone finding that look romantic or appealing.  How in the world are they going to explain this?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it's his personality she's attracted to.  [ghost_wink]  No doubt it's a whole beauty and the beast fantasy.

19 days 1 hour 2 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Against my better judgment, I sought out the picture that Cousin Barnabas has spoken about. I wouldn't be surprised if this were a true depiction of this event in the film because it would certainly drive the remainder of the film following said event. I hope it doesn't come true, but I will certainly not be surprised if it really is what some think it to be. Of course, it could be something entirely different as well, which would also drive the plot following it's occurrence.

Sidebar, I am enjoying all of this incognito talk in attempts to keep said thing under wraps. :D
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Michael, I don't expect a sequal.  If the film is largely based on the comedy of fish-out-of-water, that will get old really fast.  One movie, maybe.  But, I can't imagine a second film based on that.  However, without that humor, wouldn't the second film be a serious horror movie?  And, we know they certainly wouldn't be interested in that. 

Another question -- Are we all assuming the mausoleum is not a part of this film?  That seems to be the case, but just wondering what others are thinking.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
true...

i don't know why i'm talking sequels really. i think there's just been some vague suggestion of them that i've responded too.

considering how long it took this to get made it could be several years even if there is one.

not to mention the unthinkable that this one ends up being a bust. [ghost_shocked]

as for the mausoleum it does look like barnabas has a stash of jewels hidden somewhere. but it doesn't appear to be a prominent location. certain key locations/elements/characters have been eliminated in the name of a two hour time frame. the old house. sarah collins. perhaps the mausoleum too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The reason talk of sequels tends to come up is because a few members of the film's production team as well as Warner Brothers themselves have said they would like to see the film kick off a franchise.  [ghost_smiley]

18 days 13 hours 34 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!