Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720302 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think that Michelle P does the dry comedy very well.  And if the person at AIN'T IT COOL is right this is one of her best roles in years! :)

The more I see of Michelle Pfeiffer in the trailers and TV spots, the more intrigued I am and the more I can't wait to see her as Liz.

And speaking of Michelle, I saw a segment on one of the entertainment shows about her next film after DS, People Like Us (which opens June 29th), and it looks like she has a great role in that too. Hopefully she's on a roll...

24 days 8 hours 47 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yet another article! This one appears in the May issue of Total Film, a British import. Rather an interesting read, with short but interesting interviews with Burton, Depp and Eva Green. The most interesting tidbit is that Burton showed the cast two movies to establish the proper mood. The two flicks were The Legend of Hell House and Dracula '72.  [ghost_smiley]
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Soundtrack announced...

Slightly disappointed that some of those trailer songs appear...  I was under the impression they would not be in the film.  Maybe they won't be?  I don't know how soundtracks work nowadays... 

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/04/16/dark-shadows-soundtrack-announced/

There's some decent songs in the mix though. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Slightly disappointed that some of those trailer songs appear...  I was under the impression they would not be in the film.  Maybe they won't be?  I don't know how soundtracks work nowadays...

I have a hunch only little snippets of the songs will be in the actual film, and will probably be source music.  I don't think they'll be used much (if at all) as underscoring.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Soundtrack announced...

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/04/16/dark-shadows-soundtrack-announced/

There's some decent songs in the mix though.

Thanks so much for the link, Cousin!  I've been waiting to hear news about this and was starting to wonder if it was a misprint that there would actually be a score *and* a soundtrack.  I'm glad there's a soundtrack.  I guess I've gotten used to the idea of the trailer songs appearing in the film.  While some of them are not my favorites, it seemed to me that both Top of the World and No More Mr. Nice Guy are integral to the story and would thus pretty much have to be there.  I'm most thrilled about Nights in White Satin and the Iggy Pop song- Iggy is a very old friend of Johnny's, btw- too bad he's not in the movie but a poster of his made it into Carolyn's bedroom!

I'm also very intrigued by the last track:
11. The Joker – Johnny Depp

As someone who is always interested in Johnny's musical pursuits (I run a website devoted to his music), I've been quite exhausted over the last couple of weeks, trying to keep up with several live performances, news of a couple of album appearances, and a music video, and now there is this tantalizing little tidbit to ponder.  I wonder if they mean the Steve Miller song?  If so, I'm guessing it'll be an instrumental- as great as Johnny was singing in Sweeney Todd, he tends to shy away from singing otherwise!  Can't wait to learn more about this!

I do think they could've put a few more than 11 tracks on the CD, though.  I guess they didn't have enough music to fill it, which is probably why the Elfman tracks were added.  (Too bad they couldn't have added a couple of Cobert's tracks, though!)

(Edited to add after seeing KMR's post- yes, I agree that it's quite possible that only snippets of these songs will actually be in the film- that is pretty common in soundtracks- to have just clips of songs in the movie and then the complete song on the soundtrack.  We'll see, I guess!)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yet another article! This one appears in the May issue of Total Film, a British import. Rather an interesting read, with short but interesting interviews with Burton, Depp and Eva Green. The most interesting tidbit is that Burton showed the cast two movies to establish the proper mood. The two flicks were The Legend of Hell House and Dracula '72.  [ghost_smiley]

I saw The Legend of Hell House when it was released back in the early 70s, and I enjoyed it then, even though it seemed to be rather watered-down when compared to the novel.  I've seen it a couple more times since it came out on DVD, and I think it has held up incredibly well--I enjoyed it even more now than I did decades ago!  There is a very creepy atmosphere, and some special effects that although very simple were quite effective.  I think Burton made a good choice here.  Unfortunately, I can't say that I was impressed at all by Dracula A.D. 1972, although it may have been the story itself that I didn't like.  Hammer's horror productions always had cheesily lush (or lushly cheesy?) production design that had a tendency to overpower the script more times than not.  Hammer was able to design sets that suggested grandeur and belied the low budgets, not unlike the main set of the original DS series (foyer and drawing room) which was in actuality quite small.  In contrast with Hammer, though, DS had writing that far surpassed a lot of the production design!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
speaking of the scene where barnabas' breath makes vicki wince...

since that is the only glimpse we've really had of the two of them, and most of the promotional material has focused on his relationship (if that's what one can accurately call it) with angelique, it's hard to get a read on what that relationship is going to be like.

i mean on his end, well, she looks like josette. which is traditionally enough to send him into a tizzy. but in previous tellings barnabas looked more or less "normal" most of the time. here not so much. so on her end what's the attraction? is it reciprocal? or is it more along the lines of the OS where vicki saw barnabas as a "kindly gentleman friend" and nothing else.

strange how this particular part of the story has been downplayed in the advertising. [ghost_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link CB.

If these projections hold up it is highly likely DS will come in second place in its first week as some here have stated. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/the-avengers-dark-knight-rises-box-office-312398

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Was just scanning through tonight's edition of Extra and the 2nd 30 second TV spot ran during it. However, with that show it's not really too surprising since it's produced by Warner Brothers TV.  [ghost_wink]  Interestingly, though, it was the same version that said the film hasn't been rated, whereas my friend told me that the version of the 3rd 30 second TV spot she saw did say that the film is rated PG-13.

24 days 2 hours 26 minutes 6 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Add Dancing With The Stars to the list of shows showing a 30 second TV spot today. They showed the 3rd one - and it does indeed say the film is rated PG-13.

So, I think it's pretty safe to say that the spots could show up anywhere now...

24 days 0 hours 48 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Any speculation on the identity of the woman Roger seems to be seducing, as Barnabas watches through the window?  Most of us probably assume the woman is some un-named extra.  Perhaps we are correct.

But, what if our assumptions are wrong?  Might the woman be a major character?  Some have suggested Angelique.  Has anyone considered other options?  Difficult to consider, I admit -- with the blonde hair and such.  Still, this might explain why the Barnabas/Josette love-story seems to be suddenly minimized during the 1972 timeline. 

Hmmmm.  I'm just considering options.  And -- believe me, I do not like the "option" I've just considered.   I would enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The woman is definitely Elizabeth.  As we clearly know, everyone in the family has dark secrets.  Roger and Liz are, as Louis Edmonds put it, "incestors."  A true homage to the original...   [ghost_tongue2]

I actually think it's the character named "Hippie Chick."

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
WOW... I just got a listen to the score and MY OH MY...I am sorry but that doesn't sound like the score for a film that is a comedy!  NOT AT ALL!  I couldn't get it to play on the WATER TOWER Site. 

This just makes me giddy.  Makes me have a lot more faith in the fact that this movie will reflect some great dark moments with a balance of some humorous moments as well.

Cannot wait!!!

I also want to ask the cousins.  Do you think that the DS movie will have finality to it?  Or will it be a balance of some finality mixed with some hints that there could be more movies to come? 

And is it commonplace to save a set just in case there could possible be another movie? Or would they build the whole house over again??  Just curious. If anyone has any inside information please share!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Interesting question, Taeylor.  Let's assume for a moment - just assume.  Near the end of the film, after all the action.  Maybe even AFTER the closing credits -- Carolyn is seen talking on the phone.

[edited by admin per Forum Guideline that does not allow fan fiction]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am pretty sure there will be a reason to stay through the credits.  If Burton is going to remain true to the series, we absolutely need some type of cliffhanger.  I just hope it's not too big of one.  I've always liked the Quentin idea, neil.  But I'd definitely want to hear his gramophone.  And Burton said we would not...   [ghost_sad]

As an aside, I am getting inundated with images of Johnny Depp, HBC, and Jonny Lee Miller on Facebook.  They keep popping up, urging me to like the movie's page.  It's sort of comforting to see their mugs.  (These are the first character poster images.)