Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716571 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Interesting Twitter conversation about the original theme. A part of me hopes it will be used. Though I honestly find this DS film conversation involving EW's Anthony Breznican that I just came across on Twitter to be even more interesting:

Anthony Breznican ‏ @Breznican
I've seen final cut of Dark Shadows. Tone similar to Burton and Depp's Sleepy Hollow - lots of humor, but with menacing, atmospheric edge.
1:56 PM - 14 Apr 12

Josh Spiegel ‏ @mousterpiece
@Breznican: I wonder, then, why the ads emphasize the humor. Those ads don't give off a Sleepy Hollow vibe at all.
2:01 PM - 14 Apr 12

@mousterpiece Sleepy Hollow had a LOT of humor, though.
2:15 PM - 14 Apr 12

Timothy Dowling ‏ @TimothyDowling
@Breznican good?
2:16 PM - 14 Apr 12

In Dark Shadows, there's an absurdist bent to the monster element. The creatures of the night are adrift in the self-obsessed world of 1970s
2:17 PM - 14 Apr 12

Jrmes ‏ @jrmes
@Breznican So on a scale of 1-10 where are you rating the film? #DarkShadows
2:20 PM - 14 Apr 12

In typical Burton fashion, humans are scarier than the fiends. If u want Interview w the Vampire, that movie exists. This is a more wry take
2:21 PM - 14 Apr 12

@TimothyDowling Yes, w qualifier. You won't think it's good if you want somber, serious scares. But if you like Buffy, you'll like this.
2:24 PM - 14 Apr 12

@jrmes I can't rate 1-10. That's @EW critics' job. I'm just reporting the movie's vibe, since people are curious.
2:27 PM - 14 Apr 12

Also, if you dig screenwriter @sethgs style w Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter & P+P+Z then Dark Shadows will be to your liking, too.
2:32 PM - 14 Apr 12

Tone similar to Sleepy Hollow, with humor and a menacing, atmospheric edge - sounds good to me. And the fact that Breznican has seen the final cut would seem to confirm our suspicions that some in the press have indeed already seen the finished film...

26 days 0 hours 2 minutes 15 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Interesting indeed.  Doesn't totally jibe with the new AICN review (Though, it jibes enough to make me still believe the AICN review), but it seems to work as a balance between it and the first AICN review.  It's interesting just how many perceptions there are about this film from those who have seen it. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Something to keep in mind is that humor can be subjective. For example, I loved Sleepy Hollow and I found parts to be quite humorous - but unlike Breznican, I wouldn't say that I thought it had "a LOT of humor." Perhaps it's because I might have taken some of the situations more seriously and seen less of a degree of humor than he did. Who knows? Though I suspect different people will see the situations in the DS film differently as well. And that can easily explain the AICN review.

Fyi SGS tweeted about a half ago that the info at imdb pertaining to Christopher Lee is not right. Interesting.

I found Seth Grahame-Smith's comments to be quite interesting:

Seth Grahame-Smith ‏ @sethgs
I'm not saying who Christopher Lee plays in DARK SHADOWS, but it's not who imdb would have us believe.
7:27 PM - 14 Apr 12

Seth Grahame-Smith ‏ @sethgs
@J_J_Moore Empire's description is right, but the (understandable) jump to Malloy isn't.
10:00 PM - 14 Apr 12

Imagine that - IMDb jumping to conclusions and not getting its info right. Shocking! Just shocking! ... Yeah, right!  [easter_rolleyes]  How often have we said that IMDb is hardly a definitive source, and at best it's smart to take what's said over there with a grain of salt unless/until it's proven true? I suspect more times than any of us can count or care to remember...

Though one thing that gaffe should definitely tell us is that whoever is maintaining the DS film's IMDb listing is not actually connected to the film or else Lee's character would never have been identified as Bill Malloy...

25 days 23 hours 22 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I am so beyond excited about the AIN'T THAT COOL article and the nod to we get with 16 magazine and the blue suitcase.  I really think that this movie is going to be great and I feel once people see it they will truly for the most part be happy with it.  There is one thing in the movie that I accidentally found out that makes me sad; however, I can deal with it.  As long as we get some great sequels and the movie does well I am happy! 

Cannot beleive it's only 25 days. I remember how giddy I was when it was announced in 2007 about DS. All of the time we have waited and watched and listend will culminate on May 11!  Looking so forward to it! :)

T
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm slightly saddened that lee is not playing bill malloy.

it would have been a nice nod to the series' early days. [easter_sad]

and he's been listed on various sites as malloy for at least six months. strange that now all of a sudden someone corrects that.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I believe the Italian trailer has minute new footage; you can see David more defined when Barnabas saves him; you can see Angelique appear to gesticulate her powers to the mirror ball; and some other angles of Angelique and Barnabas mostly after the 1:30 mark. There are so many trailers now its hard to keep track of all the different footages. http://anteprimatrailer.com/dark-shadows-2012-trailer-italiano.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oooo - a new trailer to check out! If there's anything new - and there would certainly seem to be from your description, I will certainly post some caps.  Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]

Also, I came across this several days ago when I didn't really have the time to post the link - but then I forgot all about it until today. Oops!  [ghost_embarrassed]

In Defense Of: Tim Burton’s “DARK SHADOWS”

25 days 12 hours 9 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I agree with you, MB.  I love SLEEPY HOLLOW and even own a copy of it.  There were several naturally funny moments in it, again, driven by the character and the situation (such as when the Depp character first sees the Headless Horseman) that work with the story rather than detract from it.  That is what I am expecting to see in this DS film.

Something to keep in mind is that humor can be subjective. For example, I loved Sleepy Hollow and I found parts to be quite humorous - but unlike Breznican, I wouldn't say that I thought it had "a LOT of humor."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A few months back I picked up the Blu-ray of Sleepy Hollow for the ridiculously low price of $4.99 (and because it has features not on the DVD), but I haven't gotten around to watching it. But with all this new talk about it in connection to the DS film, I probably should watch it sooner rather than later.

And I checked out the Italian trailer. I see the shot of Barnabas through Angelique's opened legs is in it, too - and there may be one or two other things. I need to compare it to our version to be sure...

25 days 11 hours 38 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Thanks for all your hard work, MB! You are truly a Benefactor!

That's a great story! I know that in one of the hospital scenes, there's a poster that exhorts us to "Give Blood--Save Lives," so maybe that was a tie-in as well.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
and there may be one or two other things. I need to compare it to our version to be sure...

Just comparing by eye I can see that there's more to the mirror ball falling sequence (who knew Vicki and Mrs. Johnson were there? - yet another scene of Mrs. J. being completely oblivious [ghost_grin]) and the sex sequence. But I need to split both the Italian version and ours into frames to get a better idea of what to post. But I won't have the chance to do that until later this afternoon...

25 days 11 hours 21 minutes 29 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And also take note that Mrs. Johnson is in the still of Vicki entering Collinwood.   [ghost_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yes, Mrs. Johnson looks like she's asleep in a chair. I love it!  [ghost_cheesy]

But getting back to the trailers, I just did a frame by frame comparison of the German and Italian trailers and they're the same (well, except for the languages, of course  [ghost_wink]). Now I'm going to compare the German version to ours to see if there really is more than just additional shots in the sex scene. And then I'll post what turns out to be different...

25 days 8 hours 19 minutes 38 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I'm happy to say that given the ain't it cool  review and the UK tv spot, I think this film is going to turn out exactly as we were hoping. The scene in the trailer where Barnabas is talking to Liz and explaining who he really is, looks deeply dark and intense.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Still, they have got to edit-out that tooth-brushing scene.  Please, pretty-please.