Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720158 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Very true!  I am not entirely sure who, other than Depp, has the most screentime in this endeavor.  The trailer would seem to indicate it's Eva Green.  But the ads put more of an emphasis on Michelle Pfeiffer.  Bella doesn't get much publicity (We haven't even heard her speak - other than as Josette's Ghost).  Then again, she isn't that well known (either by face or name), so she could have a very significant part and they could just be downplaying it.  Either way, I think I am going to really enjoy seeing her as Vicki, and I hope she is featured very prominently.  After all, there wouldn't be a Dark Shadows if it weren't for our lovely little governess.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Barnabas made it on the top banner of the Wall Street Journal today!!!   [easter_shocked]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Johnny as Barnabas, that is.  There's a big article on Seth Grahame-Smith that takes up the whole front page of the Friday Journal (plus more inside).  But the photo of Barnabas in (Carolyn's?) room with his index finger pointing up is on the very front page above the WSJ banner!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for the heads up, KMR.  [easter_smiley]

I have a friend who works in a bank and buys the WSJ every day. I'll have to give him a call to be sure he saves it. Though considering he's also a DS fan, something tells me he was already planning to and was probably going to surprise me with the article when I see him on Sunday. But it never hurts to be doubly sure.  [easter_wink]

34 days 8 hours 29 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I want to experiment with some Linux video programs that I've never tried to see if their results are any better. But the videos of those spots should show up sooner than rather than later.

Just to update, those experiments haven't been going all that well. In fact, the resulting videos have been  blurrier than what I was already getting. And that's odd to me because the new stuff I've been creating is 1280X720, and one would think that should be clearer than 480X272 (a preset resolution in my original software - and one that I cannot change) - especially when watched at fullscreen on a 32 inch monitor set to 1920X1080 - but it's not. The 480X272 resolution is really quite a bit clearer. Not as clear as the original 1920X1080 source video, but much clearer than the new videos coming out, and for the most part better than what's on YouTube.

But anyway, I'm going to do a bit more experiment later today. And if things still come out blurrier, I'm just going to go ahead and start uploading/posting 480X272 videos of the TV spots. And if at some point I can figure out how to make clear 1280X720 videos, I can always upload/post those somewhere down the road...

Also, if by the time I get a copy of the WSJ article no one has discovered a version online, I'll scan/post it.

34 days 7 hours 57 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just got this retweet on my phone from GK FIlms about a Seth Grahame-Smith public appearance next Tuesday:

Seth Grahame-Smith ‏ @sethgs
LA area Twitter friends: I'm speaking/Q&A-ing/signing at 3rd St Promenade's Barnes and Noble this Tuesday night -- 7p. Let's get down!
Retweeted by gkfilms
3:30 PM - 6 Apr 12

34 days 7 hours 27 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Do not read the MTV movie blog this week.  It reveals the names of the tracks in the text. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I do believe I've finally figured out what I've been doing wrong - or rather what I've not been doing, which is specifying the bitrate.  [6184]  It's amazing how much clearer things actually come out when I do that.  [wink2]  And though the resulting file size of the TV spot I'm working with is still a bit too large for my liking, I have cut it almost in half from the extremely unmanageable and no way I would ever upload 64.8MB of the 1920X1080 original.

And thanks so much for the heads up, Cousin_Barnabas.  [easter_smiley]  Though could you post a link for the people who won't mind the spoilers?  [easter_wink]

34 days 5 hours 57 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Sure!

Again, spoilers are inherent in the track names which are included in this article.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1682664/dark-shadows-trailer.jhtml

And yay for high-res videos!  Sounds like you are on the right path, MB! 

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
"It's just a bad..a hilariously bad soap opera and because it's so bad he felt he had to make a hugely expensive movie."

Probably my favorite quote from the HBC video interview accompanying the article linked by Cousin Barnabas.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That's the video where she gives away the plot detail, isn't it?  I briefly watched it again, but I was certain that was the one with the spoiler.  And I guess it makes sense to have that video with the music list since that spoiler is confirmed in the track listing! 

I went to BN today to see if Fangoria was in.  It was not.  Neither was the KLS book...

Oh, and I did have a question...  Was Dan Curtis Productions always listed in the production companies affiliated with this film?  Am I just blanking on that or is this a new development?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/companycredits

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It has always been there.  [easter_wink]

34 days 1 hours 46 minutes 43 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Ahhh...  I suspected as much.  I just couldn't remember seeing it.  Thanks, MB.

I hope that we get a new trailer soon! 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm surprised that the longer 2 minutes and 25 seconds version of what we presume was the one shown during Once Upon a Time doesn't seem to have surfaced online yet.  [easter_undecided]

And speaking of that OUaT version, I decided to kick off the high resolution videos of the TV spots by going back to do a new video of that one. I ultimately decided to go with 1024X576 because that resolution seems like the perfect balance of resolution and file size. Though you wouldn't know it from this particular one because it's 60.5MB - but that's only because it's 2 minutes long. The file size for the 60 second and 30 second TV spots will be much smaller.

And sorry about the watermark. But the last time I provided a video version of this it ended up making its way all around the world - to YouTube and even some Russian version of YouTube. And of course, no one credited the forum for the video. But should anyone decide to "borrow" the new high resolution videos I'll be posting, they won't be able to avoid revealing where they came from.  [easter_wink]  Though I did make the watermark as inconspicuous as possible. In fact, at times it's barely even visible.

But anyway, here's the link:

Once Upon a Time_2012_03_18_19_59_00.mp4 (60.5MB)

And more videos will soon follow...

33 days 23 hours 27 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I have been off the boards for a week. My pc broke last week, and couldn't be fixed, got a new one. I wanted to say that we saw the ds trailer last week. One of 6 that were shown. The Dark Shadows trailer created a nice buzz in the audience. I liked it. I am hopeful the film will do well despite all the early criticism.Looking forward  to seeing it.