Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720343 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Warner Bros. put out over 30 different television spots for Wrath of the Titans, so you're probably going to be busy.  [snow_grin]

Probably no more busy than I was with the '91 DS promos.  [snow_wink]

39 days 22 hours 7 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Oh my goodness!  MRS. JOHNSON!  I love that image, MB!  Thanks so much for sharing these and for the video! 

This one actually made me laugh out loud.  It was the new line Barnabas spoke at the table.  It seems I like his lines best when he is sitting down.   [snow_cheesy]  And doesn't HBC sound a little British when she says that new line?  And why would Julia proclaim that anyway!  How strange... 

But I definitely liked this commercial more than almost all of the rest (except for one).  I am either getting used to this new take or they are actually getting better.  Maybe a little of both.   [snow_wink]

I do find it odd that Angelique is missing in all of these spots though...  Hmm...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Though Angelique is featured very prominently in the other 60 second TV spot. Speaking of which, now that I have high resolution copies of them, I'll probably make high resolution videos of that spot and the two original 30 second spots and post those once I have. But don't look for them soon because I'll be going to bed shortly, and then tomorrow I have a Palm Sunday Lunch to attend...

39 days 21 hours 49 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well thank you for all of your efforts, MB.  We all appreciate them!  All of the videos you post are amazing in terms of quality.  Can't beat it!

One thing that does bother me is the constantly disappearing and reappearing blood stains on Barnabas when he is talking to Willie...   [snow_huh]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
yes the disappearing/reappearing bloodstains are a mystery...

one can assume that the scenes of barnabas wandering around collinsport in eighteenth century clothing are all from the night of his release. yet in some his face and clothing are covered in blood. in others he looks almost "clean".

i suppose the blood can be removed/added digitally in postproduction. but it seems really random. [snow_undecided]

and does it look like julia is wearing some sort of padded costume to make her appear chunky?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
and does it look like julia is wearing some sort of padded costume to make her appear chunky?

I don't know, but that does seem like a particularly unflattering outfit. Her other clothes in the film seem to look a lot better than that - and she looks a lot slimmer in them. Though perhaps she loses weight over the course of the film in an effort to attract Barnabas' eye? I suppose, like so much else, we'll see...

39 days 13 hours 25 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Congratulations on another fab series of captures, MB!

I think Mrs. Johnson is now officially my favorite character in this magnum opus.  That shot of her helping poor Willie with the coffin is a scream.

Looks as if this time around, everybody's in on Barn's "secret."

I suspect that as is often the case in trailers, different takes have been used of the same material.  The footage of the Carpenters gag in this new spot is the same soundtrack but the camera angles are markedly different.

Those of you who enjoy keeping track of such things will have fun when you see the movie learning just which takes wound up making it into the release print.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
if i could guess i think the joke here is that poor old mrs.j is so out of it she doesn't realize she's dealing with a coffin.

it's pretty well established that here liz "knows". willie and julia of course always have.

but i'll bet the "secret" is being kept from the children. and vicki. and maybe roger too.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
considering that the casting of christopher lee as bill malloy was obviously a piece of horror movie/DS buff stunt casting doesn't it seem odd that he hasn't been used in any of the promotional material?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Lee might have wound up on the cutting room floor, if it was a cameo with only one or two scenes.

After Peter Jackson cut him out of one of those Lord of the Rings movies, nothing would surprise me.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MB thanks so much for the captures and the video.

Everytime I keep on hoping this movie somehow gets more serious it just gets more silly. Forgive me cousins if I don't share your enthusiasm for this movie. This is not Dark Shadows and certainly is not a homage to the original show. I am certainly not alone as these new articles reflect.
http://blogcritics.org/video/article/why-ill-wait-to-see-tim/
http://www.examiner.com/horror-movie-in-chicago/this-ain-t-your-mom-s-dark-shadows

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
the articles make some interesting and valid points...

but as they say "it is what it is". for whatever reasons this is what we've got.

i hope to enjoy it on it's own terms and that's it.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I just wish that there is less of the "fish out of water" story-it didn't have to be the dominate theme in the 1972 time period which is I guess 80% of the movie. I generally agree that there should be some degree of BC dealing with his future. And there are probably more comedic scenes in the movie; perhaps BC trying to drive a car, ride a bike, play with the elevator buttons who knows what else. This story angle was done to give JD more acting range and to be his flamboyant Jack Sparrow persona. It gives TB more range to be his creative self as filming a serious movie is not what he wants to do. But I agree it is what it is.

I do disagree with WB's marketing strategy. If there are more gothic horror elements which dominate the movie as has been suggested, WB  seems to believe that comedy sells better than a gothic horror/romance flick? Perhaps WB will release a more serious trailer but it seems that is unlikely. It is targeting a more family-like oriented demographic and a widest possible audience. I will remain open minded but I think I have enough to go on not to be enthused about this movie.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
the Angelique/Barnabas/serpentine tongue licking sequence got a big laugh from Ellen's studio audience.

The same thing happened in the movie theater this weekend-- that tongue scene got the only laughs, and I'm talking huge laughter and not nervous laughs... and I just don't get it.  Whether the clip offends your DS sensibilities or not (I like it, cuz even though the serpentine tongue is standard fare for exorcisms on film and just about any demon in Buffy fan fic, attributing one to Angelique IS new, unless Nicky did it and I've forgotten, lol), why are audiences finding that spot funny?!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
i'm sort of indifferent to the tongue but what i can't get is why the film's promotional team keeps beating the 'chevy' joke into the ground?

it really wasn't that funny to begin with...and i believe it's been used in every spot. [snow_huh]