Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720222 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Amanda, that documentary sounds fascinating.  Thanks.

I was (and still am) a fan of a 1990s series called Poltergeist: the Legacy.  It had very little to do with the Poltergeist films; it was one of those psychic investigation team series.  Anyhow, there was this one writer whose email got out to the fan community.  He wrote the best scripts for the series, with layered characterizations, intriguing nuances, witty dialogue, etc.  I wrote to him a few times over the years and he was always gracious enough to respond.

I'll never forget our exchange about the last script he wrote for the series.  I wrote to congratulate him (they had pretty much stopped using him at that point) and he told me that in the final filming script, there were only two words, or maybe it was two sentences, left from his original script!  But he got paid and got the onscreen byline anyway!  As dear Grayson used to say, Who can figure anything, especially in "Hollywood" (technically Poltergeist was produced in Vancouver).

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I originally had a very lengthy reply to this, but it got deleted.  So here's my second attempt at letting you know how much I valued your response:

I'm glad you tried again, but I'm guessing you meant that it got deleted somehow before it was posted on the boards.  [smlyb]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows movie honored. http://www.bectu.org.uk/news/1486

Thanks so much for the new captures MB!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows movie honored.

That's certainly interesting. Though many people who worked as extras on the film did tweet that they had a great time, so I suppose that only proves it.  [snow_wink]  Thanks for the link.  [snow_smiley]

43 days 12 hours 41 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Eva Green speaks briefly how she did not rely on the original series to prep her for the Angelique role.
http://www.film-news.co.uk/show-news.asp?H=Eva-Green:-TV-show-was-uninspiring&nItemID=10690

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
From the interview with Eva Green:
“When I met her [Lara Parker] I was thinking, ‘Oh no, I haven’t done my homework! It was weird: she thought she was playing Angelique because she had a cameo,” she recalled.
I'm sorry, but that is patently false.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
There are so many to love from this new ad, especially THE BITE!   [snow_cheesy]

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the bite from the 60 second TV spot is somehow related to a scene in the first trailer. If so, it explains why that scene in the trailer comes off looking so odd. I haven't gotten the chance to investigate the trailer scene more closely, but when I do I'm going to see if there's any evidence to prove or refute my theory...

43 days 12 hours 3 minutes 50 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
The number of responses on this subject is daunting and I’m having quite a time keeping up. But it’s really great to get the low-down first hand - news articles, screen caps, et al. So when someone asked me yesterday if I’d heard about the new DS movie and seen the trailer yet, I’m like, duh.
I like Johnny Depp and I’ve enjoyed a number of his films. I think his Dark Shadows will be fun, but it certainly doesn’t seem to be homage to the original show. My response to my inquiring co-worker as to what I think about the new film was, “Well, it’s certainly in league with what Depp and Burton usually put out”.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I haven't gotten the chance to investigate the trailer scene more closely

I checked it out and (DON'T PLACE YOUR CURSOR ANYWHERE NEAR THE SPOILER WINDOW IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW):[spoiler]I don't know how I missed it. But I suppose it never even entered my mind when the first trailer first came out, so it wasn't something I would have been looking for or anything I would have noticed because I didn't post a screen capture from where it showed:

Click for larger image: Capture #2265

Apparently Barnabas attempts to kill Angelique by attacking her and god only knows what else to get her neck twisted like it is in the sequence - but surprise - it doesn't work. But then trying to kill her never really worked in the original show either.  [snow_wink]

An interesting question is why are those police and the crowds there?[/spoiler]

43 days 10 hours 45 minutes 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Eva Green speaks briefly how she did not rely on the original series to prep her for the Angelique role.

Thanks for the link, jimbo.  [snow_wink]

I wonder if she's in the US version of GQ or just the European version? And not having seen The Shining since it first came out, I don't even remember Jack Nicholson’s bar scene - but I do wonder what it was about that scene that particularly helped her to play Angelique?

43 days 10 hours 34 minutes 21 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just received this tweet from GK Films on my phone:

gkfilms ‏ @gkfilms
9 exclusive full body character banners for #DarkShadows have just been released on @iTunesTrailers http://bit.ly/HmRkZw
1:32 PM - 28 Mar 12

I haven't had the chance to check them out yet, though...

43 days 10 hours 24 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Interesting spoiler pics. Thanks for posting them.  But, does anyone else notice what appear to be[spoiler]deep scars on Angelique's face?[/spoiler]  What could be going on here?  Hmmm.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I haven't had the chance to check them out yet

I just finished downloading them all (be sure to use the download link below each poster to get the 1600X2333 versions) and wow - as far as I'm concerned the posters just keep getting better and better. I love so much about all of these, though I particularly love how this time around it's Bella Heathcote as Josette du Pres - and perched on Widows' HIll no less., and Liz with a gun - way to take charge, and how Collinwood (with a feature we had yet to see) is seen up on the hill behind Angelique:

I really need to stock up on color ink for my printer so that I print all of these out...

43 days 9 hours 23 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm glad you tried again, but I'm guessing you meant that it got deleted somehow before it was posted on the boards.  [smlyb]
Oh yes...  It had nothing to do on your end!  It was all me.  I always hit the backspace button whilst out of the text box or else I close a browser tab by accident...  Happens every time I have a lengthy reply.   [snow_cheesy]

As always thank for the links and tweets!  The posters are fantastic!  But I was a little stunned to see Liz with a gun!   [snow_cheesy]  But it totally make sense. 

And MB, thanks for the pics.  That is a very astute observation.  I really wonder what all happens to her! 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks MB for the tweet and the link to the new posters!  Liz with a shotgun just cracks me up, for some reason.  I love the others, too, especially getting to see the Josette representation of Bella. 

I had the weirdest dream last night, that DS was released and was nothing like any of us expected- it was very colorful and surreal, and I think it had muppets in it!  Or at least Barnabas taking the form of a frog or toad at one point (it wasn't Kermit, though- I want to be clear about that!).  But it was still very horror-filled.  The weird thing was, in the dream, I loved it!  When I woke up and remembered, I thought to myself, ugh, I don't think I'd actually love it if it looked like that!  LOL, so maybe at least for me, the actual film will be a relief in comparison  [snow_wink]