Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717087 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Here Mr. Smith says the trailer is an accurate depiction of the movie. "I think that we weren’t afraid to let Johnny [Depp] invent this character and be funny". It is clear to me that as producer of the film Depp wanted this to be a comedy from the beginning. This writer is just doing some damage control and deflecting. He doesn't ever fully answer the question in the interviews why he felt compelled to write a comedy unless he was instructed to.
http://www.slashfilm.com/film-interviews-timur-bekmambetov-seth-grahamesmith-talk-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-wondercon/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, like I've said, the decision to have humor in the film was made long before Grahame-Smith came on board, so we can't blame him for the fact that there's humor.

49 days 3 hours 50 minutes 51 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Since the trailer came out I've heard the words "jokes" and "jokey" in relation to DS more times than, um, ever in my lifetime.  That cannot be a good sign no matter how you cut it.   [snow_huh]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I still don't like the fact that he calls the original series "boring."  That bothers me.  You don't have to be a fan of it, but if you're adapting it, you really ought to, at least, enjoy it. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I agree, CB.  Of course the pacing of a 1960s soap opera would be boring if you were to apply it to a two-hour movie.  But that has nothing whatsoever to do with tone and story.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I still don't like the fact that he calls the original series "boring."  That bothers me.  You don't have to be a fan of it, but if you're adapting it, you really ought to, at least, enjoy it.

Not that I'm defending any opinions that Grahame-Smith might have of the original DS, but we should probably keep in mind that he wasn't hired because he's a fan and/or even enjoyed the show - he was hired because Burton really liked his script for Abraham Lincoln:Vampire Hunter and felt he'd be perfect for DS. And considering how often I've read/heard comments from screenwriters about how they weren't familiar with the source material before they adapted it, I'd say the situation seems to happen quite often.

49 days 3 hours 25 minutes 53 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am sure it happens all of the time, but SGS seems to have a difficult time saying positive things about the original show.  Twice now in a matter of days, he has used descriptors that don't really cast Shadows in a positive light.  It must have been a real chore for him to watch the episodes he did...  And I'd imagine that would take some sort of toll on the writing process.  But I could be wrong.   [snow_sick]

I hope that we learn some juicy new tidbits from tonight's supposed screening.  (Do we have confirmation that it is actually happening?  I have not had time to verify.)  It will  be interesting to know if the reactions are as positive as last time. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
There's another test screening tonight? Where did you learn that?

Though if there is, one would hope that the people attending would actually honor the non-disclosure agreements that they will no doubt have to sign.

And as far as Grahame-Smith's script goes, one thing to keep in mind is Burton and Depp were the last word - so if they made it, they had to like it, particularly when it took so long to get a script that they really liked. Otherwise they would have asked for more changes. Though, of course, none of that means that it necessarily follows that it's a script that we will really like...

49 days 2 hours 2 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I agree CB with your assessment of SGS.

I wasn't aware about the alleged new screening. Is that posted anywhere here? Thanks.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It's a nasty rumor which I have heard twice now, but I can't get any legitimate sources for the information, which is why I said "supposed screening."  I thought I mentioned it here, but probably decided against when I couldn't find any credible sources to cite.  So, I guess we should all check Twitter just in case it turns out to be true...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I am happy with his words.  Again I want DS to be different and not another rehash. I have seen plenty for this lifetime.  I continue to be optimistic; however, apparently some people are not as happy as I that it seems the afghan is making an appearance?  LOL Or maybe no one read my post! ;)

I like that Seth said it's like going back to Sleepy Hollow and Bettlejuice. I love both of those movies. 

<<<<Eternal optimist here.....

DS has brought some many wonderful friends into my life I want that for a new generation.  I also agree that I am so tired of the goth chick girls with the moody vamps.  It's getting old.  I watch Twilight pretty much cause it has vampires. You wanna talk about camp and not for camps sake. The last movie was by far the worst and I was laughing throw the whole thing when I was not supposed to be.

And you know even Jonathan Frid wouldn't do the WB pilot so to me that seems like he thought the script was good or why else would he bother unless they paid him a huge amount of cash. It also seems Lara, KLS, nor Selby would have done the movie unless they liked the script.  JMO.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Now the word is that the next test screening is the 28th...  (Supposedly it was originally tonight but was rescheduled?   [snow_huh])  Again, I have zero credible sources for said information.  This is just hearsay I am picking up.  So, keep your eyes peeled for any possible mentions of this date. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Just watched the trailer again and someone mentioned that it looked as if Sarah was following Josette when she says, "He's coming!" I am not so sure. I think it looks like Carolyn. Can anyone identify who it is???
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Taeylor, that's Vicki.   [snow_smiley]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
And so it begins: the social media campaign we were promised....

https://twitter.com/#!/Zicklet/status/183077543249854464/photo/1

Here is the vampire's chair.  Sit in it.  Upload your picture.  And make all of your nightmares comes true.   [snow_smiley]