Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719686 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I guess my disconnect with some of the opinions I'm reading is when people say things like, "They (Tim and Johnny, and maybe Jim Pierson) said they were fans!  A fan would never make a film like this."  Well, that is a bit presumptuous and presupposes that all fans are of one mind.  I would never accuse someone of not being a fan if they didn't share my vision, but that's just me.  So I don't find it as easy to sympathize with these types of comments as it is to sympathize with folks who were hoping for something different and feel disappointed.

Again, I'm still feeling a little disheartened by the trailer, and hope that I like the movie more, but for what it's worth, I thought the 21 Jump Street trailer was atrocious, and it turned out to be a film I enjoyed tremendously.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I really wish Guillermo Del Toro made this film.

Ooh, Del Toro!!  Yes, his take on DS would be incredible!  For a while I've been thinking about how David Lynch would bring something very good to DS--his kind of "weird" would probably be the best match to the classic 1960s DS weirdness, this strange family/community in a world that's just slightly off-kilter from the one the viewers live in.  (And wouldn't it be cool to hear an Angelo Badalamenti score for DS?)

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I guess my disconnect with some of the opinions I'm reading is when people say things like, "They (Tim and Johnny, and maybe Jim Pierson) said they were fans!  A fan would never make a film like this."

I totally agree.  I would never for a moment doubt that they are fans.  What they find in it might not be the same thing that I find in it, but that doesn't make them fans any less.  I retain the right to be disappointed if the new film doesn't go along with the way that I view DS.  But they have every right to make the kind of film they want to make.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I guess my disconnect with some of the opinions I'm reading is when people say things like, "They (Tim and Johnny, and maybe Jim Pierson) said they were fans!  A fan would never make a film like this."  Well, that is a bit presumptuous and presupposes that all fans are of one mind.  I would never accuse someone of not being a fan if they didn't share my vision, but that's just me.

It's not just you.

And as I tried to say the other day and probably didn't get my point across clearly enough, there are all sorts of DS fans, including the ones who can devise the type of humor we're seeing in the trailers, along with the types who can appreciate that type of humor. And the fact that they can doesn't make them any less fans than those who might not. Though, of course, an entire film of that sort of humor is another issue entirely. But supposedly the new film isn't that type of film, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

So I don't find it as easy to sympathize with these types of comments as it is to sympathize with folks who were hoping for something different and feel disappointed.

Exactly - as I've said, I totally understand their disappointment and sympathize with them.

51 days 12 hours 8 minutes 29 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Ooh, Del Toro!!  Yes, his take on DS would be incredible!  For a while I've been thinking about how David Lynch would bring something very good to DS--his kind of "weird" would probably be the best match to the classic 1960s DS weirdness, this strange family/community in a world that's just slightly off-kilter from the one the viewers live in.

Honestly, del Toro would've been my first choice; I think I have mentioned it here once or twice.  Though I'm sure he would've injected some comedy, too.  Oh well!  Lynch, I'm not quite as sure about (don't get me wrong- I like him and just recently re-watched Twin Peaks, in fact), but it's a thought.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, what-ifs only tend to make things worse. I've often wondered what if Rob Bowman, whose directing work I had really enjoyed on the '91 DS, hadn't left the '04 pilot to direct the film Elektra. But alas...  [snow_sad]

The only thing we really can do with this film is deal with the hand we have been dealt and try to accept it.

51 days 9 hours 54 minutes 55 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
9 new promotional banners/posters.
I wish Rob Bowman directed the movie. I also have his director's chair so I am slighly biased. But seriosly he did a good job in the 91 series.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=33458

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
In regards to the trailer doing its job, it did.  Number 6 on IMDB.

Wow, that's the highest the film has ever been on IMDb's MOVIEmeter (the previous high was #65 back during the week of January 29th). I guess the trailer really is doing its job.

51 days 9 hours 46 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Richard

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Didn't Jim Pierson state on the internet radio that the trailers accurately represent the film?

Hasn't Tim Burton said in an interview that (edited by admin)

There is such a thing as being too skeptical.

Depp, Burton and Pierson will say whatever they have to say to sell the movie. Understand that if they can get good ticket sales on opening weekend, and put the film in the black, they are justified, financially, before the backlash hits. A film this size can recover its investment in a weekend. They also know there is a new audience that doesn't have the same involvement in Dark Shadows that older fans have. This parody throws the older fans under the bus and enables Depp and Burton to flip the middle finger. They are arrogant people who thrive on extreme behavior. The celebrities have just told you what they think of you. The younger fans will keep spending their money on the new product, or forget about it as they did Bewitched  and The Green Hornet parodies / reboots.

Turning the new feature film into a Saturday Live Night parody of the program is not a legitimate extension of Dark Shadows. Just because it was discussed in the 2004 negotiation doesn't make it right. Dan Curtis despised that, and expressed his opinion of the reboots and negotiations in the interview on The Night Stalker / The Night Strangler DVD. This is a parody that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Many of you will laugh at the cheap jokes, but the film could have been so much better, so much more.

Personally, I've stopped listening to Jim Pierson. I don't believe a word he says. I have reason to know he mis-represents Dan Curtis's intentions. He knows who butters his bread. The less he has to do with Dark Shadows, the better.

I see David Lynch and Guillermo del Toro mentioned as possible directors for a Dark Shadows reboot. This suggests to me starting a new separate thread asking fans what they would like to see in a Dark Shadows feature film.

Richard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The above post has been edited to remove something that so far as we know here on the forum has not been substantiated because no one has so far cited an actual source and provided the full quote. And until such time that a source is discovered, it will continue to be considered hearsay and rumor, and any references to it will continue to be removed from posts.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
9 new promotional banners/posters.

Another wow! I love them. Though I wish we could see larger versions so that we could read what they say at the tops of them.

And see, that shot of Barnabas that was used to promote Burton's exhibit in France is actually being used for the film. Well, at least in Europe.

And another ringing endorsement for the trailer.

Thanks so much for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

51 days 9 hours 34 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MB do you see the name of the actor and character on top of each picture? Is that what you are not seeing? they do enlarge greatly at Empire.

I love the upcoming Fangoria front cover. http://www.fangoria.com/index.php/home/all-news/6755-first-look-fangoria-313-covers-and-contents

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
MB do you see the name of the actor and character on top of each picture? Is that what you are not seeing? they do enlarge greatly at Empire.

Really? I clicked on them and all I got was a bunch of product ads with even tinier versions of the posters.  [snow_huh]  I'll have to try again later.

I love the upcoming Fangoria front cover.

Oooo, very nice - and bloody.  [snow_wink]

Again, thanks so much for the link, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]  And maybe I'll actually order a copy from the Web site because doing that with HorrorHound worked out so well...

51 days 9 hours 6 minutes 13 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Very nice. Thanks even more for that link!   [snow_wink]

51 days 8 hours 58 minutes 44 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!