Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720501 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i just thought of all of those new images of barnabas and mrs.butterworth at the breakfast table...

how is it that a vampire is able to appear at breakfast?

in earlier shots of barnabas walking around in broad daylight we assumed he was undergoing treatments with julia(which of course he might). but in this scene he is clearly being first introduced to julia("who the hell is this?")as well as the rest of the family.

hmmm.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Gerard - I don't think anything about vampires is logical, any vampires.

Nancy - I really don't think anyone need avoid DS gathers. I think to suggest that is just a little over the top. As you say "It's just a movie." I think that if someone doesn't like the trailer they won't go to the movie. No roits, no protest, they just won't go see it. Nothing scary.

May you die before you want too.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
i'm with nancy,

what's happening "out there" is scary. very gross and scary.

i can imagine with all the present unhappiness within this fandom the fest could have a very toxic atmosphere.

ClaudeNorth

i can imagine with all the present unhappiness within this fandom the fest could have a very toxic atmosphere.

But, really, what fest doesn't?  [snow_wink]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
true claude...

the fest always has a slightly unsettling "edge". by sunday i'm always ready to get the heck out of there. [snow_wink]

Offline Richard

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Tom Selleck, quoted on IMDb on why he refused a cameo in the theatrical remake of Magnum P.I.:

I tell you what worries me -- because I love "Magnum" and we have
loyal fans -- is they take these TV show titles, and they buy them
and they spend $100 million on special effects, and then they make
fun of them and trivialize it. Then they try to get the actor who used
to be in it to do some ridiculous cameo to prove to the audience
that it's okay. And I will not do that.

Same thing has happened to Dark Shadows.

Richard

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I'm a little bummed that Stokes/Petofi isn't in this one. Patton Oswalt or Jack Black could have nailed a tongue-in-cheek version of either character.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
With regard to Tom Selleck's remarks, the thing is that sometimes things really work out. And what would seem to be a prime example of that is the new remake of 21 Jump Street as a comedy because from what I've seen it's getting rave reviews and doing quite well at the box office. Though, of course, that's no indication of what the original fanbase might think of the film. But then, as with DS, for better or worse the film version probably wasn't made with them as the target audience...

And another thing about 21 Jump Street doing so well is that it means a lot of people will see the DS trailer this weekend. Though only a fraction of the amount of people who will no doubt see it when it plays next weekend with The Hunger Games. And all of that is probably a good thing as far as those of us hoping the DS film will do well goes...

54 days 11 hours 16 minutes 19 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Went to see 21 Jump Street last night and of course the DS trailer was no where to be seen. Good performance by JD though.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
for what it's worth a coworker(who's only familiarity with the series in listening to me prattle on about it)saw the trailer and had an interesting observation...

that perhaps the culture is saturated with earnest, melodramatic and self loathing vampirism. of gloomy/romantic antiheros and their goth-chick girlfriends. that perhaps depp and burton have gone out on a limb and done something that feels fresher. he's excited for the movie.

while it's not necessarily what i expected or thought i wanted the more i watch the trailer the more i like it. try as i might i just can't muster any angst or betrayal. we have...and always will have...our "serious" DS. it's our little gem and cannot ever be replicated. so i'm fine with an amusing take on the situation. other recent "serious" offshoots of the series like the audiodramas are sour and dreary.

actually the first part of the trailer...the "my name is barnabas collins" and the josette stuff look leaden and dull. the later looks more fun. if nothing else the sets and costuming and art direction look fabulous. several of the performances great.

so if i'm not a "real fan" so be it. i'm looking forward to it. last night i watched the trailer 20 times. [snow_silly]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Given what ShadowGram has reported, that's very interesting, jimbo. I wonder if the DS trailer is actually only playing with 21 Jump Street in certain movie theater chains?

And with regard to some reactions about the DS trailer from friends, I attended a St Patrick's Day dinner with several friends last night, and without even any prompting from me, within two minutes of me joining them one friend mentioned how he'd seen the DS trailer on IMDb and loved it, and then a few others, all female, jumped in that they had seen it on other Web sites or on Ellen and they also liked what they saw. And these people run the gamut when it comes to exposure to DS because, while the one who loved it is still a big fan (owns all the DVDs, goes to Fests, the whole shebang), the others are people who haven't really seen much of the daytime DS since it was originally on but who remember it fondly. So take from that what you will...

54 days 10 hours 46 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I went to see it at a UA Regal Entertainment Group theater. I don't know about the other chains.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
My apologies. I saw it at an Atrium Stadium Cinemas chain.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Given what ShadowGram has reported, that's very interesting, jimbo. I wonder if the DS trailer is actually only playing with 21 Jump Street in certain movie theater chains?

Yes, this isn't too surprising, unfortunately.  Not every theater shows the exact same trailers before the same movies, though they usually show many of the same ones.  I checked on a movie buff site this morning (this site has a "crowd reports" section where they say how full the theater was and what trailers played) and only 2 of the 5 who saw 21 Jump Street saw the DS trailer (but one of them arrived late and only saw part of the last trailer, so it may have played at that theater).  So it did show before some screenings but not all.  I may be going to see it tomorrow so I'll report back here whether I see the trailer or not.

As for 21 JS fandom, I think it is a little different because most folks realize that the show is a bit dated and that even at the time, it was a little, well, earnest.  Also, most are also Depp fans.  Most people I know were just indifferent about the movie until it started getting such great reviews, and now there is some interest in it.  A small clip of part of Johnny's (and Peter DeLuise's) cameo was leaked a week or two ago, and I have to admit, it was not what I was expecting!  So yeah, that is adding to my interest in seeing the film.  But if the film had gotten terrible reviews, I think that most people would've just ignored the film.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
i just thought of all of those new images of barnabas and mrs.butterworth at the breakfast table...

how is it that a vampire is able to appear at breakfast?

in earlier shots of barnabas walking around in broad daylight we assumed he was undergoing treatments with julia(which of course he might). but in this scene he is clearly being first introduced to julia("who the hell is this?")as well as the rest of the family.

hmmm.

Julia is actually talking about (presumably) Angelique.  Because she follows it up with, "She for real?" in the next scene splice.