Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716968 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
While I am decidedly displeased with the tone of the film (based on the trailer) and feel it goes against what DS is all about, I would never say anyone who likes it isn't a true DS fan.  That's downright rotten and mean-spirited.  Even though I'm annoyed with it, I'm still planning to watch it.   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Thanks for the great screencaps MB! I am just loving the look of this movie more and more.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Notice anything funny here?
http://www.collinsport.sarawebsite.com/caps2012/0033.jpg
[snow_cheesy]

There are clearly two bicycles in the room and Angelique appears to be riding a unicycle?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I forgot to mention that if there's a sequence in the trailer that I didn't include in the screen captures I posted and it's not already covered by the links Sara Monster posted Thursday morning, I'd be happy to post something from it because my software broke up the trailer into its individual frames, so I already have screen caps of every frame of the trailer.

55 days 21 hours 38 minutes 22 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I saw the trailer from Ellen and am disappointed as far as "our" Dark Shadows is concerned.  The fact that both Johnny and Tim are supposedly big fans of the original leads one to expect something more like what we are used to.  But, if we put aside our expectations for "Dark Shadows," and just take it that the characters' names and relationships are the same, and that Angelique made him a vampire, but otherwise just take it as a new vampire movie and watch it on its own terms, it could turn out to be good.  Seeing this ahead of time, so as not to watch it with the expectation of it being like the series, one can put aside those ideas and just watch it and see what it turns out to be.

I really didn't notice much humor.  I suppose one could consider his reaction to television to be humorous.  After reading some of the other comments here, I do recall a few "one liners" which are somewhat humorous, but nothing seemed that funny for me to really think of it as full of humor.
Josette

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I just watched it again, and I suppose the manner in which they speak to each other and some of the lines could be considered humorous.  It's hard to judge without the context of the full movie, but it still seems eerie and dramatic and not simply funny,.
Josette

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
After watching the trailer a million more times, I have some observations.

As Collinwood is ablaze, the portrait of Barnabas is in distinct danger of burning up.  (The portrait above the mantle appears to be that of Barnabas.)   Even if Collinwood goes up, I would hope that several important pieces would be saved, namely portraits, music boxes, etc. 

Barnabas, Roger, Julia, and Vicki are absent from the scene of the family watching the fire. 

Barnabas saves David from the crashing Disco ball.

Mrs. Johnson is going to be a brilliant character.  And Julia appears to be quite fun as well. 

I still can't say that I like the trailer, but I am more curious than ever to learn about my favorite characters.  And I really want the tone of the movie to be much different from the comedic things we see here. There's a lot of drama spliced in between.  I hope it overrides the other. 

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
The cinematography looks beautiful, rich, expensive, and then they play some cheesy Barry White song???

You're the First, My Last, My Everything is a beautiful song. Tim Burton should have done his research. Barry White didn't record it until 1974. Also, the disco ball? That too is a little early.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Wonderful captures, MB. Thank you!!

Thanks too for Sara Monster!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
You're the First, My Last, My Everything is a beautiful song. Tim Burton should have done his research. Barry White didn't record it until 1974. Also, the disco ball? That too is a little early.

I was wondering about the disco ball, too, because I don't remember them in 1972 (but then again, I wasn't old enough to go to clubs at that time  [snow_wink] ).  But I looked it up on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco_ball

As for the Barry White song (and other music), just a thought but sometimes trailer music is different than what's in the film.  I agree it shouldn't be used if it's not appropriate to the year, though.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
And I honestly can't say when girls in go-go boots ceased dancing in cages, but I'm looking forward to seeing the film.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Anyone notice how comparatively toned down Depp's makeup is in the original ensemble photo?

I also like the various portraits of Angelique hanging in her conference room.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline MUGGYY

• View Profile
Saw the trailer a few hours ago and I'm still in utter disbelief at what I watched. I rewound and watched it a few more times, and I still can't believe it.

It'd be hard to imagine a worse way to redo Dan Curtis' Dark Shadows than to turn it into a lame and unfunny spoof which is what Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have clearly done. I don't know what's more shocking...  Depp and Burton (who claim to be DS fans) thinking that doing it as if it was "The Addams Family" or "The Munsters" was the way to go... or that a number of the original cast members agreed to do cameos in it (they can't have known they were doing a film that mocks the show like this does, and must've been blinded by Depp's movie star status)... or that Dan Curtis Productions agreed to license the show and let it be made into a joke. It's beyond disappointing to see what they've done with the late Mr. Curtis' brilliant, dark, gothic saga. Tim Burton's Dark Shadows is an embarrassment and is to Dan Curtis' Dark Shadows what "Love at First Bite" and "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" are to "Horror of Dracula" or Dan Curtis' own excellent version of Dracula. A spoof that mock's the original source material and vampires in general. What a waste.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing this goofy film.

I don't know you, but I share your sentiment completely.  I have decided to not waist my vacation, money, and energy on attending the premier in Hollywood or when it is released locally.  Additionally, I will not attend any DS festival that either Burton or Depp attend (I doubt either would show their face at one now anyway).  They have made a mockery of the entire DS series and I in no way consider them to be DS fans.

What I don't understand is how Johnathan has allowed himself to be associated with this.

Offline Maggie Babe

• View Profile
I am sure I will enjoy it for what it is. Just a little upset that I had to wait forty years for this. When they cancelled the show it was a void. I was 12. As a kid I was all about Dark Shadows. Fond memories of playing Dark Shadows with my late sister. I was always Angelique...she was either Maggie or Daphnie. This movie as a stand alone might be just fine but it does not fill the void I rememeber feeling when the show  ceased production. Guess you can never go back. Sigh. I miss them both.
Maggie Babe