Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717082 times)

Offline Maggie Babe

• View Profile
I hate what they did to my Dark Shadows. Burton, you ruined it. It should be creepy not goofy.
Maggie Babe

Offline hornet

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Saw the trailer a few hours ago and I'm still in utter disabelief at what I watched. I rewound and watched it a few more times, and I still can't believe it.

It'd be hard to imagine a worse way to redo Dan Curtis' Dark Shadows than to turn it into a lame and unfunny spoof which is what Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have clearly done. I don't know what's more shocking...  Depp and Burton (who claim to be DS fans) thinking that doing it as if it was "The Addams Family" or "The Munsters" was the way to go... or that a number of the original cast members agreed to do cameos in it (they can't have known they were doing a film that mocks the show like this does, and must've been blinded by Depp's movie star status)... or that Dan Curtis Productions agreed to license the show and let it be made into a joke. It's beyond disapointing to see what they've done with the late Mr. Curtis' brilliant, dark, gothic saga. Tim Burton's Dark Shadows is an embarassement and is to Dan Curtis' Dark Shadows what "Love at First Bite" and "Dracula: Dead and Loving It" are to "Horror of Dracula" or Dan Curtis' own excellent version of Dracula. A spoof that mock's the original source material and vampires in general. What a waste.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing this goofy film.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It could be really cool if someone with skills photoshopped the new DS logo onto a plain black background and uploaded it.

[ghost]

A black and white version would be cool too.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is what Chloe's brother just tweeted apparently based on the negative feedback about the comedic look of the trailer.

Trevor Duke-Moretz‏@TrevorDMoretz

fear not ppl, there is a lot of dark and creepy in #darkshadows, WB had to make a trailer that appealed widely, the film is brilliant

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Good to see you posting again, Maggie Babe and hornet!

Count me among the (smallish?) group that was excited by the trailer.  I think it looks like great fun.

Angelique says, "Love me!" and I do-- everything about her:  Her looks, her moods, that car, and the one movie scene that I've anticipated the most-- her spell, which we now know includes a blonde lock added to a bubbling cauldron.  Eva Green is amazing.

Hopefully the bathroom mirror scene will go.  Please?

So why shouldn't the next incarnation of DS be a departure? It could be wonderful.

Agreed!!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hopefully the bathroom mirror scene will go.  Please?

Me too.

Sucks.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
I'm in that small group with you, Midnite.  Fun.  Fun.  Fun.
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
NOTE: This is now the 3rd time I have created this post. I don't know WTF is going on with my computer tonight, but it keeps getting deleted. As such, this will be severely condensed compared to the previous versions.

At first I didn't like the trailer, but upon several more viewings I enjoyed it very much and am now looking forward to the movie more than ever. As others have stated, we have to remember that the trailer is often not what the actual movie will be in tone. Trailers are meant to make people want to see a film, and if they portrayed this movie as being dark, dreary, and moody no one would want to see it. It must appeal to a broad audience in order to make money, which is the ultimate goal. So, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the actual experience of the film is much different than what we have just witnessed today.

Things I didn't like about the trailer are as follows: The bathroom fang brushing scene. It's just TOOOO overdone. I mean, really, I expected more from this group than a retread of something we could find just anywhere. I also am not buying the sexual chemistry between Depp and Green for some reason. They fight very well, "Place your perfectly formed lips upon my rear and kiss it repeatedly," is a classic Barnabas line if I've ever heard one. Hopefully its turns out different in the actual film and I don't find myself forced to sit through a movie attempting to believe that these two are meant to be lovers.

My two favorite characters thus far are Angelique and Julia. Angelique, when written correctly, transcends time and actress, and I think the filmmakers have achieved that here. Green is a superb choice to play her. Likewise, Julia is probably my standout character from the trailer. Her "Who the hell is this" and "Is she for real?" lines made me laugh out loud. I think she's going to turn out to be the crazy Aunt who is intelligent if not whimsical.

Finally, I'm putting my two guesses out there for the characters who are going to die. I think they will be [spoiler]Roger and Vicki.[/spoiler] Just based on the trailer and the pictures that have already been released, I feel as if this is a good guess.

Also, is it confirmed that Heathcote is the actress playing both Vicki AND Josette? If so, she looks strikingly different as Josette.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I just watched the original series episode where Barnabas is having dinner with his "Josette."  It was beautiful, poignant, and suspenseful.  And as I watched it, I became very sad thinking that this trailer is what has become of the beautiful, dark, romantic tale I have loved my whole life.  If I hadn't watched that episode, if I hadn't seen Jonathan Frid, if I hadn't heard that music box, I'd probably be okay with this.  But, in all honesty, I'm really not now.   And I feel kind of betrayed that two original series fans could be okay with making some of these scenes as part of a project called "Dark Shadows."  I get it if it's Dark Shadows: The Comedy.  But, it's called Dark Shadows and it credits Dan Curtis as its creator.  And as much as he held back the progression of the show with his persistent vision, I feel that it was for the best if the failed efforts were going to look anything like this trailer. 

If this trailer is not an accurate reflection of the film, if there are more legitimate, true-to-the-original moments in the film than the cheap comedy, I will take back everything I said and feel.  But, right now, it's pretty hard.  I never thought I was one to take Dark Shadows extremely seriously.  I have laughed along with the show a lot.  But the main emphasis of this trailer is quite unnerving, to say the least. 

I respect everyone who enjoyed this trailer and your opinions.  But, I just had to express how I feel.  And I hope that the final film looks a lot more like the scenes cut in-between these comic bits than the silly sex scenes.  I love 1772, any clip with Bella Heathcote, and I found many of the Barnabas jokes enjoyable, but, the Angelique-Barnabas sex stuff, the toothbrush scene...  It just doesn't come remotely close in tone to the original.  And I'm not okay with how far they have taken it.  Like I said, this is just how I feel.  And I hope we will have another trailer that comes out to make me rethink everything.  Right now, if this is a reflection of the film, though...  I'm very disappointed.   

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
NOTE: ...this will be severely condensed compared to the previous versions.

See if you can finally post the whole thing, your thoughts are always good reading.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Has anyone else noticed the following about the characters in the picture on the movies website:

1. Carolyn's hair is blowing VERY gently, as if a breeze is present.
2. Angelique's dress sparkles, and she winks at you.
3. Victoria's eyes move to the right to look at Barnabas.
4. Barnabas' eyes look down towards the logo.
5. Elizabeth's waist broach sparkles.

That's all I've noticed for now.
Brandon Collins

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel

See if you can finally post the whole thing, your thoughts are always good reading.

Thanks! I will try to do that either later tonight or possibly tomorrow evening. I'm sure I'm going to watch the trailer at least a GAZILLION more times between now and then.
Brandon Collins

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Victoria's got Carolyn's hair-flip? Is that what that's called? I like it.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I absolutely love the trailer for Dark Shadows!   I love the juxtaposition of dark and light.  As for whoever thought the line "REVEAL YOURSELF TINY SONGTRESS!"  wasn't funny I have to disagree! I literrally laughed out loud!  I thought that was hysterical! I am so looking forward to watching this movie. I am so excited to to watch a new version of Dark Shadows that isn't a rehash of everything that has come before. As you all know I came Dark Shadows through the 1991 version yet I instantly fell in love with the original as well.  I personally am glad that I have an open mind when it comes to re-imaginings. When Josette ghost said "He's coming" there was nothing funny about that.  It was classic Dark Shadows.  I think this will be a great movie and I for one cannot wait to till May 11!

I also am very happy that this will breath new life into Dark Shadows.  I know there has to be people out there who like me will be curious about the original and the 1991 version and watch and probably fall in love with both. 

I think we should all be thankful that such attention is being brought to our beloved show because I for one want Dark Shadows to live on long after I leave this earth.  And I hope that in some small way I have contributed to the legacy of Dark Shadows.....

I also want to say how thankful I am for this board because Facebook can be a nasty place to be when it comes to the new movie.  THANKS to Mysterious and Midnite for being such wonderful moderators!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I'm sure I'm going to watch the trailer at least a GAZILLION more times between now and then.

I can't stop watching it either, ha ha.