Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719736 times)

Offline Richard

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile

ClaudeNorth

I'm on the fence about this.  There are moments when I think, "They nailed it!" and moments when I think, "They ruined it!"  It looks great, and the 18th century scenes strike me as grand drama.  But the more humorous moments just don't do it for me. Not that I object to the use of humor in the film.  It's that I find those moments far too jokey for my tastes.  (I'm sorry, but that fang-brushing bit is lame!)

I'm not nearly as excited about the movie as I once was, but I'm curious to see how the disparate elements will come together (or if they do come together).  The film cannot be judged by the trailer because there are moments when unrelated scenes are cut together to create a particular effect.  For example, when Julia says, "Who the hell is this?", Barnabas's response ("I am a vampire, madame.") is clearly from a different part of the film. 

I still intend to see it on opening day and will go into the theater with an open mind, hoping for the best.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
will go into the theater with an open mind, hoping for the best.

Which is exactly how those of us still interested in seeing the film should approach it.  [snow_wink]

56 days 3 hours 24 minutes 15 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
I'm going to be uploading screencaps from the HD trailer.
You can access the image index here:
http://www.collinsport.sarawebsite.com/caps2012/

until I make an index page.

When I'm done, there will be 77 total.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Access Hollywood featured about 45 seconds of the trailer on tonight's show - however the entire trailer is on their Web site.

On the other hand, Extra did a whole segment which featured much more of the trailer, a clip from the original series, and a short interview with Depp. And because of the latter I'll upload that as soon as I get the chance.  [snow_smiley]

I won't see Entertainment Tonight until after midnight...

56 days 3 hours 9 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
For example, when Julia says, "Who the hell is this?", Barnabas's response ("I am a vampire, madame.") is clearly from a different part of the film.

Especially since there's another clip a little later when Julia says "Is she for real?"  It appears the "she" in that line is very possibly the person she's referring to in the earlier line.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
EW's take of the trailer

And another thumbs up.  [snow_smiley]
(Though apparently he doesn't realize that the "I am a vampire" shot is from a different scene.  [snow_rolleyes])

56 days 3 hours 4 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
will go into the theater with an open mind, hoping for the best.

Which is exactly how those of us still interested in seeing the film should approach it.  [snow_wink]

That's still what I'm planning to do, although I cannot deny the fact that I'm frightened.  [snow_shocked]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks so much for sharing your screen caps, Sara monster!  They are wonderful. 

My biggest complaint about the trailer right now is that when Barnabas pulls the plug on the TV, Karen Carpenter still seems to be on the screen?!    [snow_tongue]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Have to say, Barnabas looks so young and so cute in his pre-cursed state!  [snow_kiss]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
My biggest complaint about the trailer right now is that when Barnabas pulls the plug on the TV, Karen Carpenter still seems to be on the screen?!    [snow_tongue]

I don't think he pulls the plug out - I think he just pulls the back off.  [snow_cheesy]

56 days 2 hours 54 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Okay, everything is all uploaded & displayed in thumbnails:
http://www.collinsport.sarawebsite.com/caps2012/

Notice anything funny here?
http://www.collinsport.sarawebsite.com/caps2012/0033.jpg

Me thinks Barnabas prefers another form of transportation than cars.  [snow_cheesy]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hollywood Reporter another thumbs up I believe. I'm sure it will be correcting the stated May 25th release date. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dark-shadows-trailer-johnny-depp-tim-burton-300814

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I was afraid the film would be less about what fans love about DS and more about how cool Tim Burton is, and if the trailer is any indication, it looks like that may in fact be the case. But I'm not nearly as upset as I was afraid I'd be. I've had a while to ready myself for it, and I feel pretty optimistic.   

I've heard it said about the '91 revival that a large part of its failure, for those who don't find it appealing, was Dan Curtis's strict adherence to his original vision, and his unwillingness to try anything really new or different with the series.

I tend to agree. If for no other reason than that any attempt to "do" DS again is useless. DS was so much more than the sum of its plots. It was the product of a specific time, a specific place, and specific people.   

Phil said it beautifully:

I...absolutely love the crazy edge of the show's "live on tape" energy, up to and including the bloopers and mishaps. Those elements are inextricable from what I love about the show, and it's why nothing's ever gotten it "right" - not HODS, not the 1991 version, not the 2004 pilot. The original series can never be duplicated, so to me hoping they "get it right" is an exercise in futility.

So why shouldn't the next incarnation of DS be a departure? It could be wonderful.

We're probably going to get a restored NODS and HOSD on DVD/Blu-ray, the complete original series is coming out with an edit or two restored, who knows what else is in the works. Things could be worse.

I'll take DS directed by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp over no DS at all any day.

[ghost]
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey