Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720161 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
If it wasn't a "Dark Shadows" movie I would feel very different about the trailer. I could maybe even like it. This may not be a bad movie but it isn't "Dark Shadows". One could call Young Frankenstein a Frankenstein movie but if I wanted to watch a Frankenstein it would be my last choice. If I wanted to watch a great Mel Brooks movie it would my first choice.

I may go see this movie. I may even buy it. But when I want to watch Dark Shadows, it won't be this.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Don't get me wrong - does the film seem in its entirety like the film I would have dearly wished Depp would have made? Uh, no. But am I willing to keep an open mind and consider the possibility that I can actually enjoy it for the film that it is? Yes. And I'm also keeping mindful that the trailer is only 2 minutes and 24 seconds of the film, but even at that, there are definitely true DS moments in it - and there are likely to be true DS moments in the vast majority of the footage that I have yet to see. So, I'm definitely not willing to write it off yet...

56 days 6 hours 5 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Exactly.  Open the newspaper, turn on the news and see what real problems are.  Well said.

The idea of fans hacking out little police states where you agree with them or face the firing squad on Twitterpate and Facebook is beyond ridiculous.  These people really have wayyy too much time on their hands.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport
Thankfully, since that first link is dead, looks like someone else just uploaded the trailer,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTZ3zmFmwuA

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Same here.  I don't want to watch a film with one gag after another, even if it is situation-driven humor.  Two hours of watching Barnabas cope with the 1970s would not be very interesting to me  no matter how realistic his confusion may be.  The OS Barnabas did employ tongue-in-cheek humor on rare occasions and only then because the writers didn't give him much chance to be even that funny.  I can handle this kind of humor in our vacillating vampire and in the movie itself. 

As I have said before, we have all seen previews on DVDs about other and upcoming DVDs and at the movies saw trailers for other movies.  Then we see the promoted film and realize things in the trailer or preview were taken out of context and what we are now seeing is different from the preview.  I have no doubt we will experience some of that when we see the film in May.

Don't get me wrong - does the film seem in its entirety like the film I would have dearly wished Depp would have made? Uh, no. But am I willing to keep an open mind and consider the possibility that I can actually enjoy it for the film that it is? Yes. And I'm also keeping mindful that the trailer is only 2 minutes and 24 seconds of the film, but even at that, there are definitely true DS moments in it - and there are likely to be true DS moments in the vast majority of the footage that I have yet to see. So, I'm definitely not willing to write it off yet...

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I just caught the trailer on TV with my Mom and my sister and we were all laughing through it, I think it looks brilliant! I can't wait to see the movie!

I've got reasons for thinking this works a lot more than others may think, but I don't think I'm going to sway anyone with them, so you can add me to the list of people that thinks this movie looks like a lot of fun.

I told my Mom that I was worried this movie was going to cause a real schism in the fandom, which I hope isn't true. We can all agree to love the original series together, something I think is getting lost as people take sides.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
People thought that might happen with the 1991 Revival series too but no such schism occurred.  There will always be people who liked and disliked the revival, the two DS movies from the 1970s, and then this upcoming DS movie.  In the end, nothing changes the fact the DS that brought us together in the first place will still be standing.

nancy

I told my Mom that I was worried this movie was going to cause a real schism in the fandom, which I hope isn't true. We can all agree to love the original series together, something I think is getting lost as people take sides.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I didn't know we were taking sides. I don't know about the rest of the fans here but I'm just giving my opinion of this movie. If we have to take sides I'll take the right side.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Jonathan Frid will see the trailer tomorrow. 

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Thanks Nancy, that's a good point! DS is something we're all obviously passionate about.

I just hate how internet anonymity makes others (no one here, I'm relying on hearsay elsewhere) feel that they can say things to people they never would face to face. I mean, I've only been to a few cons, but I've never heard anyone get into a screaming match over the superiority of the original series over the 91 series or vice versa. It's terrible the internet breeds that kind of behavior.

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I watched the trailer today and it seemed to me like a comedy.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Yes, I agree with you.  We sometimes forget there are real people, like ourselves, on the other end of that screen. 

And there are and always will be fans who will take changes in the new DS movie (compared to the OS) as a personal affront.  Not even the super bitch slap machine can remedy that. [snow_bigglass]

I mean, I've only been to a few cons, but I've never heard anyone get into a screaming match over the superiority of the original series over the 91 series or vice versa. It's terrible the internet breeds that kind of behavior.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Received this on my phone:

gkfilms ‏ @gkfilms
The trailer for Tim Burton's #DarkShadows starring Johnny Depp has just hit the interwebs: http://bit.ly/wK4fje
7:55 PM - 15 Mar 12

And BTW, the high res caps have been delayed due to technical difficulties and the fact that I need my computer to do some other things - but they will definitely be posted later tonight.  [snow_smiley]

56 days 4 hours 0 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I would say that that is definitely the poster. Thanks for posting the link, Sara Monster.  [snow_smiley]

56 days 3 hours 44 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!