Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720937 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Will you see it again ProfStokes? To see the theatrical cut?

No; I have no interest in seeing this movie again.

Oh and one more question if you don't mind, do you think the laughter stemmed from the material actually being funny, or from misunderstanding of the material itself, and did YOU find it funny?

I think the audience was genuinely amused.  I smiled and laughed at certain things too.  Some of the dialogue, particularly interactions among the family members, was funny.  There's a montage of sight gags that was kind of cute.  One character has a very sarcastic personality that made for enjoyable comic relief.  However, I thought that the level of humor was uneven, and many of the gags felt overdone and ham-fisted to me.  I thought certain jokes were run into the ground by repetition.  Everybody's sense of humor is different though.  I prefer witticisms and irony to buffoonery or sex jokes (I would never watch The Hangover, which is an incredibly popular comedy franchise nonetheless) so my tastes may not be refelctive of the majority.

ProfStokes

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Now I am starting to put things together... even before the trailer is released.  This is very interesting...  I think I will enjoy some of it, but other parts (which I have feared since the early descriptions of the trailer) seem to be out of the realm of what we traditional DS fans like.  But who knows... my speculation could be completely wrong, and they may change the film considerably by the time it hits theaters.  One can hope that we get the best possible product in the end.  There's still time.  Again, thanks for the insight, ProfStokes. 

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Thanks for the reply ProfStokes!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
They should launch it with Hunger Games.

You called it, Cousin Barnabas.  ShadowGram reported that the trailer will also screen this weekend prior to The Hunger Games.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is great news, Midnite!  Thanks for sharing!

I hope that marketing effort will attract a sizable amount of The Hunger Games audience, which should be quite plentiful.  Now we just have to hope that the final film is good, so these new fans will be able to enjoy DS much in the same way we all do.   [snow_smiley] 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That is great news, Midnite!

Indeed it is.

56 days 20 hours 13 minutes 8 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
At this point I'm glad the title logo is different and I hope Robert Cobert's music is no where to be found. I hope we don't have a series of DS comedies, therefor I hope this movie doesn't even make it's trailer's budget back. Oh, and I'm pretty much done with Depp/Burton.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Sara Monster

• * 150000 Poster!! *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Willie Loomis Saves Collinsport

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but that "Strange is Relative" tagline sounded very familiar to me.  I just recalled that a very similar tagline, "Weird is Relative," was used for the '91 Addams Family movie.  Since the new movie looks to be more Addams Family than Dark Shadows, that makes sense I suppose.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Not that I've looked at them yet, but if those are screen captures, they could quite possibly be from the trailer. I was just over on Ellen's Web site to see if the show airs earlier than 4pm on any stations, and it does. In fact, at this hour it's already airing on 4 stations (2 in Pennsylvania, 1 in North Carolina, and 1 in Mississippi) and will air on another 3 in the next hour (another in Mississippi, 1 in Michigan, and 1 in Louisiana). So, beyond any screen captures, it'll be interesting to see if anything pops up on YouTube or elsewhere before the rest of the country gets to start seeing the show this afternoon.

56 days 13 hours 41 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks for all the links, Sara!  I am firewalled from Facebook during the day, and I dare not click the first link, but I appreciated being able to see the photos for now.  Mostly very cool!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
MB, you did more research than me, but I was thinking the same thing.  I checked my own listings, and Ellen airs at 3 where I am, and even though I can't watch it, I was thinking that the show must be on in the morning in some areas, and that once it airs, it'll probably be all over the net!  So, I'll be checking around this morning 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, now that I've seen them, I'd say that if the entire trailer shows the DS logo throughout, as the short clip we saw in the Ellen promo does, those photos probably aren't screen captures from the trailer. But certainly the one of Burton directing Eva Green isn't.

Who knows where they may have come from? But I love them! Some are truly amazing looking!  [thumb]  And anyone who wants copies had probably best get them ASAP lest there be another situation like the one with that Brazilian Web site.  [snow_wink]

56 days 13 hours 28 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Another thing I just noticed...

In the preview stills we have (presumably from the trailer) and the short preview that was included with the "tomorrow on Ellen" clip yesterday, WHY is Barnabas coming out of his coffin during the day? Has he been cured by Julia, and just prefers to sleep in his coffin anyway? There's a lot of sunlight streaming through the window directly behind him.

Also, one of the new stills that Sara Monster posted, makes it pretty obvious that [spoiler]there is a fire at Collinwood at some point during the film. Perhaps this is Angelique's way of getting back at Barnabas? Locking him back in his coffin, as we can assume from another picture, and then setting the family home ablaze?[/spoiler]

I'm as intrigued as ever.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran