Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716266 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks MB, Ronny G, Cousin_Barnabas for taking the time to upload the photos to the board.

Thanks ProfStokes for the post. I assume the audience had to complete a survey at the end of the movie so maybe TPTB will adjust accordingly.

Thanks Nancy. That is encouraging.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I hesitate to mention this because who knows if they are or aren't really violating the agreement they signed, but several people took to Twitter after the test screening to say how much they liked the film. Two even specifically said something to the effect that they couldn't wait until the film actually comes out so that they can go into detail. And at least two of the people are fans of the original show because their names are familiar to me (from back when I was following Twitter closely while the DS film was shooting) as people who have frequently tweeted comments about original series' eps.

Interestingly, no one tweeted negative reactions - at least not that I've seen. Though it may just be that people with negative reactions don't think they can tweet about them. Who knows? But regardless, the positive reactions are encouraging...

57 days 15 hours 31 minutes 44 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Thanks, MB.  A fellow fan and friend was also going through Twitter late last night and early this morning looking for comments from others who attended the test screening and told me the same thing - the comments were mostly positive.  I did not see the tweets myself.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Admin Note:

Three posts were split from this topic and switched to "Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers" because that's where spoilers are to be discussed. We please ask that no links to anything by people violating their non-disclosure agreement, regardless of whether they're pro or con of the film, be posted to this topic.  [snow_smiley]

Thanks,
MB

(Also, please check to see if someone has already posted a link before posting it again. Yes, I've said that it's better to have something posted twice than not at all. But when links are posted so closely together in the same topic, well...)

57 days 13 hours 34 minutes 12 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Sorry, MB - I think we have a different take on what constitutes spoilers, and as a spoilerphobe myself I had not checked the spoiler thread. Apologies for the duplicate info.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
What I wrote here was really more of a preemptive strike than anything else. The real issues involved are discussed in reply #81 of "Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers." And we would greatly appreciate it if everyone reads that post before discussing any of the spoilery things that may show up on the Internet regarding the test screening.

And thanks again.  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Many thanks, Amanda, for your thoughts.  I am glad you got to attend the screening.

It's good to read thoughts from a bona-fide DS fan who is known to me.  The review I read on another site wasn't written by a DS fan.

G.

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
First off, thank you to everybody who provided information (links to the trailers, screen captured pictures and opinions on the rough cut) about the movie yesterday.  Reading all of this this morning reminded me of how I felt as a kid opening presents on Christmas morning. 

I was struck by a thought.  If you had told me five years ago that two vampire movies that would be released in 2012 would include one titled Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter and another titled and based on Dark Shadows, and then you told me one was intended to be a comedy, I would have believed you but would have been completely wrong about which film was which.  In keeping with my Christmas morning analogy, I'm afraid I may end up being disappointed in my biggest gift despite my initial enthusiasm after the initial novelty wears off...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
At this point I don't think much can be done in terms editing the movie based on what the test screened audience had to say. For example, if the majority of the audience didn't like the comedy or it wanted more horror elements added, TB can't truly change the film that dramatically. Secondly, will TB even listen to what the test audience has to say? I don't think the studio can force him to make changes. But then again I don't know how this industry works.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
The small amount of feedback I've seen on the Depp discussion boards from attendees of the screening has been extremely positive- I haven't even noticed one negative comment.  So perhaps those who think that the film may not play as well to DS fans as to other audiences may be right on.  Hmm.  I will say that as someone who straddles the line between both worlds, I, too, woke up a little disappointed this morning to hear so many mentions of how funny it is.  Don't get me wrong, all along I've been fine with the use of humor in the film. I've probably said here many times already (so apologies for repeating myself) that both Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd, both Depp/Burton films, have a lot of humor but are definitely *not* comedies, and the latter in particular is very, very dark.  However, I don't want to be laughing all the way through the film, whereas fans who are less familiar with DS may be fine with that.

It's strange how just yesterday, seeing the brief glimpses of the trailer had me feeling so pleased, because I thought the look and the tone was perfect.  But now I'm a bit concerned again.  I'm just hoping that for me, anyway, it may just be a matter of adjusting my expectations a little bit, and I'll probably still enjoy the film.  I do understand where some of you are coming from, though.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The situation of editing based on test audience response varies from film to film. The studios can force changes in some cases. But If a director has clout, that's less likely. And if the director has final cut written into their contract, then they have final cut regardless. Plus we have no idea what the consensus of the test audience is anyway. On the one hand we have what ProfStokes wrote and what she said she overheard. But then we also have the people who laughed and seemed to enjoy it and the favorable remarks on Twitter and Depp boards.

Possibly the film may just turn out to be a love it or hate it prospect with very little opinion in the middle. But then, that can be said of a lot of Burton's films, so if it does turn out that way, we shouldn't be surprised.  [snow_wink]

Personally I'm still keeping an open mind. That doesn't mean I'm turning a blind eye to what some have said. But I want to see the film for myself before I form an opinion.

57 days 10 hours 20 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
You speak for me as well.  I didn't know what to think when I read one of the links.  It all comes down to individual perception.  I did not see SWEENEY TODD but I loved SLEEPY HOLLOW for its horror and its well-placed humor.  The humor wasn't spoofing the story, just the natural sort of humor that happens in life even in very tense circumstances.  Waking up two centuries after your supposed death must certainly be an alarming experience, especially if your dietary requirements are very unusual and difficult to acquire, never mind getting used to an entirely different world and vernacular.  There's plenty of humor to be found in these circumstances and that's what I expect to see in the film.  I'm more curious now than ever.

Nancy

Hmm.  I will say that as someone who straddles the line between both worlds, I, too, woke up a little disappointed this morning to hear so many mentions of how funny it is.  Don't get me wrong, all along I've been fine with the use of humor in the film. I've probably said here many times already (so apologies for repeating myself) that both Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd, both Depp/Burton films, have a lot of humor but are definitely *not* comedies, and the latter in particular is very, very dark.  However, I don't want to be laughing all the way through the film, whereas fans who are less familiar with DS may be fine with that.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am glad the spoliers topic is the one getting a little spicy and not this one!  I have been stuck in this thread for years, and this is where I plan to stay until our journey's end. 

Nancy, thank you for sharing your friend's thoughts.  That is very encouraging. I also have read several positive reviews.

Now here's some news about the "preview"...  I figured I should post it here, because it includes some VERY good news that I hope translates into the final film. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/board/thread/196194903?d=196194903&p=1#196194903

And then there is this publication doing something on Shadows...

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/total-film-magazine-issue-192-1/dark-shadows

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for the heads up on Total Film, Cousin_Barnabas. I need to do some errands tonight, and conveniently there's a Barnes & Noble in the vicinity of where I'm going. I'll definitely have to check to see if the issue is in yet or, if like Empire, it won't be available in the US for a few weeks yet.

57 days 8 hours 18 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks for the heads up on Total Film, Cousin_Barnabas. I need to do some errands tonight, and conveniently there's a Barnes & Noble in the vicinity of where I'm going. I'll definitely have to check to see if the issue is in yet or, if like Empire, it won't be available in the US for a few weeks yet.

57 days 8 hours 18 minutes 48 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

In my experience, the UK publications don't get here to the US until about 3 weeks later (it may be sooner if you live in NY or LA, but I'm in the DC suburbs).  It's worth a chance to stop by B&N, though, if you can- you never know!  There have been a few times when I've REALLY wanted a UK mag, and been able to buy it on eBay.  Even if it takes a week to send from the UK, I have the peace of mind of having it and not missing it at the local bookstore, especially since my closest bookstore used to be Border's, which has now gone under (the building is vacant, at the moment).  But it may not be practical for most people to use eBay, factoring in the postage expense.  Anyway, I add my thanks to Cousin for the heads-up!