Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717097 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
"Very unique" (per the tweet) is good!!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I absolutely LOVE the tagline.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
This has been a really exciting day for DS fans!
Thanks everyone for posting the news.
Special shout out to MB for the Body of Proof tip.
I read your post as the show was on the air, so I rushed over and turned on my VCR to record it.
It sounds like they are going to show the full trailer during Once Upon a Time on ABC Sunday.

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
Here's the background image from the website.
Maybe you can use it as wallpaper.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
THE WEBSITE IS UP

I do like how they've made their own version of the cast photo out of mostly other photos.

57 days 22 hours 1 minutes 17 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
MB, thanks so much for those images!  They are breathtaking! 

Midnite, I totally agree!  Another Tweet calls the movie "amazing."

Ronny, thanks for sharing the background image!

I have lightened MB's image of Collinwood.  It brings out some more details:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/dslight.jpg/

And another tagline for the film appears to be:  "Every family has its demons."  That one is showing up on Twitter with direct links to the website. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
21 Jump Street sounds like a horrible pairing...  Ewww...  No wonder they are upping the comedy angle.

Films and trailers don't have to be of the same genre to be paired together. I've seen plenty of trailers for dramatic films paired with comedies and vice versa, as well as romantic comedies paired with action films and vice versa.

They should launch it with Hunger Games.

That would have been nice. But I have no idea how things work when trailers from one studio are paired with a film from another. Perhaps Lionsgate wouldn't allow DS to be paired with it...

Anyway, this Tweet from an hour ago:

javad shahriar:

Just saw dark shadows go see it when comes . Very unique

I agree with Midnite that "very unique" is good.  [snow_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I have lightened MB's image of Collinwood.  It brings out some more details

You beat me to it because I was going to do the very same thing just to see if any details showed up.  [snow_wink]

57 days 21 hours 38 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I went to the preview screening even though it was full, figuring that if I got in line early enough with my ticket, I just might get in.

And I did.

We all had to sign non-disclosure agreements, however, so I cannot comment on the comedic aspects of the film in any way.  Instead, I will link to random youtube clips that are completely unrelated to DS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXcJTbgt1N8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhehfTx3aOA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0YLLkr7VfU

I suppose it's OK to discuss what I heard other people saying about the movie, if not the movie itself.  The gentleman who introduced the picture referred to it as "A Gothic, humorous, off-beat film."  Many people laughed frequently throughout the movie.  As people left the theater, I heard some complaining that they were confused about the story and disappointed with the film overall.  The audience didn't seem to know what to make of it.

For my own part, I thoroughly enjoyed the first 20 minutes, but became progressively disillusioned as the movie went on and left feeling very discouraged.  It's a very good looking movie with several terrific performances (though not necessarily from the stars you might have expected).  However, it is definitely not DS as we know it.  Granted, this was an early cut of the film, but I don't know how it will be received by a mainstream audience, let alone the fan base.

ProfStokes

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Films and trailers don't have to be of the same genre to be paired together. I've seen plenty of trailers for dramatic films paired with comedies and vice versa, as well as romantic comedies paired with action films and vice versa.

Oh, I know.  I still remember that Dictator trailer before The Woman in Black...  And, if anything, it made me want to see the movie less...   [snow_cheesy]

You beat me to it because I was going to do the very same thing just to see if any details showed up

Great minds!  You can still go ahead and do it.  I just uploaded the lower-res version, because ImageShack is fussy if you don't sign into an account. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
PS, thank you for sharing.  I am disappointed in hearing that.  I do not know what else to say at this point.  I am sure I will have a better opinion when the trailer comes out.

Therefore, I am just going to list the first part of the credits for the film as per the website, since again it's hard to read:

Warner Bros Pictures Presents
In Association with Village Roadshow Pictures an Infinitum Nihil/GK Films/Zanuck Company Production A Tim Burton Film Johnny Depp "Dark Shadows"
Michelle Pfeiffer Helena Bonham Carter Eva Green Jackie Earle Haley Jonny Lee Miller Chloe Grace Moretz Bella Heathcote
Music by Danny Elfman...

There's more, but I think that is what most people are interested in.  There is also a bit about the soundtrack album being available to purchase, but I can't make out what it says...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Thank you ProfStokes for the hints about it.  It does leave me with mixed emotions.  I was more optimistic previously.
Josette

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Well.... huh! I love each of those movies you referenced, so I'm not disappointed by those. If it's heavily comedic I might be disappointed, but then again, I might not. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Will you see it again ProfStokes? To see the theatrical cut?

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Oh and one more question if you don't mind, do you think the laughter stemmed from the material actually being funny, or from misunderstanding of the material itself, and did YOU find it funny?

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I know someone who saw the film as well.  He liked it.  He had seen the original DS, said the film was very different but enjoyable.  He would not comment further for the same reasons ProfStokes could not.