Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717009 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just came across these tweets via the JOHNNYDEPPZONE Web site:

Geoff Boucher ‏ @LATherocomplex
Zanuck on Dark Shadows: It's a bit of a horror film, a love story, a soap opera and there's humor; all of it adds up to great entertainment
1:48 PM - 3 Feb 12

Geoff Boucher ‏ @LATherocomplex
Pretty happy with "John Carter" set story (http://lat.ms/xaldSu) & next week we have true world exclusive: The only "Dark Shadows" set visit
4:45 PM - 2 Mar 12

As to the second tweet, I've gone through all the posts since that John Carter set story, and there hasn't been anything about DS yet - but for it to be "next week" it should be coming soon. Hopefully it will be as interesting as the JC piece. And presumably the Zanuck quote from the first tweet will show up in the DS piece.

And there was also this tweet:

Schultz & Wiremu ‏ @multidyer
@widowshill hey! I just heard that Dark Shadows should be released in May! My friend has just filmed the orchestra playing the score for it!
3:02 PM - 5 Mar 12

61 days 8 hours 38 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
... replaced the photos with huge graphics that say REMOVED in big red letters. And they're sites from here in the US, not outside the US, so who knows? Though there are plenty of other sites that still have them on display. Though that may be because either they're ignoring Warner Brothers (which may not be a good thing) or they haven't been contacted to remove them because they're not on Warner Brothers' radar (at least not yet).

All of the major entertainment sites that I looked at had them removed.  The smaller entities still have them up.  So, Warners definitely did a job on them.  And I can't figure out why...  Unless they want those images to promote the launch of the website...

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the video to play. Has anyone who understands French seen it? And if so, does it actually say that the trailer would be released in a few days?

Also, the people on IMDb seem to think that all the recent photos that have been released are from scenes in the trailer. I came across one post where someone even says it's been confirmed that they do - but the person doesn't cite a source.

I cannot play the video either.  And the IMDB boards are full of so much speculation mixed with fact that it's hard to tell what is actually going on and who knows what he is actually talking about...  It would surprise me if we got past this coming Friday without something though...  A poster, a trailer, a website...  It just doesn't seem plausible. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Off-topic, but it got me thinking:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3390

Apparently they are blaming poor marketing for a week opening day for this film.  Considering that other than hearing about it from the MTV poll and then hearing a brief radio interview about it yesterday morning, I heard/saw nothing, it makes sense.  I hope that Warners doesn't make the same mistake as Disney and gets the ball rolling on Shadows ASAP.  No one wants the film to flop just because Warners didn't market it right.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I suspect boxofficemojo.com didn't like the take the marketing strategy for JC took, not that they believe it wasn't marketed. In fact, 1) they say that the movie's expected take is "a truly terrible start for any heavily-marketed sci-fi movie," and 2) for more than a month I've been seeing all sorts of TV ads, the entertainment news shows have been doing all sorts of segments on the movie - several just this past week alone, and there have been all sorts of online articles about the movie on the various entertainment Web sites that I routinely visit. So, in terms of the sheer volume of promotion, we should only be so lucky that DS gets as much.  [snow_wink]

What I suspect may be hurting the movie is its horrendous reviews, with some calling it the worst movie ever made. Though I can say that the movie didn't interest me in the slightest, so no amount of promotion or even the most stellar of reviews would have made me want to see it...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
And the IMDB boards are full of so much speculation mixed with fact that it's hard to tell what is actually going on and who knows what he is actually talking about...

True. And no matter the Web site, people tend to lose me whenever they make claims that something has been confirmed yet they fail to provide a source for the supposed confirmation. Though when it comes to the claim about the French news segment, it would be very foolhardy indeed for them to make the claim that it says something that it doesn't because anyone who can access the video and who does understand French could easily discredit them.

It would surprise me if we got past this coming Friday without something though...  A poster, a trailer, a website...  It just doesn't seem plausible.

IF they want to tie the trailer to Wrath of the Titans, I can actually see nothing coming about until sometime during the week of the 30th. But as always, we shall see...

60 days 23 hours 51 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Another interesting take on the lack of a trailer and the DS film's prospects:

Tim Burton’s Dark Shadows
(People like MTV's John Mitchell would do well to read articles like this.  [snow_wink])

60 days 23 hours 43 minutes 1 second until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I suspect boxofficemojo.com didn't like the take the marketing strategy for JC took, not that they believe it wasn't marketed. In fact, 1) they say that the movie's expected take is "a truly terrible start for any heavily-marketed sci-fi movie," and 2) for more than a month I've been seeing all sorts of TV ads, the entertainment news shows have been doing all sorts of segments on the movie - several just this past week alone, and there have been all sorts of online articles about the movie on the various entertainment Web sites that I routinely visit. So, in terms of the sheer volume of promotion, we should only be so lucky that DS gets as much.  [snow_wink]

That is interesting.  I missed that part about the film being "heavily marketed."  Thanks for pointing that out and sharing your experiences, MB.  I guess it was just ineffective - as I am certain I must have seen ads for it too then...  I suppose they just weren't eye-catching or memorable.  So, let's hope that Shadows has effective marketing!  Because, in the end, that is one of the things that counts!

IF they want to tie the trailer to Wrath of the Titans, I can actually see nothing coming about until sometime during the week of the 30th. But as always, we shall see...

That is a very good possibility, but I hope they will decide to launch something on the Internet before then...  even if it's just the website. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
There is an alleged hollywood test screening of the movie this Tuesday. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/board/thread/196037757

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, we knew they were coming sooner or later, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

And I'm not the least bit surprised about the age range either. As I've said many times, the entertainment industry doesn't care what we (meaning 50-year-olds, those pushing 50, and those older than 50) think. We're certainly not the target audience for the film.

Thanks for the link.  [snow_smiley]

60 days 12 hours 2 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I guess this means more editing will be done based on the audience's feedback of the entire movie. That may then push back the trailers or not.
Well our age group has more spending power but I can see why they would would want the younger demographic for the movie.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I guess this means more editing will be done based on the audience's feedback of the entire movie. That may then push back the trailers or not.

It probably wouldn't affect the trailers because trailers can sometimes contain glimpses of scenes that don't end up in the finished film -or even just voiceover snippets of dialogue.

Well our age group has more spending power but I can see why they would would want the younger demographic for the movie.

Ignoring that we have more spending power does seem counterintuitive. But the thinking is that we're too set in our ways to be able to be influenced by advertising/marketing. We'll stick with the products we already like and the types of films that already appeal to us. And while I could argue with that in certain situations, I do have to admit that, as I said, no amount of marketing would get me into a theater to see John Carter[snow_wink]

60 days 10 hours 46 minutes 55 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
There is an alleged hollywood test screening of the movie this Tuesday. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/board/thread/196037757

This is true.  A member of our local DS fan club had several passes that he was unable to use because of the age restrictions.  He was kind enough to give one of the passes to me.  The ticket actually says that the screening is for people ages 14-49 and will admit the bearer plus one guest.  I would rather see this opportunity go to somebody who actually wants to watch the movie.   If you can be in the L.A. area on Tuesday, please send me a PM.

ProfStokes

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Amanda, if this means you are going to the screening, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Perhaps there can be an appropriately tagged thread for reviews of preview screenings (and, eventually, regular screenings).  You could be the first person here to review the completed film.

One reason why I'd like to read whatever you have the energy and interest to set down is the possibility of last minute edits based upon the response to the screening you attend and others like it.

Thanks, Steve

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is odd...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=393094844051216&set=o.190716234316441&type=1&theater

Foremost because there are a couple of glaring typos in the description, which makes me question it.  Secondly because it is described as both a "comedy" and a "gothic horror tale."  We know where the latter part of the description came from, but what about the first part?

Oddly enough, I was able to confirm everything except the description of the event.

Here is what I was able to get:

Dark Shadows
AMC Burbank 16
125 Palm Ave.
Burbank
California 91502
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
At 07:00 PM
Please arrive no later than: 6:00 PM
Note: Seating is first come, first serve.This is a private event and we reserve the right to admit or refuse admittance to anyone at anytime.

That is why I am very curious to know about the description.  Where did the first part come from?  Who wrote it?  It's important to me because it begs the question, "Is the film indeed going to be considered a comedy?"  Is this how they plan to market it?  Like I said, I have problems with that description because of the errors, so who knows where it came from...  But it is definitely the most interesting thing to come out of this test screening.   

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The synopsis is odd to say the least. Though not because of the comedy part or the typos, but because it says the plot centers on Barnabas "and his run ins with various monsters, witches, werewolves and ghosts." That may be a generic description suitable for the original series - but not for the film.  [snow_undecided]

59 days 21 hours 40 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!