Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720801 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I see now that Jonny Lee Miller has joined HBC as being listed as "rumored" on IMDb. Um, both were listed in the WB Press Release. It doesn't get any more official than that. Why the hell is even one of them being listed as rumored, much less both?  [ghost_rolleyes]  Whoever handles the IMDb page for DS is strangely out of touch - especially when one considers that the plot synopsis that was also a part of the WB Press Release has also been added on IMDb.  [ghost_huh]

But on a much more interesting front, I just saw where Krysia Whitty, who is working on the Depp/DS film as a props buyer/researcher, tweeted this today:

kr_shhh
Massive respect for editors and sound mixers after seeing rushes yesterday. Post prod so amazeballs!
7 hours ago

If only we had the vaguest idea of what sorts of scenes she's complimenting...

338 days 4 hours 52 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
But on a much more interesting front, I just saw where Krysia Whitty, who is working on the Depp/DS film as a props buyer/researcher, tweeted this today:

kr_shhh
Massive respect for editors and sound mixers after seeing rushes yesterday. Post prod so amazeballs!
7 hours ago

If only we had the vaguest idea of what sorts of scenes she's complimenting...

Because it's talking about rushes--which generally come before editors and sound mixers get their hands on the footage, I'm not sure that Krysia was necessarily complimenting a scene.  Instead of referring to post production work being done on Dark Shadows specifically, "so amazeballs" might be describing in general how Krysia feels that post prod deals with raw footage.  In other words, maybe the tweeter was trying to say something along the lines of "Gee, I didn't realize how crappy stuff can look when it isn't edited and the sound isn't fixed.  If this is what rushes typically look like, post prod must be able to work magic!"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Of course what you're saying is true, KMR. And my phrasing definitely didn't convey what I was thinking in my mind because what I was thinking was that she was complimenting them for what they were going to do with the scenes - but I see that what I wrote definitely came across as her complimenting them for what they had done with the scenes, which would have obviously been nothing at that point. And I'm sorry for the confusion. However, the fact that they hadn't done anything yet makes it all the more intriguing as to what sorts of scenes she was talking about.  [ghost_wink]  And that's what I wish we had the vaguest idea of.

Hopefully that's clearer.  [ghost_smiley]

(And while we're on the point of being clear, am I the only one who sometimes wishes the people who use Twitter would actually speak in English (well, those who tweet in English, that is  [ghost_wink]) more than they do? I most certainly don't mind anyone using things like "u" for "you" or "ur" for "you are" or "4" for "for" or something like an "8" to abbreviate a sound - all of that is easily decipherable. But when they start making up their own words - especially words whose meanings seem to evolve with each successive tweet they use them in...  [ghost_blink])

338 days 3 hours 12 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I know exactly what you mean, MB!  In fact, I looked up "amazeballs" and saw that it's a term that apparently Perez Hilton is trying to get into common usage.

Oh, how I wish I could see some of those rushes!  I'm still really, really nervous about this whole project, hoping against hope that they will get the tone just right.  They have a top-notch cast and crew, and it's clear they're putting a lot of money and energy into this production--I just hope that Johnny's love for the show is pretty much the same kind of love that we here on this board have for it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I looked up "amazeballs" and saw that it's a term that apparently Perez Hilton is trying to get into common usage.

Great - just what we need.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Oh, how I wish I could see some of those rushes!

Indeed!  [ghost_wink]

And speaking of what's happening at the studio, apparently Seth Grahame-Smith is(was) there today (though it's a bit odd that his partner was the one that tweeted about it and not Grahame-Smith himself):

DavidKatzenberg
Back to Pinewood with @sethgs & @KatzSmithProds! #DarkShadows
7 hours ago

(They may have also been there yesterday. There was a tweet about going back to set with Grahame-Smith and a different tweet that simply mentioned Pinewood. And they may have also been there on the 6th because there were separate tweets about having to get up early and being on the way to "witness the incredible." But none of them refer to DS directly.

Also, apparently they've been in London since the 5th. Though they seem to have initially come for the Kung Fu Panda 2 premiere that night.)

Presumably Chloe Moretz was also at the studio today because she was complaining about getting up at 5am.

337 days 12 hours 23 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
One more picture of the Collinwood set: Dark Shadows Film Set

Pretty much the same progress as yesterday. Not much new.
(Well, unless you call some photos of the Robin Hood set, which is also in Bourne Woods, new. Which they are. Just not exactly the type of new I suspect most of us would be looking for.  [ghost_cheesy])

But anyway, all photos are appreciated.  [ghost_smiley]  And here are the photographer's series of tweets, responses, and replies regarding the Collinwood set:

sjp_me
Is going #johnny #depp spotting in #bournewoods
7 hours ago

sjp_me
Is at #darkshadows set in #bournewoods hoping for #johnny depp to arrive!
5 hours ago

sjp_me
have been to #bournewoods to the #darkshadows film set, no sign of #Johnny depp or of any filming activity yet http://twitpic.com/58suqe
3 hours ago

sjp_me
@f1_lou @Saye_Photo the set in the #Bourne woods is huge you cant miss it, no sign of filming yet though!
3 hours ago

f1_lou lou
@sjp_me we're very excited! do let us know if you see any sign of filming :) wish i hadnt left farnham already, but i'll come back for JD :)
3 hours ago

sjp_me
@f1_lou will keep updating on here the sets not finished yet and there were no signs of much life yet!
3 hours ago

f1_lou
@sjp_me hehehe look forward to it!! ohh it's too much excitement for lil' old Farnham :)
3 hours ago

jamescnicholls
Looks like the robin hood one again to men ;) RT @sjp_me: have been to #bournewoods to the #darkshadows film (cont) http://tl.gd/b02fj5
3 hours ago

sjp_me
@jamescnicholls its in the same spot just facing a different way
2 hours ago

jamescnicholls
@sjp_me they should have leased the old one. One evil owner, minor battle damage.
2 hours ago

337 days 4 hours 33 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
^^^ Seems a little optimistic to think the filming would start already on those sets when they're in that condition  [ghost_grin]   (That said, they are coming along quickly!)

Anyway, Happy 48th Birthday to Mr. Johnny Depp!  I'm sure the poor guy will be filming as usual- he usually seems to have to work on his birthday  [ghost_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Seems a little optimistic to think the filming would start already on those sets when they're in that condition  [ghost_grin]

No kidding! But I suspect that they probably hadn't seen any of the photos of the set - they'd simply heard that there was one in Bourne Woods and they were hoping the film was already shooting there.

That said, they are coming along quickly!

Yes, I can't wait to see what the set will look like once it's been completely built and dressed. And I really can't wait to see what Collinwood as a whole will look like. But as Cousin_Barnabas says, we might not get to see that until we see the film. Though I still have hopes it might be before then...

Changing reels, apparently Katzenberg and Grahame-Smith were(are) at the studio again today - and Grahame-Smith actually tweeted as much himself. Should we be honored?  [ghost_wink]

sethgs
Back to @PinewoodStudios for more #DarkShadows.
7 hours ago

DavidKatzenberg
Last day visiting @PinewoodStudios. Take away latte time! #DarkShadows
7 hours ago

PinewoodStudios
@sethgs @DavidKatzenberg Hope everything is going well on #DarkShadows. Great to have you at the studios.
7 hours ago

Too bad Katzenberg, who seems to be obsessed with posting Instagram photos, hasn't posted any photos of their trips to the studio.  [ghost_sad]

336 days 12 hours 1 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
I'm really glad to see they're going to the trouble of actually building the house facade.  And, based on the pics, it looks like it might be close in appearance to the Seaview/Carey Mansion!  Hope so! 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
FWIW, Thomas McDonell, who I "like" on Facebook, has posted the following:

----

Thomas McDonell
On set of 'Dark Shadows'. I love my job!

----

I'm not 100% he's verified to be himself, but if so it's interesting because I didn't think he was going to film until near the end.  Unless he's just visiting or having costume fittings or something, which is possible.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Here's a brief interview with Helena Bonham Carter, with a brief bit about DS at the end:

Helena Bonham Carter Talks "Toast," Perfumes, and Hypnotizing Johnny Depp

"I get to hypnotize Johnny [Depp] and do all sorts of things to him."   LOL, I wonder if she'll use that groovy pendant we all know!  No comment on the "all sorts of things" remark, other than that I am enjoying imagining what they might be  [ghost_wink] 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Unless he's just visiting or having costume fittings or something, which is possible.

Very possible.

"I get to hypnotize Johnny [Depp] and do all sorts of things to him."   LOL, I wonder if she'll use that groovy pendant we all know!

We can only hope.  [ghost_wink]  Interesting, though, because I don't think Julia ever hypnotized Barnabas in any other version of DS. She hypnotized plenty of other characters - but not Barn...

No comment on the "all sorts of things" remark, other than that I am enjoying imagining what they might be  [ghost_wink]

Indeed!  [naughty]

Thanks for sharing the info, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

335 days 1 hours 29 minutes 14 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
I don't think there will be much more info about filming DS for awhile. Unless someone is actually camped out at the site in the woods, how will we actually know when one or more of the actors arrives at the set?  I haven't seen any workers actually working on the mansion.  Pictures will have to be taken by long-range cameras, eh?  The cars will be brought in first I presume.  Will Roger be driving a Shelby? The pics of the outside of the mansion make it appear to be in good shape and not falling down from what I can tell. But, it's probably to early to tell.  However, it was built to last afterall. Appearances needed to be maintained in front of the good people of Collinsport.  Since no news was forthcoming I decided to read back to the beginning of this topic.  I revisted the pics of Collinwood, the cemetary and the boat and quite interesting speculation and quotes.  It seems incredible that it's already been a month since we first heard of the official release date! There is an area of England that comes to mind as being kind of raw and windswept but also quite beautiful. It's NW of London in the Yorkshire Dales(?) area.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Once filming starts at the Collinwood set, word will definitely get out, and I would be shocked if the paparazzi doesn't descend en masse. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they climb trees and equip their cameras with the latest in telephoto lenses to get the best shots possible.  [ghost_wink]

335 days 0 hours 37 minutes 44 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I was away from my computer for most of the day today and I missed this tweet from Seth Grahame-Smith:

sethgs
Amazing week on the set of #DarkShadows. So excited to see it coming together brilliantly at @PinewoodStudios. Back to LA we go.
14 hours ago

Sounds like we're missing out on a lot of exciting stuff. But one day we'll hear about it...

David Katzenberg also tweeted this:

DavidKatzenberg
Travel day. It's been fun London. Missing #DarkShadows already.
16 hours ago

And I wondered if Chloe Moretz was having to do school work while working on the film. I guess this answers my question:

ChloeGMoretz
p.s. just finished school for the whole year :) not sucha bad day after all...
13 hours ago

(The part about it being a bad day refers to her Facebook page being shut down. I suppose Facebook thought it was being run by an imposter...)

334 days 23 hours 49 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!