Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716883 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I completely agree, michael c.  I am very interested in seeing more images of Angelique, because this outfit just doesn't give the right vibe.  I'd like some Angelique Rumson or PT Angelique action in the new movie...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I have no idea if her hair and jewelry are period appropriate, but the photo of Angelique is the one I immediately liked the most when I first saw them. It's quite nice to see her not wearing a suit and looking glamorous. And original series Ang often looked quite glamorous during the Leviathans period, so perhaps on occasion the film could be going for more of that sort of vibe. Or perhaps not. As I said, the photos may have been taken specifically for Vanity Fair, so they may not be an exact reflection of what the characters look like in the film. Though we shall see...

69 days 22 hours 38 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I love all the pictures. I have to say that the Angelique one is lacking as well.  However, I feel we may be getting a more "FROM TYCOON TO LACKY OH HOW THE MIGHTY ARE FALLEN" Angelique in this film.  Since we can't see all of the dress I will reserve judgment for later...I love Julia's look and Michelle looks regal! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Having these pictures in Vanity Fair is a very smart move. They will be seen by people who have never heard of Horror Hound.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
what i'm wondering (again) is where is heathcote in all of this...

the three ladies pictured alongside depp seem to be being promoted as the film's "stars". i get it.

still victoria/josette is the "heroine" of the story. they don't seem to be promoting her in the same way. [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: the HorrorHound interview. This is what the author had to say when he interviewed TB and if TB was aware of the fans reaction to what had been released by the studio.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/board/thread/195523582?d=195582575&p=1#195582575

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised that Burton isn't really aware of what's happening online because he's said in the past that he doesn't pay attention to it. HBC has said that she tried for the longest time to get him on Twitter - though when he finally did create an account, it wasn't long before he deleted it without ever really using it.

69 days 11 hours 55 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I just wanted to give the article a bit more context. I think by now TB has heard about the fans reactions and from the studio.

There is a new interview by KLS about the movie and her book. It's a longer interview than the other ones we have seen. http://johnnydeppreads.com/index.php?s=4c4e3fe7ebfb6462b14711e322602374&showtopic=10789&st=0&#entry8414702

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Oh damn,. I just realized it was the April and not the March issue.

The reason some people have seen the April issue is because Vanity Fair comes out in NYC and LA a few days before it comes out in the rest of the country. I don't think it will hit newsstands elsewhere until this coming Tuesday.

69 days 11 hours 45 minutes 45 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I just wanted to give the article a bit more context.

Oh, I know that - and thanks for sharing the link.  [snow_smiley]

I think by now TB has heard about the fans reactions

Quite possibly. Though the point I was trying to make was that he probably doesn't care what's being said online. He's said as much more than once. Though I don't think he means that in any sort of a harsh way. So many untruths are said and so much foolishness happens online that it's often very easy to understand why many celebrities just consider everything that happens online as something they don't want to know anything about it.

As for the KLS interview, well, what can you say when once again she injects herself into the DS film's development process and she talks about Josette as if she was never mentioned on the original show until the day she stepped out of the portrait (speaking of which they had no idea back then that Josette had jumped while trying to escape a vampire because they hadn't even dreamed up the idea of incorporating a vampire into the show yet). But at least she didn't repeat the hangers story again. We can at least be thankful for small favors. [snow_cheesy]

But that being said, thanks, jimbo, for posting the link.  [snow_smiley]

And another very important point: if anyone wants to post about what's learned in Return to Collinwood regarding the original stars' cameos, please do so in the "Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Spoilers" topic.

69 days 11 hours 12 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Found this scan of the new Julia photo (which shows much more of her dress than the previous scans) via the JOHNNYDEPPZONE Web site:

http://fastpic.ru/view/29/2012/0302/079546f108f20b133fb65ff5bfeff8fb.jpg.html

And considering the other photos on the page, I have no idea what type of Russian Web site it is. But then, all we care about is the HBC photo.  [snow_wink]

And considering that the Julia photo shows more than we were led to believe at first, chances are so do the Liz and Angelique photos. Though I have yet to come across scans of those...

69 days 8 hours 46 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Definitely not something off the rack at Ohrbach's! [snow_rolleyes] [snow_silly]
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just saw that the DS News blog is reporting that Empire Magazine is predicting that the DS will pull in $60 million for its opening weekend in the US:

Empire Predicts Dark Shadows Movie Box Office

I would love that, but I don't know. Given the current state of the US box office this year where no film has yet even reached $30 million in its opening weekend, $60 million seems like an overly optimistic prediction. Honestly, based on what's currently going on, I'd be thrilled with a $20 million US opening. But like so many things with the DS film, we shall see...

One thing in the article that could be on target, though, is the prediction that DS will have a worldwide gross of $310 million. But again, we shall see...

69 days 8 hours 31 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I saw the Vanity Fair issue last night at Costco, and I was going to buy it, but before putting it into my shopping cart I looked up the article.  There's hardly anything there at all.  If you've seen the pictures here on the web, you've pretty much got the whole article.  There's just some fluff text that doesn't really say anything.

Now, the Fangoria article is another story!  (Although I was quite shocked at how much the price has jumped (no--LEAPED) since I last bought an issue, I'm still glad I bought it because there will be other articles I'll enjoy reading.)  Anyway, the interview with Seth is so very, very, very reassuring.  It really does confirm (to me, at least) that the recent test trailer was truly a test--Dark Shadows is something so unique, so unusual, that marketing it is going to be a real challenge for Warner Bros.  But it sounds like Depp and Burton really do want to create something that fits the basic concept of "Dark Shadows".

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Now, the Fangoria article is another story! ... the interview with Seth is so very, very, very reassuring ... it sounds like Depp and Burton really do want to create something that fits the basic concept of "Dark Shadows".

That's definitely what I came away with, too.  [snow_smiley]  I particularly liked how Grahame-Smith said it was important to really understand the central themes that persisted throughout the series.

I was quite shocked at how much the price has jumped (no--LEAPED) since I last bought an issue

I can't say I was as surprised by the price - though I have no idea when the last time was that you bought an issue.  [snow_wink]  But the last time I bought one was issue #239 back in January of '05 when they had an article about the '04 pilot - and back then the prices was already $7.99 - and that was 7 years ago.

69 days 8 hours 16 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!