Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717205 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Sounds to me as if we don't have a trailer simply because this is how Tim Burton works.  And presumably whatever studio signs him on has to agree to a contract that gives him ironclad control over matters that are usually handled by committees of suits.

Kind of amazing that he can get away with stuff such as this in the current day and age.  Last of the mavericks?

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
so if i'm understanding this correctly the film is just being scored now?

it's being released in 3 months. isn't that cutting it close? [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Wasn't Tim also working down to the last minute on Alice in Wonderland as well? I seem to recall that getting scored mere months before the release as well.

But I took it to mean that the score is already written, it's just being recorded now.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is correct.  The score is going to be recorded in a few days.

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I have 76 replies and 8 pages for the "I just saw the trailer" thread.   [snow_huh]

There are nine pages of comments on IMDB; the person who saw it is giving a lot of detail. I believe he's on the level.

Everyone's been calling this a comedy from script to post-production. I think it's time to make peace with that. Burton and Depp wanted to play in the world of Dark Shadows, but have no slavish loyalty to it. To hardcore fans it will likely play as an over the top spoof.

Totally agree that WB is scratching their heads on how to market the film; I called that out a few weeks ago: http://badassdigest.com/2012/01/20/is-barnabas-collins-stalling-in-this-new-dark-shadows-pic/
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
It's also worth noting that WB is dropping this one week after The Avengers. Not a very confident move. They're hoping for second place, and that's likely been the case for some time. 

None of this is meant to reflect on whether the FILM is any good, but it does indicate what the studio thinks the financial prospects of the property are.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Phil for the article.

General comment. Not a shocker but I'm still not buying into the argument that the reason the trailer has not been released is based on the fact that the score has not been completely finished. The legendary composer can't score a 30 second trailer? I am still hoping for a serious oriented gothic horror movie. I am relying on Depp's previous comments pertaining to his respect for the classic vampires.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Actually, while many of the people directly associated with the film have used the word "funny," none have used the word "comedy" - at least not on its own. Eva Green has described the film as a "black comedy" - but as its definition illustrates, that's very different from a comedy.  [snow_wink]  But as with all things with this film, time will tell...

As far as what Warner Brothers seems to think the film's financial prospects are, that would seem to have been made clear in the first article I linked to in reply #2094. However, short of a major miracle, I do agree that DS is likely to come in second at best its opening weekend. I've been saying that for months already. Though I've also said that coming in second isn't the end of the world and it's the long haul that really counts.  [snow_smiley]

And as for the IMDb topic, I'm now getting the 9 pages. Who knows.  [snow_huh]

87 days 11 hours 0 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
General comment. Not a shocker but I'm still not buying into the argument that the reason the trailer has not been released is based on the fact that the score has not been completely finished. The legendary composer can't score a 30 second trailer?

Possibly the majority of trailers use scores from other films. The "X-Men: First Class" score keeps turning up in trailers, as does the score for "The Fountain." For years the score from "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" was used in movie trailers (like the one for Forrest Gump!)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Some film scores can be rented and plugged into trailers for other films. Happens all the time.

I hope the DS music will be good. From what I've experienced seeeing his other movies, Danny Elfman supplies a few themes that someone else then orchestrates, and a third person actually conducts the orchestra.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
So far there is no reference to Bob Cobert at the IMDb website for the DS movie. If any of his scores are utilized in the new movie I assume his name will be listed. Hopefully Mr. Elfman will use the iconic opening theme. WB has a strange way of creating positive buzz for the movie. The longer there is no trailer for the movie the longer speculation about how good the movie actually is going to increase.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm still not buying into the argument that the reason the trailer has not been released is based on the fact that the score has not been completely finished.

The score has no bearing on the trailer... unless there was a particular theme they wanted to include in the trailer and it needs to be recorded...   [snow_wink]  But, in all likelihood, as Phil pointed out, the trailer will use another score or some bit of popular music. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
CB I think we are in agreement??? I am surprised that a teaser poster hasn't come out. I wonder what is holding that back.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
We agree.  One possibility to consider is that Warners wants the most bang for its buck, and instead of building anticipation early on, it will come out with a full-on offensive in the weeks leading up to The Avengers in attempt to conjure up the audience it wants and sway them away from a second-week Avengers viewing. 

Avengers and Shadows should draw two completely different audiences, but there are some crossovers in the target.  If Warners can seal the deal with the crossovers, it will make more money opening week. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Interesting development...

Despite whatever that particular trailer may have led on, Zanuck and Burton have gone on record stating that Shadows is a horror film, and that if there are comedic elements, they are a result of the transition of Barnabas Collins to his new surroundings in 1972. 

This should put everyone's minds at ease... as I think the person who got this information for us is reliable.