Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716755 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (**HUGE NEWS** Reply #35) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »
And speaking of Chloe, I wonder if she said anything about DS as part of her participation in the online relaunch of Cliche Magazine yesterday. She probably didn't because I haven't seen anything online. And I honestly have no idea what the event was like because I didn't bother to check it out. But there's always a possibility...

Apparently there was really no possibility because all she did was introduce singer Nick Franger. Video can be seen right here:

Chloe Moretz Presents Nick Franger for Cliché Magazine, posted by Cliché on Jun 2, 2011

I wonder if the intro was done PreWWJD or PostWWJD?  [ghost_wink]

343 days 6 hours 21 minutes 7 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »
I've had several requests from people who can't access Variety's Web site to post the text of the Technicolor article from the other day, so here it is:

Technology News

Posted: Tue., May. 31, 2011, 4:00am PT

Technicolor taps Potter, 'Rings' vet
Lab and post giant hires Peter Doyle
By David S. Cohen

In a move Technicolor says signals a strategic shift in the way it handles color grading and dailies, the lab and post giant has hired digital intermediate colorist Peter Doyle.

Doyle's credits include the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, the final six Harry Potter pics, and several films for Tim Burton. He is already at work on his first show for Technicolor: Burton's "Dark Shadows," shooting at Pinewood Studios in Blighty.

Technicolor Creative Services prexy Claude Gagnon told Variety, "We're going to be more and more involved upstream in the process of doing color correction, meaning during dailies." Doyle likes to be involved in color grading from dailies onward. Technicolor will encourage all its colorists to get involved that early, and Doyle will help oversee that transition.

Doyle explained, "What I like to do is work with the director and d.p. and basically design looks. That can have an enormous influence on the way a d.p. goes about shooting a film down to some technical issues, like how do they actually expose the neg, lighting ratios and so forth. Building that look as part of the production process, where you're working with the d.p. and the conceptual drawings and the costume design and the production design, adds, I think, an enormous amount."

After reading this article I'm really curious to see how the look of the Depp/DS film will turn out...

343 days 1 hour 3 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2011, 04:24:14 AM »
There was just a discussion on one of my Depp forums concerning the use of color in DS.  It started when someone said they wished the film would be in black and white, like Ed Wood.  Someone mentioned that it seems like most of Tim Burton's films fall into one of two categories:  either very desaturated and muted colors (Sleepy Hollow), or very emphasized, almost over-bright colors (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).  They wondered which DS would be and thought, probably the muted colors (and dark shadows, lol!).  But maybe with a generous use of bright red blood, as was done for Sweeney Todd.  But then I was thinking of all of those groovy mod clothing styles that Angelique and Dr. Hoffman and the others could wear and said that I hope there will be at least some fun use of color!  So it'll be interesting to see how the film ends up looking.  Thanks for the interesting article, MB!

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2011, 06:22:57 AM »
Ohhhh...what an interesting thought!   [ghost_smiley]  Especially since really strong, bright colors make the unsaturated bits all the more noticeable!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2011, 06:40:49 AM »
Madscntst, I was just thinking about this, and I am not entirely sure which way it should go...  Bright colors makes sense for the time period, but the muted colors make sense for the theme.  Perhaps we will actually see a nice balance between the two...  It would be interesting.  Would this give us something akin to a normal looking film?   [ghost_tongue2]

Considering the time period, I am really leaning towards bright colors.  But, maybe scenes on the estate will be muted.  Or it could be that the scenery is very muted while the characters are very bright and vivid. 

Someone once described DARK SHADOWS to me calling it a 'bad dream'.  This is not something I really agree with, but I can sort of see where this person was coming from.  And it might be how Burton is approaching it.  So, think of what a bad dream would look like translated to the screen. 

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »
Considering the time period, I am really leaning towards bright colors.  But, maybe scenes on the estate will be muted.  Or it could be that the scenery is very muted while the characters are very bright and vivid. 

Yes!  Or maybe the "normal" scenes, with the everyday family goings-on, especially during the day, could be very bright and vivid, whereas after sundown, out comes Barnabas and everything suddenly gets very shadowy and gloomy.  Or is that too cliche?  [ghost_wink]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2011, 03:13:30 PM »
Here is a boat being used as a prop for DS- maybe the Collins fishing industry has seen better days  [ghost_wink]  (Or is this the as-yet uncast Joe Haskell's boat, perhaps??)

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/9062556.Mersea___s_famous_boat_sold_to_Pinewood_Studios/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2011, 03:52:51 PM »
rats, I didn't read that far back to see that it was already posted.. [ghost_sad]

No problem, Sara - I just removed it. And it's always better to see news posted again rather than not at all.  [ghost_smiley]

342 days 13 hours 7 minutes 9 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2011, 03:57:11 PM »
Here is a boat being used as a prop for DS- maybe the Collins fishing industry has seen better days  [ghost_wink]  (Or is this the as-yet uncast Joe Haskell's boat, perhaps??)

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how it fits into things. And hopefully there isn't going to be much of an uproar from those who felt the boat should have stayed where it was. But maybe the production will give it back when they're done...

Thanks for posting the link, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

342 days 13 hours 2 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2011, 04:24:11 PM »
I've been checking every day since it started shooting, and Pinewood has finally put up a page about DS on their Web site:

Dark Shadows

Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything we don't already know. And more unfortunately, they've used a photo from the daytime series instead of the current production. But it's a start - and both are likely to change eventually because I've noticed that the sections for the other films in production at Pinewood have been evolving over time...

Now if only GK Films would put something up about DS on their Web site...

Also, an article on Warner Bros. Web site about them gearing up for Comic Con 2011 has me thinking: is it too early to wonder if there might be any sort of presentation about the Depp/DS film? Although, they'll still be shooting when Comic Con takes place July 21-24...

342 days 12 hours 35 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
This is interesting: here's a Web site that has a poll as to whether or not you'll see the Depp/DS film even though it's not going to be in 3D. Results so far: Yes - 80%, No - 20% (Though in the comments section it seems like JCLadybug voted "No" when she should have voted "Yes".  [ghost_huh])

342 days 12 hours 5 minutes 41 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 04, 2011, 01:24:55 AM »
I did see the article about the boat being purchased by Pinewood Studios.    Since its a fishing boat, I'm hoping that we will have a scene with Roger at the Cannery, no?   [ghost_shocked]  I don't think any scenes at the Cannery were shot after Barnabas showed up. But the idea of a fishing vessel (even if it is stuck in the sand) is very interesting!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 04, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »
That boat is very cool.  This really is one very inventive production team!

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 04, 2011, 12:49:54 PM »
hmmm...

the boat is something of a curiosity. i'm not sure how a 1940's fishing vessel will fit into things unless it's just a backdrop or contributing to the general "atmosphere" of collinsport.

with a fourteen year old carolyn and(at least as of yet)no maggie i'm not sure how joe haskell would be worked into the plot in a major way. i also doubt much of the action will be focused on the cannery. interesting.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 04, 2011, 01:50:20 PM »
b.t.w. perez hilton...who calls the original series "it's own level of bizarre" has posted the recent tim burton interview on the board today.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.