Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717231 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks Cousin_Barnabas. I wonder why it took so long for Lionsgate to make the change. I think this helps both movies and WB is probably happy with this move. OK where is this trailer? I have no idea what WB's marketing strategy is for this movie.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Do you remember the stir caused by Warners when they attached TDKR preview to the MI film, a non-Warners release?

Maybe I missed that. Or if I saw it, maybe I didn't really pay it all that much attention because I honestly have no memory of it. About the only thing I remember about one of TDKR trailers is how fans complained that they couldn't understand what the character Bain said in it so Warner Brothers tweaked it so they could hear it better. And at the time I remember musing that they should have been grateful that they even had a trailer.  [snow_wink]  But, of course, it's all relative - and I'm sure they weren't even paying attention to the fact that DS didn't (and still doesn't) have any.

On the  film's front we can actually be happy that it didn't make a list in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly - but we can perhaps be not so happy that it did place elsewhere.

As for the possibly not so happy, Depp/Barn's photo (simply his head from the recent Barn/Liz photo) is pinned to the fifth ring of this week's The Bullseye with the caption: "As Barnabas Collins in Dark Shadows, Johnny Depp with have the sharpest fingers since Edward Scissorhands and the worst haircut since Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." Though the whole point of The Bullseye is to poke fun at such things. And at least he did place on the bullseye (and not even on the last ring). And as anyone familiar with that feature of EW knows, there are generally at least four other things that don't even hit the bullseye. Some weeks they're not even on the same page!

But on the plus side, DS didn't make EW's list for Hollywood's BIggest Gambles for this year. For varying reasons, that article includes John Carter, Men In Black 3, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Great Gatsby, Battleship, Rock Of Ages, The Bourne Legacy, Mirror Mirror/Snow White & The Huntsman, and Prometheus.

104 days 11 hours 13 minutes 10 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
over on FB kathy cody is stirring up the pot with some highly dubious photos presented as "stills" from the movie. [snow_rolleyes]

one being a very 1990's looking shot of a long-haired depp supposedly "in character" that is clearly photoshopped. another a shot of a fanged alice cooper. someone posted a link to the movie the still actually comes from...an upcoming film called "suck"... but it hasn't stopped the rumor mill from speculating as to why copper is a vampire in DS. [snow_rolleyes]

needless to say there were even those who said that they preferred the long-haired "interview with a vampire" era depp to the take on barnabas we're actually getting.

and the incessant complaints about how pale depp is are growing too wearying for words. [snow_rolleyes]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's extremely sad to say, but combining this latest behavior with her apparent refusal a few months back to accept that words were put in Helena Bonham Carter's mouth that she clearly had never said, it would seem as if Ms. Cody hasn't matured beyond the age of 12.  [snow_undecided]

I would honestly suspect that it isn't even the real Kathleen Cody but actually some troll pretending to be her if it wasn't for the fact that so many people feel completely confident that it really is her...

103 days 11 hours 36 minutes 37 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
i'd generally be inclined to think it was an imposter as well...

but it does appear to actually be cody. i'm not sure why i'm confident in that but i am. [snow_undecided]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I wasn't able to find the photos in question, but I don't think I ever saved a link to her DS group- I only found her page as an actor/director, and other DS groups I know of don't seem to be the one.  Well, most of Johnny's photo shoots (and even candids, events, etc.) are very well known to the Depp fan community, and such things could never be passed off there, but it's a shame if anyone can get away with that in the DS community :(  I wonder why she is devoting time and effort into such negative pursuits?  (Unless as you say, it could possibly be an imposter, in which case I wonder why an imposter would devote time for that in addition to posing as someone else?  Uy.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
what i find astonishing is that our dusty old soap opera, and i mean that with great affection, is being turned into a very big budget, star studded affair and there are those who will nitpick and complain about it to death.

most old television shows get tossed into the  dustbin. and daytime soaps NEVER make it to the big screen. no one is spending 65 million dollars to send the recently cancelled 'as the world turns' to the multiplex. we have a great opportunity here.

who knows. it might be horrible and 4 months from now i might be eating my words but it just might be great.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's always fascinating as to which Web sites/links Google decides to actually send out alerts for and which they seem to only list if one checks out the "See all stories on this topic:" link in their alerts. One that I just came across by clicking that link, and one that I really wish they had sent out an alert for is this blog entry from last Saturday:

THE TRUTH ABOUT BARNABAS COLLINS

because more people should really see it because it lays out the evidence for how Depp's Barn is harkening back to the vampire looks of yore.

(And one can only wonder what the people on that Facebook group would think of what the blogger has to say. Though the sad thing is a lot of them would possibly dismiss him as not a "true" or "real" horror" fan even though it's clear that the opposite is the case.  [snow_undecided]  (And one also has to wonder if anyone over there on that group realizes that Gary Oldman's Dracula also had long fingernails?  [snow_wink]))

And while we're on the subject of other sites/links that can come up on those Google listings, oddly enough, a link to this article from Thursday also came up:

Hot young movie stars: Thomas McDonell

even though it has nothing to do with the release of the latest Depp/Barn photo - though it's obviously connected to the DS film.

103 days 10 hours 21 minutes 44 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
what i find astonishing is that our dusty old soap opera, and i mean that with great affection, is being turned into a very big budget, star studded affair and there are those who will nitpick and complain about it to death.

Another fascinating thing is there seems to be that type of fan in every fandom when it comes to remaking/reimagining a TV show/film. Instead of waiting to actually see how the finished product turns out, they begin tearing the new version to shreds from day one of its announcement. The phenomenon is seemingly unavoidable...

103 days 10 hours 7 minutes 57 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
2004, 2012.   [snow_cheesy]
Oh and by Saturday, I meant next Saturday.  But we'll be past the posts by that point anyway

Yes, we're already well past those posts. But it would be nice to think that a DS trailer will be released to theaters this coming Friday, particularly because -

103 days 9 hours 59 minutes 29 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

- now means that there are less than 15 full weeks until the film opens. Though something I didn't realize the other day when I posted about GK Films' tweet is that Guy Pearce's Lockout opens on April 20th, so the trailer for that film only came out just a few days over 12 weeks before its opening...

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
believe it or not ms.cody tried to give me a bit of flack when i called out her error about cooper.

it wasn't until she actually went to cooper's own website and saw the picture and film description there that she was satisfied.

that the people at this board know more about this film than an original series castmember who has first hand contact with jim pierson and is a guest the festival is very odd. she's really shooting blanks. [snow_huh]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Maybe she's just jealous she didn't get invited to the filming.   [snow_wink] [snow_cheesy]

IMO, Nancy Barrett, John Karlen, and a couple others are the only ones who deserved cameos in addition to Frid, Selby, Scott, and Parker. (And then there are those who have been out of the DS fandom for a while and those who have passed who deserved cameos as well,)   But, there is always the next film...   [snow_wink]

Yes, we're already well past those posts. But it would be nice to think that a DS trailer will be released to theaters this coming Friday,

I am hoping for something with Woman in Black, whether that be a poster or a trailer... even a teaser.  It would be too good of an opportunity to miss.

The only other possibilities would seem to be the second week of February or March with the only Warners releases...  And that March date is a little late for my tastes.   

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
She will kick (and has) kicked people off of her group for disagreeing with her or asking for something to back up claims she makes.  So tread carefully . . .

believe it or not ms.cody tried to give me a bit of flack when i called out her error about cooper.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow - quite possibly I overestimated when I said it seemed as if her development became arrested at 12. If that's her M.O., it would seem to have occurred at a much younger age.  [snow_undecided]

But getting back to the film, I was just glancing over the cast list on IMDb for the first time in months and noticed someone new:

Matt Tyzack   ...    Townsperson (uncredited)

There also seems to have been tons of behind the scenes personnel added, including someone as a "weather consultant". I have to confess that's a position I've never seen before. And considering the odd weather Collinsport generally has, one can only imagine what his duties were!  [snow_laugh]

103 days 2 hours 39 minutes 59 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
So, at least Warner Bros. has taken a web domain for the new DS movie and hopefully a trailer soon.

http://darkshadowsmovie.warnerbros.com/