Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720923 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's a shot of them in character.

Excellent! Thanks, Stuart.  [snow_smiley]

(Now watch - instead of arriving on Friday or even Saturday, my issue won't arrive until Tuesday because of the holiday. For some strange reason, that seems to happen so often when there's a Monday holiday - and especially when I'm really looking forward to an issue.  [snow_rolleyes])

119 days 9 hours 8 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It's come to my attention that the EW photo of Barnabas and Elizabeth has been posted in at least two places online. I hesitate to post the links or even to mention where because of copyright issues and the fact that the EW issue has not even hit newsstands yet. However, the two places I refer to are places that are frequently referred to here on the forum, so if you were to look around those places, you're quite likely to find the photo on your own.

Sorry to be so cryptic - but we do respect copyright issues here on the forum.  [snow_wink]

119 days 5 hours 50 minutes 0 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I've seen it and it does make me hopeful. I like it better than what has been shown so far. I also like what TB said about the movie in the MTV story. I feel better than I have in a long time about the movie.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
I've seen the photo.  It's the best one yet, and finally gives us a good look at Depp in the role of Barnabas.

Those who have yet to see it--I do not think you will be disappointed.

Although the angle and set-up are very different, it's reminiscent in atmosphere of the photo of Barnabas standing behind Liz from 1967 (the version of that still that is not doctored with extra fangs, etc.).

G.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
In reference to earlier posts regarding 'Mustang or Mustang Vest'...I think the correct wording goes something like this..'Mustang Bangs'. Makes sense as the bangs do remind of a mane on a running horse.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I've seen the photo.  It's the best one yet, and finally gives us a good look at Depp in the role of Barnabas.

Those who have yet to see it--I do not think you will be disappointed.

Is it just me, or does it look like they spent half the budget on the costumes? And that would certainly not be a bad thing because the outfits Depp and Pfieffer are wearing look amazing.  [thumb]

I wish EW had put the photo on their Web site like last time. But perhaps they learned from that last time that nothing stays exclusive once it's put online because the photo spread all over the Internet within a matter of hours.

And I just wonder how the person who's posted it got ahold of it so quickly because the EW issue shouldn't even be delivered to subscribers and stores until tomorrow...

119 days 2 hours 51 minutes 45 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton .Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
According to the iamrogue website: "but the actual scan here is courtesy of Johnny Depp Italia, a fansite for, you guessed it, Italian fans of Richard Greico".
There have been many comments comparing JD's appearance as Twilight like in many places.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
On Facebook several people are saying some hateful things, but not any of my friends; however, my thoughts are this.

MICHELLE looks amazing!! :) That outfit and she both look regal, retro yet updated. I love Michelle. She is a naturally beautiful actress who on top of that and most importantly is a AMAZING actress and fan of Dark Shadows.  I can't wait to see her interpretation of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard!

As for Barnabas, no one knows how he is going to look with a camera filter, lights etc. I think Johnny looks great and is just as painted as Jonathan circa 1970. If you don't think so I ask you to watch Barnabas after he was turned in vampire by The Leviathans. He was highlighted and contoured like mad in those episodes. So since this is in the 1972 it makes the movie evocative of his look in those days
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
There have been many comments comparing JD's appearance as Twilight like in many places.

Yeah, well, some people hear/read "vampire" and all they can think of is Twilight - regardless of whether they've seen the films or not. And usually they haven't.  [snow_rolleyes]

Honestly, I don't think Barn looks Twilight-like at all. And I actually like the Twilight films (well, most things about them), so I know enough about them to know what I'm talking about. Yes, he's pale. But Twilight hardly invented the pale vampire.

119 days 2 hours 14 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
On Facebook several people are saying some hateful things

Sadly, that's just par for the course over there. And if I was to hazard an opinion, I'd say half if not more of the motivation for saying such things is just to stir up trouble. The wise thing to do would probably be just to ignore most of what's said.

MICHELLE looks amazing!! :) That outfit and she both look regal, retro yet updated. I love Michelle. She is a naturally beautiful actress who on top of that and most importantly is a AMAZING actress and fan of Dark Shadows.  I can't wait to see her interpretation of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard!

Nor can I. And regal is definiteluy the word to describe her look in the photo.

I think Johnny looks great and is just as painted as Jonathan circa 1970. If you don't think so I ask you to watch Barnabas after he was turned in vampire by The Leviathans. He was highlighted and contoured like mad in those episodes. So since this is in the 1972 it makes the movie evocative of his look in those days

Exactly! And thankfully Depp's Barn doesn't have the Pepe Le Pu white streak in his hair!  [snow_wink]  [snow_rolleyes]

119 days 2 hours 6 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I have never seen any of the Twilight movies but can only report what some people are saying at the websites and at FB. Who knows what the finished product will look like as Taeylor Collins said. It just makes me want to see the trailer so badly.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I have never seen any of the Twilight movies but can only report what some people are saying at the websites and at FB.

Oh, I know that.  [snow_smiley]  I wasn't directing anything I said at you - I was directing it at the people making the comments.

Who knows what the finished product will look like as Taeylor Collins said.

I suspect that on film Depp's Barn will look very similar to the way he looks in the latest EW photo and the first EW photo. And I don't honestly see anything wrong with that.

It just makes me want to see the trailer so badly.

And one day - probably when we least expect it - we will see it. Though, as I said, we could die of anticipation before then.  [snow_wink]

119 days 1 hour 56 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Now, this I feel a bit less hesitant to post. GK Films just retweeted this a few minutes ago, and well, that sort of makes it official that it's OK to share:

slashfilmnews /Film Newsfeed by gkfilms
New ‘Dark Shadows’ Image and Details from Tim Burton http://bit.ly/wf2sJW
2 hours ago

18 days 23 hours 56 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
stunning. fierce.

depp clearly appears to be in eighteenth century costume. pfieffer less so but her ensemble appears dramatic. so i wonder if this image is not somehow tied into the rumored "costume party" sequence.

i'm not sure what "hateful" things anyone could intelligently come up with to say about this picture other than, yes, depp is pale. but we've known that's how he was going to appear for months so i can't see what's left to add to the subject.

granted most people are obviously not as plugged into this project as "we" are but over on FB i'm amazed at how many people are reacting to this picture and word of the film as if it's breaking news. fans of the show in fact. weird. [snow_huh]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
michael c, I guess that tells WB publicity something...   [snowball]

Anyway, yes, it is an amazing picture.  I can't stop looking at it.  It is gorgeous.  Depp and Pfeiffer are beautiful.  I just can't help but wonder what the heck Depp is doing/thinking/saying here.  They both have such odd facial expressions.  It seems as if Pfeiffer is asking herself why Barnabas ever let Alice Cooper perform at the party.   [snow_cheesy]

G, I never thought of that.  But you are right, it is VERY similar to the original Barna/Liz shot. 

As for the interview...  I don't think anything could have given me more confidence in Burton.  Sounds like this project is shaping up to be the best incarnation of Dark Shadows since the original show. 

And MB, that lightning in the cast pic is SOMETHING else! [firedevil]