Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716842 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
DS places on the following list of the Top 5 2012 movies most worthy of set-stalking and high anticipation:

Best Set-Stalking Of 2011

"Our excitement for “Dark Shadows” is at an all-time high, and it’ll get even higher when we finally see a trailer."

Gee, ya think?  [santa_wink]

148 days 10 hours 28 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Michelle Pfeiffer was a fan of the original show...

Thanks so much for posting the link to this video, Cousin_Barnabas.  [santa_smiley]  That's one show that I have not been recording regularly just in case something DS-related pops up, so I completely missed it. Michelle Pfeiffer has been promoting New Year's Eve on all sorts of entertainment shows in the past week or so, but Live with Kelly seems to be the only one on which she was asked about DS. And wouldn't you know that's the one I missed. But thanks to you, now we can all see it.  [santa_thumb]

148 days 10 hours 15 minutes 35 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
They just released the trailer for Expendables 2 and that movie is coming out next August! I hope we get a DS trailer in the next day or so. A belated thanks to Cousin_ Barnabas for the new DS production photo. A wonderful find.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
My theory about the trailer, such as it is:  I do not know whether the studios still have the habit of releasing mega blockbusters on the actual date of Xmas Day, but if they do, and the WB has one of those in the wings, the trailer may be showcased at that premiere.

I could of course be wrong... Burton is clearly treating this project with kid gloves... as would I, if I had been given a blank check to create my very own version of my all time favorite show!

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
You could be right Gothick. Just wondering if the studios have to ship the trailers to each theatre or is everything digital because I think word would have gotten out if it is the former (assuming the trailer hits on or about Christmas which is only 11 days away). Also wondering if the TPTB are having creative differences as to how the movie is going to be marketed. I am hoping we hear something regarding the trailer any minute.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It would be a bit ironic if we got a trailer when it was time for post # 1966 or 1972 to come around...  
 [8_2_77]

1772 or 1795 would also be acceptable.   [santa_wink]

So, I won't fret until we pass all of those thresholds.   It's my new coping strategy.  [8_2_81]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Apparently release dates have changed for some films.  It appears as if Battleship has moved back a week - probably good if it's hoping to draw from the Avengers audience.

Shadows is now competing with The Dictator (A Sasha Baron Cohen film, like Borat) which is probably not the audience Shadows is aiming for.   [santa_wink]  But, What to Expect When You're Expecting is also a release that weekend.  This one is going to appeal to women. 

The male audience will be split between Avengers and Dictator, methinks.  The Dictator could draw large numbers.  Adult women may give a boost to What to Expect.  And this is why the rating for Shadows is key.  If it's PG-13, familes, who are not going to the Avengers, will probably end up in Shadows.  The fact that it's Mother's Day weekend could help Shadows if there are a lot of moms who want to revisit their favorite old show. 

Any thoughts on this? 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The way I see things The Avengers (May 4th) is going to have legs no matter what DS is rated. I think Battleship (May 18) is going to be huge especially in the male category. Then you have MIB3 May 25th which I am guessing will be big but perhaps not as big as predicted. Now specifically for the week of DS' release (May 11th) I don't think The Dictator is going to be a huge hit but will most likely be male driven. I expect DS to dominate over The Dictator and What to Expect with the adult woman audience. I think the adult male audience will be better than expected for the DS movie no matter what DS is rated. But you do raise a good question asking where the people who saw The Avengers the week before will be flocking to which movie the next week.  I just think DS will dominate the box office that weekend no matter its rating. No matter how you look at the big picture, the competition is stiff. http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/release.php

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Battleship and What to Expect When You're Expecting trailers have just been released. Hopefully DS is next.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm still of the mind that I wouldn't be at all surprised if Marvel's The Avengers repeats at #1 for the weekend DS opens, which would mean the highest DS could place would be at #2.

As for What To Expect When You're Expecting, it's going to be really interesting to see how that does. In general comedies that are strongly female driven have not been doing well - Bridesmaids being an exception. And Cameron Diaz' movies have not been drawing like they once did. It may all come down to the sweet vs. raunch factor in the movie. I know nothing about the movie's plot. However, if it's more raunchy than sweet, the movie could potentially do well. But if it's more or all on the sweet side, it's anyone guess how it will do because a lot of those types of films have been practically DOA lately...

Also, a lot is going to depend on how DS is marketed, and in this case, how it's marketed to women. The interesting thing so far is that on the most anticipated lists that we've seen WTEWYE has been nowhere to be seen...

146 days 10 hours 19 minutes 11 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Battleship and What to Expect When You're Expecting trailers have just been released. Hopefully DS is next.

We should only be so lucky. But just as has worked out with posters, just because trailers have come out for several of the films that will be released around the same time that DS will be, it doesn't necessarily follow that the trailer for DS is any closer to being released.  [santa_cry]

IF Warner Brothers wanted to tie a DS trailer to one of their holiday releases, there are only two possibilities: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. However, ELaIC is only opening in limited release on Christmas Day so that it can qualify for Oscars (though given that it was just completely ignored by the Golden Globes, who knows what its chances for any nominations are?) - and its subject matter of a boy searching NYC for the lock that matches a mysterious key left behind by his father, who died in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 may not be any sort of fit for the same audience that DS would appeal to. So, that leaves SH: AGoS - and that opens today. So unless a trailer for DS has been released with it and we just have yet to hear, I would say there hasn't been a trailer released with it.

146 days 10 hours 4 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Not exactly what we are looking for right now but here is another poll from MTV. I am still waiting for its Friday DS article. http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/12/16/breaking-dawn-most-anticipated-movie-of-2012/

MB I think DS has a real good chance of beating The Avengers movie in its first week of release. I don't think you can rule out how hot the vampire genre is. And if we could get Twilight fans to show up.... As you said how the movie is marketed will be key.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Any poll where TDKR as DS are tied is a good poll.   [santa_grin]  Thanks for the link, jimbo.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, DS is not longer tied - but it is close to TDKR:

"The Hunger Games"  52.32%
"The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2"  36.93%
"The Dark Knight Rises"  2.57%
"The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"  2.26%
"Dark Shadows"  2.25%
"Snow White and the Huntsman"  1.97%
"The Avengers"  0.98%
"The Amazing Spider-Man"  0.51%
"Skyfall"  0.17%
"Prometheus"  0.05%

I have a distinct feeling that the majority of people voting in this poll are young women because The Hunger Games and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 are films that already have or whose book already has a huge young female following - whereas the male appeal films are getting a poor showing.

145 days 8 hours 1 minute 2 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1769 on: December 18, 2011, 01:03:58 AM »
What makes it okay is that it's discussed in her published biography.  [santa_smiley]

I figured as much Midnite; however, I always try to be aware and careful about the rules and regulations. I think it's a privilege to have somewhere to discuss DS drama free with great moderators and DS fans.  :)

Thank you very much though! :)

Loved the underwater Picture.  Thanks a lot guys!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/