Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720533 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1695 on: December 06, 2011, 09:30:07 PM »
Well, they were there for perhaps two days.

I realize KLS read the shooting script, but as has been stated several times, the completed film could look very different from that beginning point.

And KLS *always* seems to put the most positive spin possible on any situation... *biting tongue on sarcastic comment*

cheers, G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: December 06, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
But... What I want to know is how the comments she made to KLS and Lara jar with those ones she made in the interview.  She could have just talked about Tim's love for it, I suppose.  I'm not entirely sure, but I got the impression she was watching the OS series because she liked it, not for laughs.  

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: December 07, 2011, 05:02:38 AM »
Well, they were there for perhaps two days.

Quote from: Kathryn L Scott
]I just have to speak up!
Lara Parker (Angelique) and I (Josette duPres), who both play cameos in the new Dark Shadows film, are surprised by Helene Bonham-Carter's comments because they do not at all reflect our wonderful conversation with her on the set. She was delightful! She was eager to hear about Grayson Hall, who played Dr. Julia Hoffman, and we were only to happy to tell her about our old friend. Helena and Michelle Pfeiffer were both into watching the original 1,225 episodes and we all laughed about the famous "bloopers" which were indeed "hilariously bad," to use Helene's words. . . however, we take pride in the original series, "bloopers" and all. Our budget for a single episode of the series wouldn't pay for a tea break on the set of the new film! Yet our series has become an enduring classic for over 45 years! The new movie should be an easy sell to the legions of fans who ran home from school to watch the original and the multitudes of young new fans drawn to us each year. If you want to know more, preorder DARK SHADOWS: Return to Collinwood due out with the launch of Dark Shadows.
There, I feel better . . .
Kathryn Leigh Scott

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1698 on: December 07, 2011, 07:44:51 AM »
I didn't take one bit offense to what Helena said. People sometimes say things without thinking about it completely!  I know I do sometimes.  Geez....I don't think she was trying to be rude at all or hateful. DS was campy and it was cheaply made. We love it.  I don't think trying to put the movie down.  Like it has been said she and Michelle watched it and got addicted to it.  Maybe she was having a bad day.....

I am just excited that Dark Shadows is getting a great new infusion of blood.  So an actress said something a little off color.  First everyone had a fit over the makeup on the beach and then we all got the EW picture.  This isn't attacking anyone on this board but mostly people on FB; I think sometimes this fandom can be so touchy and childish about so many things sometimes.

And I am for one looking forward to her role as Dr. Hoffman.  And I am also happy to have rule 7 to protect us all!

And who knows? Maybe Helena meant the production values were "junk" not the acting or storylines.  And maybe she just used an unfortunate choice of words.  I have done that in that past as well.

I have said my peace amen!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: December 07, 2011, 08:22:18 AM »
Midnite, thank you for tracking that down and posting it.   [santa_smiley]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: December 07, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: December 07, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »
needless to say la scott ends this touching tribute to the OS with a pitch for her new book. she's nothing if not consistent. [santa_rolleyes]

she's certainly turning lemons into lemonade as only she can...one of the new film's lead actresses(not to mention wife of it's director who's been intimately involved with it's production since day one)says some unflattering things about it. so to "set the record straight" so to speak order a book from someone who was onset for two days and will likely appear onscreen for less than five seconds.

her motives and enthusiasm for the series are never entirely altruistic. but i'll give her full credit. she's really maximized her association with DS to it's fullest extent. [santa_wink]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1702 on: December 07, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
Dark Shadows a hard sell? IMHO if Dan Curtis had to sell the TV to the network based on what it became, a soap with vampires, werewolves, ghost, and PT time they would have laughed at him. Of couse it's a hard sell, it's was the only show of it's kind. That's why it's still watched today.
May you die before you want too.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: December 07, 2011, 06:08:09 PM »
Another DS 2012 star speaks -

thanks nancy. interesting remarks. [spoiler]some of the "spoilers" we've gotten thus far are promising some casualties. it would already appear that doctor hoffman bites the dust in the new film. so pfieffer's hope for sequels would imply that elizabeth makes it out alive.[/spoiler]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: December 07, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
needless to say la scott ends this touching tribute to the OS with a pitch for her new book. she's nothing if not consistent. [santa_rolleyes]

That was my favorite part of the post. [santa_grin]

her motives and enthusiasm for the series are never entirely altruistic. but i'll give her full credit. she's really maximized her association with DS to it's fullest extent. [santa_wink]

There are people in the business who should take lessons. [santa_thumb]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
That baffles me as well, Borgosi.  The new DS movie will be marketed to the horror/goth movie audience, which is substantial.   The legion of Depp/Burton fans will go see it.  They have made odd movies that wound up doing fairly well.  I would not have any idea on how to market a film like "Ed Wood" but it did find its audience.  The movie can't be easily catergorized but odd does sell, especially the Depp/Burton brand of odd.

nancy

Dark Shadows a hard sell? IMHO if Dan Curtis had to sell the TV to the network based on what it became, a soap with vampires, werewolves, ghost, and PT time they would have laughed at him. Of couse it's a hard sell, it's was the only show of it's kind. That's why it's still watched today.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1706 on: December 07, 2011, 07:44:03 PM »
I am upset by the spoiler!! UGH!!!!  Is that a confirmed spoiler about Dr. H??? [santa_angry]

I also want to say that if I was a bit harsh in my post please I want to apologize.  I am just really looking forward to the infusion DS is receiving.  I recently purchased the comic book and loved it.  Although, I hope we get different artist. No offense but didn't care for the artist drawings.  I guess the art in the Charmed comics looks so much like Holly, Alyssa and Rose that I am spoiled.  I did think some of the artist renderings were good but not the majority. I however, do like the storyline.  Sorry for getting a bit off topic...

I hope you guys know I love you all and again if I sounded brash or harsh I didn't not mean to be.  I was just aggravated at some of the posts on Facebook. Thankfully there is now an unsubscribe so I can be friends with people and not have to listen to all the negativity!  And btw....I am not talking about anyone on this board.  

Much love to you all and I am glad to be back!

Now on topic of the movie. It was great to hear Michelle talk about the movie and the fact that she hopes there are sequels.  I have championed her from day one.  I think she is going to be a great Elizabeth Collins Stoddard! :)

Also great one about La KLS. She plugs like no body's business...
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: December 08, 2011, 02:50:29 AM »
well that didn't take long...

over on facebook a group of...you guessed it..."real fans" have started a HBC hate group.

how embarrassing and sad.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: December 08, 2011, 03:59:01 AM »
Wow.  I keep hoping that DS fans won't behave like complete mental cases in public... and I keep getting disappointed.  This pace certain "real fans" forming an HBC "hate group" over on F-book.  Shouldn't something like that be illegal?

It makes me wonder whether some of the people in that group dress up like Elizabeth Collins Stoddard to go to work every day and board the bus announcing to all and sundry "I am the Mistress of Collinwood" (if you've seen the movie Trekkers, you'll know what I am talking about).

Football widows kvetch about football sometimes.  I'm sure HBC has had years of Johnny and Tim holing up in the living room to run DS marathons from time to time.

It means absolutely nothing about the film, the quality of her performance, her commitment to the project (it actually sounded to me as if she loved working on it), or the price of scones in London today.

And I feel like an idiot for needing to write this.  Sheesh.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: December 08, 2011, 04:12:20 AM »
unsurprisingly this group of "real fans" is largely populated by people operating under the pseudonyms of DS characters.

marie wallace and kathy cody have wisely made the decision to stop accepting "friend requests" from people using false identities.

unfortunately like most fandoms there is a highly disturbed underbelly to DS. it very rarely rears it's head at this fine board but it's out here and ms. carter's comments have triggered an outcry.