Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716927 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1665 on: December 02, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »
I got a similar vibe from that part of her answer as well, but I think it could extend further into target audience, as well.  Who is the studio targeting, and therefore selling this picture to?  Maybe that is why we haven't even seen a poster yet...  They have no idea what to do with the movie, because they have no idea which demographic it will settle best with - other than just Burton, vampire, DS, and Depp fans!   [santa_shocked] 

To me, it sounds a lot like a fantasy set in a very real world - realistic fantasy.  It does remind me of Scissorhands in this regard.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 02, 2011, 02:19:14 PM »
I don't think this DS movie is much of a gamble.  Depp has dabbled in many genres and his fans have gone to see enough of those films to make him a box office star.   There isn't any reason to believe those same fans won't come see him in the DS movie simply because he is in it.   I don't think anyone will avoid the movie because it is a re-imagining of an old soap opera or care about that at all if they go see the film.  The success of the film, stemming from it being a compelling story would ultimately benefit the fandom because some of those delighted with it and unfamiliar with the origins will do a little research and find the original and revival series, and so on.  That's what I am hoping for.

Nancy [santa_tongue]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 03, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »
I don't know many folks here watch American Horror Story, though I think there is a thread about it here somewhere.  But if that is anything like the type of humor that we might expect to see with DS, then count me in!

It's funny that you should bring up the type of humor in American Horror Story because I was just reading a dissection of the latest ep, and the reviewer began with:

Did anyone find this the funniest episode of "American Horror Story" yet? Not exactly laughing at the show, but just the most "black comedy" episode so far?

And as we know, Eva Green has described the humor in the DS film as "black comedy," so you may be on to something.  [santa_wink]  And like you, if the humor in DS is anything like that in AHS, I'll be all for it as well.

160 days 4 hours 14 minutes 39 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 03, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »
This article features a remark by Chloe Moretz that doesn't seem to have been included in the other reports.

Check out: Chloë Moretz: Dark Shadows is weirdly funny

Her actual remark (as opposed to the title of the article) ties up the whole Is-It Weird-Or-Is-It-Funny? thing with a neat little bow and would seem to answer the question. Well, at least so far as Chloe Moretz interpretation of the question goes.

159 days 8 hours 57 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 03, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »
And staying with the subject of Chloe Moretz, apparently she's done another cover article for a magazine:

Chloe Moretz Covers 'ASOS' January 2012

Though it doesn't seem like she says anything about DS that we haven't already heard (well, unless the reference in the linked article isn't all that she says) - but getting DS out to the demographic that magazine likely appeals to certainly can't hurt because teenage girls are supposedly the demo that spends the most money on going to the movies.  [santa_wink]

159 days 8 hours 29 minutes 40 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 04, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »
The admins have realized that the discussion of the Helena Bonham Carter spoiler interview has really gone beyond what we want to see in this topic because we don't want to see the discussion of spoilers, so all discussion of the interview has been moved to the Depp/DS film's spoiler topic. And we apologize if anyone who may have come across the discussion here in this topic possibly learned about things they would have preferred not to know.  [santa_sad]

Also, moving the posts will require the addition of two posts to this topic and they will be dated later than they were originally made. But the move of the discussion of HBC's video to the spoiler topic doesn't allow for us to be able to insert posts into the database with their original dates. So, we also apologize for that - but the original dates the info was posted will be acknowledged in the new posts.  [santa_smiley]

158 days 10 hours 28 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: December 04, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: December 04, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »
(Originally posted as part of this post:
)

Nancy I agree with what you said. The only gamble I see is the present day being set in 1972. I just think that is an unnecessary gamble IMO

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1673 on: December 04, 2011, 08:49:30 PM »
I was wondering if you all had seen this and what you think about it.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1213893p1.html

Seeing this after the spoiler leak makes me wonder if HBC and TB are having troubles. It's like she's out to make the movie fail.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: December 04, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »
There was discussion of this interview over on the main thread about the movie.  I don't think their marriage is in trouble; I think Helena is just in love with the sound of her own voice.

Great shot of her scarily working the Michael Jackson hair.

These interviews with HBC remind me of when Grayson and Sam were touring around doing interviews to promote NoDS, and some unfortunate journalist tried to ask Sam to talk about the story of the movie, and Grayson barked:  "DON'T give away the ending!"

Clearly, HBC is even in more need of a minder...

G.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #1675 on: December 04, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
Maybe so. I just don't understand why she would put the original show down before the movie even has a chance.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: December 04, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
I was wondering if you all had seen this and what you think about it.

As you may have seen, jimbo posted the link back on the 2nd. And I agree with jimbo that IGN was overreacting to what HBC said. As we've mentioned here, she makes some valid points in the video interview because the film will be hard to categorize for the various reasons we've mentioned. Though that doesn't mean it will fail. I'm pretty sure the film will find the audience it's intended for...

158 days 7 hours 51 minutes 6 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: December 04, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »
Maybe so. I just don't understand why she would put the original show down before the movie even has a chance.

Well, like I said in an earlier post about her remarks, we should be used to people putting down the original show. How often have we seen the original DS described as hilariously bad or words to that effect? Even Burton and Depp pretty much categorized the show that way back when they were publicizing Alice in Wonderland in early 2010 on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross. (Who can forget the whole "flies" discussion on that show?  [santa_rolleyes]) But like I also said, some of the things HBC said about the DS film are very interesting and I loved hearing much of her description. It certainly intrigued me.

One thing that is unconscionable about the IGN piece is that they put words in HBC's mouth because nowhere in MTV's video does she say, "I might as well call out the original for being a piece of junk!"  [santa_angry]  And people who only read their piece are not going to realize that because they quote those words as if she actually said them. But then, how often have we said that some of these sites have no scruples whatsoever?

158 days 7 hours 44 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: December 04, 2011, 11:07:04 PM »
When I read her comments yesterday I was upset by them.  I've since calmed down.  She will now have to work even harder to sell me on her interpretation of Dr Hoffman. From the beginning I didn't think she was right for the JH part.  I really haven't seen her in anything that I liked since 'Room With A View'.  [santa_evil]  She's highly overrated IMO.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: December 04, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
I do believe in Borgosi's comments. I think there is some tension between TB and HBC. I don't see any other logical explanation for her remarks. Pure speculation of course. In hindsight she was wrong for the part and project IMO.