Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716721 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: (**HUGE NEWS** Reply #35) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #165 on: May 28, 2011, 03:26:25 PM »
Totally agree Gothick. Loved  Josette as the ANGEL OF COLLINWOOD of sorts! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 28, 2011, 03:46:56 PM »
as cousin barnabas pointed out the characters that seem to have resonated with the general public over the years are barnabas,angelique,quentin and josette...

with barnabas,angelique and quentin i get it. they appear in hundreds of episodes over a period of years and are pivotal to most of the plots. but what i've always found striking about josette is that for all of her name recognition she actually only appeared on the series as a real flesh and blood character for about three months. so if one hadn't been watching the show from say december of 1967 to march of 1968 you never actually saw josette. yet her "presence" and association with the entire scope of the show are stratospheric.

characters that "looked like" josette(maggie,rachel,kitty) or "reminded" barnabas of josette(victoria)came out of the woodwork but they were not in fact josette. yet that name is remembered by everyone . i've always found that remarkable.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 28, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
I really do think that Josette's importance in the audience's mind can be traced directly to the importance Barnabas placed on her in his own life. Yes, she was a significant part of the show before Barn arrived on the scene - but once he was tied in with her and then took off as such a huge character on the show, she, if you will, road his coattails. And even though the problem with that was that the show dipped into the Josette well once too often with all the "looked like" and "reminded" characters and a good portion of the audience eventually threw their hands up and screamed "Enough already!" because they became tired of it, over time those people seem to forget their dissatisfaction with that aspect of the storylines, and Josette manages to return to her former place of prominence in their minds.

348 days 12 hours 33 minutes 31 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 28, 2011, 05:18:56 PM »
I know I had gotten tired of the Josette part of the series before 1897, and there they did the lookalike angle twice!
I never considered her a major character myself.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 28, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
I know I had gotten tired of the Josette part of the series before 1897, and there they did the lookalike angle twice!
I never considered her a major character myself.

yeah having two josette lookalikes in the same storyline was pretty lame.

my impression of it that it was not the original intention to have the two characters but that the storyline went on much longer than originally planned and they needed to find a way to bring KLS back into the storyline and get the "josette thing" going again.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2011, 06:59:11 PM »
I just have this sneaking feeling in my bones EVA GREEN will take something from her viewing of Lara Parker on Youtube and mesh Lara how she (Eva) views Angelique as a character.   I am not saying she will be a Parker incarnate. I do think she will mix a bit of Parker somewhere for our viewing pleasure along with Bette Davis and Janis Joplin!!!!! [banana2] [banana2] [banana2] [banana2] [banana2]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
If KLS hadn't asked for an extended leave of absence to accompany Ben Martin on assignment in Africa, there probably wouldn't have been two Josette lookalikes in 1897. But I have to confess that I actually liked how things worked out because I really got into Kitty being Josette's reincarnation and how Kitty was used to herald Barnabas' return. But then I'm actually in the camp that likes the reincarnation angle. I can certainly see the other side's POV because since DS used it, it has been worked to death. But at the same time I also liked how Vicki being Josette's reincarnation played in the '91 Series - to me it definitely deepened the connection between Barn and Vicki. And it will certainly be interesting to see how the Depp/DS film plays it. If I had to make a choice, I probably would like to see them use the reincarnation angle again.  [a2a3]  But at the same time I won't be terribly disappointed if they don't...

As for Eva Green's take on Angelique, that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to seeing when it comes to the Depp/DS film.

348 days 9 hours 31 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2011, 03:17:22 AM »
Thing is until 1897, it had been months since we heard a peep out of Barnabas in regards to Josette.  So, Rachel was a welcome sight, imo.  But, Kitty was definitely an improvement over Rachel.  The reincarnation was one of my favorite things about 1897.  It was a perfect end to a great story.  Now, if only they hadn't cut it off so short.  And yes, count me in the camp who wanted Barnabas and Josette to finally end up together in HODS.  And one of the folks who really enjoys the reincarnation aspect of the original and revival.  There is just so much more tension when it's there, though I wouldn't mind if they went with a mad Maggie approach for the new version to spice things up a little.  Barnabas is a lot more demented when he kidnaps girls and tries to turn them into his perfect bride, and that is certainly enjoyable too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2011, 04:44:49 PM »
I see where the Hollywood Reporter has put up an article on their Web site entitled "Tim Burton Talks Frankenweenie at the Opening of His Star-Studded Museum Retrospective in Los Angeles". Really? Frankenweenie?! Who the hell cares about Frankenweenie?!  [ghost_angry]  Well, I suppose someone does. Someone at this retrospective event obviously did. But I strongly suspect most of us would have much preferred to hear about DS.  [ghost_wink]  (DS is merely mentioned in passing.  [ghost_sad])

Well, perhaps in some other article...

347 days 12 hours 15 minutes 11 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2011, 05:41:34 PM »
Instead of the two Josette lookalikes, they should have sent Rachael away for a while (when KLS left) and then return, now knowing she is the reincarnation of Josette. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »
Checking tweets about DS on Twitter lead me to this report on the Vampires.com Web site (which, interestingly enough, Google never seems to have sent an alert about): Dark Shadows Update #2. The info is dated as it was posted back on April 3rd. However, I thought it was worth sharing for the graphic. That just might be the best photoshopping of Depp into the original Barnabas portrait. And I don't know where the other photo of Depp is from, but he looks positively menacing. It's enough to actually make one hope that Depp might keep his facial hair for Barn...

And speaking of Web articles one can come across via Twitter, apparently there are quite a few DS fans in Brazil because dozens of people have been tweeting about and sharing two separate articles that have been posted on Brazilian Web sites about the Depp/DS film.

347 days 9 hours 30 minutes 42 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2011, 09:18:40 PM »
Whoa, I love that portrait, I wish I could have it!  [ghost_smiley]   The pic in the foreground looks to me like a photoshoot Johnny did with a photographer named John Huba during Chocolat filming.  It's probably this one- I will give a link because it's kind of large and I don't know what the size limit is here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/MadScntst/photographers/huba%20john/hubad7.jpg

He's pretty much the opposite of menacing in Chocolat (ie., eye candy  [ghost_wink] ), so it's the photoshopped eyes that give him the cool vamp vibe.  (Incidentally, his hair is long there- it's tied back in a ponytail, which is kinda how I was hoping to see Johnny, but oh well!)  I also think the facial hair could  be a very cool touch.  Johnny is usually clean-shaven in Tim's films (the exception being parts of Ed Wood where he has the teensiest bit of moustache) so it's time for a change!  [ghost_wink]  Whenever any new candid photos of Johnny might pop up in the media now after filming has started, we will get an idea of whether he's clean-shaven or not.

And yeah, I know a great Brazilian fan forum/site with some very nice folks on it, so yes, I think that there are lots of Deppfans there!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
Well, perhaps in some other article...

Well, at least this one has a "token" DS question: Is That Sammy Davis, Jr.’s Corpse on Tim Burton’s Sofa?

Some improvement - but still. And I don't know why Burton would assume the interviewer was going to ask why and why that should prompt him to then laugh hysterically.  [ghost_azn]

347 days 5 hours 45 minutes 52 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2011, 02:20:29 AM »
Well, at least this one has a "token" DS question:

What a waste of a token question.  [ghost_sad]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2011, 05:45:44 AM »
It certainly was a waste.  [ghost_rolleyes]

346 days 23 hours 14 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS is released(ET)!!