Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719907 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1575 on: November 09, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
Well, if anything, we should be flattered that they chose to pit Shadows against TDKR.  That is probably one of the best things you could do when making up a story about Shadows.  There's no better movie to compete against.  [hall2_grin] 

Well said!  (Heck, even I can't wait to see TDKR!  [hall2_grin] )

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1576 on: November 10, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
I remember the 2nd X-Files movie had a similar problem going up against one of those Batman movies in '08. It still did pretty respectable I think, but it was totally squashed by the hype of that caped-crusader!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: November 11, 2011, 05:00:07 PM »
X-Files 2 was so bad. What a shame.

Is MTV aware of the WB's press release? http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1674178/johnny-depp-dark-shadows-tim-burton.jhtml

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: November 11, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
Is MTV aware of the WB's press release?

I could have sworn that they've referenced at least parts of it in at least one of their previous articles - but I'm too lazy to go back through all our links to them to check.  [hall2_wink]  Though maybe today's piece is by a different writer? Or perhaps he's simply ignoring the WB Press Release for the sake of speculating. Though truthfully, even though the WB Press Release would seem to answer some of his questions (a chief one being whether or not Victoria travels back in time - it would seem she doesn't), it still leaves the door open to quite a bit a speculation.

But at any rate, thanks for sharing the link, jimbo.  [hall2_smiley]

181 days 11 hours 29 minutes 49 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

The film open exactly 6 months from today!!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: November 12, 2011, 08:13:44 PM »
I am pretty sure the past articles were written by a different author. One would think they would share information on a particular already published subject. On the other hand this writer now will be writing about DS every Friday. I could live with that.
http://newsroom.mtv.com/2011/11/11/newsroom-obsessions-dark-shadows/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: November 12, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »
This seems like pretty good exposure.  Any thoughts?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: November 12, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
MTV seems to have a large readership so we can only hope for more.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: November 13, 2011, 01:16:36 AM »
It's pretty cool that the MTV machine is promoting Depp Shadows as "one of the tentpole releases of 2012."  (an intriguing turn of phrase--various images come to mind around the metaphor of "tentpole releases," particularly since yesterday we were honoring the iconic deliciousness that lurked in Lieut. Nathan Forbes tight trousers--lol!)

I did spot some errors in the columnist's synopsis of certain plot events from DS.  The most egregious were the notion that Julia was seeking a cure for Barnabas "so he could be with" Vicki--Doctor might have had a thing or two to say about that.  And the presumption that Vicki returned from her sojourn in 1795 with "full knowledge" of Barn's secret, which of course was his fear, when in fact, she ended up not really knowing about it at all, and then having amnesia about it after subsequent developments in 1968.

But hey, a press item about DS without mistakes would be like an episode of the series without bloopers--ALMOST unheard of.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1583 on: November 15, 2011, 01:34:24 AM »
I agree that is great that MTV is really intersted in promoting Dark Shadows.  MTV of course reaches a wide audience; I personally only watch the channel during the time they actually show videos which is late at night and early in the morning.  I am not a Jersey Shore fan or any of the other crazy shows they have.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: November 15, 2011, 08:43:55 AM »
Did we discuss this article...  Because it bears discussing.  Not because of its silly headline or hook, but because of the funny spoiler. 

http://www.eonline.com/news/marc_malkin/robert_pattinson_vs_johnny_depp_whos/270236?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: November 15, 2011, 09:06:14 AM »
I posted a link to it back on October 20th:

Yet more comments from Chloe Moretz:

EXCLUSIVE! Robert Pattinson vs. Johnny Depp: Who's the Hotter Vampire?

But so far as any discussion of it went, there have simply been two comments from me - one from the same post:

Very glad to read that she thinks Depp's Barnabas is "tortured and deep" because that's exactly what Barn should be.

And:

Very interesting - thanks so much for the link to the article, jimbo.  [hall2_smiley]  It confirms some of the things we've suspected (Cooper's cameo takes place during the masquerade ball) as well as adding details (Barnabas hires him (no doubt because he's become close with Carolyn)).

[hall2_wink]

177 days 19 hours 53 minutes 46 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »
Thanks, MB.  I thought I remembered looking at it, but I must have missed the part about
[spoiler]Barnabas getting dating advice[/spoiler]  [hall2_grin]

I see that as a typical example of one type of humor we will see in this film.  It goes along with the whole "man out of time" scenario everyone was so fond of discussing a few months back.  I do hope that isn't the only type of humor we have though.  I want plenty of biting dialogue between Liz and Roger as well as between Liz and a certain other character whose life goal is to destroy the family.   [hall2_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: November 15, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »
I want plenty of biting dialogue between Liz and Roger as well as between Liz and a certain other character whose life goal is to destroy the family.   [hall2_wink]

I strongly suspect we're going to get both - and I can't wait to see it.  [hall2_wink]

177 days 9 hours 41 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: November 16, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
I'm so excited!   [hall2_grin]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: November 17, 2011, 10:37:10 PM »
So Depp Shadows has gotten me more interested in modern film than I would otherwise be.  As such, I have been watching some trailers to see what Depp Shadows may look like.  I just got done watching the two trailers for the Snow White (2012) films.  Since they are both adaptations of another work, I decided they would be a good gauge with which to measure possible outcomes for Shadows.  The two of them are like night and day.  Snow White and the Huntsman is dark and serious.  And Mirror, Mirror is...  I don't know what it is to be honest.  Anyway, it is everything I hope Shadows WON'T be.  It appears to be a very bad comedy.  I hope that when we get a trailer for Shadows it looks more like Huntsman does, because I feel if it looks anything like Mirror, Mirror, nobody is going to be very happy.