Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717456 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm almost ashamed to admit that I never saw the entire movie. That movie has always been on my must view list.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
An excellent example!  That is a very scary movie but funny in spots as well.   I still laugh at times when I watch the film.

Can you say An American Werewolf In London? That's a perfect example of a film that beautifully balances scary and humor, often in the same scene.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Ok now I have to get the DVD lol

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
apart from everything else(like being too overt and campy)one of the main reasons the cooper cameo concerns me is that it has the potential to "take one out of the story" so to speak. to interupt the organic flow of things and announce in a very arresting way that "this is a movie, none of this is real". continuity is compromised for the sake of a laugh.

remember the 'spoiler' thread a while back and the tidbits of plot it alleged? it all sounded pretty deadly serious. none of it sounded "funny". i really wonder what the tone here is?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1534 on: November 01, 2011, 01:45:57 AM »
Tim had stated before filming that he was having some difficulty in determining what the vibe was going to be. I believe he found the vibe only after filming began. Now what that vibe/tone is any one's guess. Every person in the production who stated that they read the script it all found it to be very funny. The spoilers are another matter. Some of them have proven to be true so you will have to speculate if the others are too.

David

Re: (**TWO NEW PHOTOS!! Reply #1264**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1535 on: November 01, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
 [female_skull]

Depp's Rum Diary bombs big time. It brought in $5 million against a $45 million budget. Ouch!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 01, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »
But remember, one shouldn't necessarily judge simply based on the opening numbers - especially when it comes to Depp. Remember what happened with The Tourist:
Box Office Shocker

[hall2_wink]

191 days 11 hours 56 minutes 34 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 01, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »
Oh do, Jimbo!  It is a good flick. [hall2_wink]

Ok now I have to get the DVD lol

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 01, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
I will Nancy. Thanks. I think I am the last one in this fandom who hasn't seen it yet.
I saw the Rum Diary yesterday. It is defintely not a commercially attractive movie geared for a big box office at least not in the US. No one in the audience seemed to like it. I guess they were expecting a Bourne like movie. It was good to see Johnny showing off his great acting skills.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
The reviews for The Rum Diary have been interesting because it seems that the critics either like it or dislike it with no mixed reviews. (I loved that while Ignatiy Vishnevetsky wrapped up the reviews on this past weekend's edition of Ebert Presents at the Movies, he pointed out that fellow critic Christy Lemire gave TRD a thumbs down "because she doesn't know what she's talking about." [hall2_grin]) And so far as its opening box office goes, most predictions that I saw beforehand were only expecting the film to bring in about 7 million. So, TRD was never expected to open large. It fell short of predictions by a couple million, but then I've been noticing that over the past several months a lot of predictions haven't been being met because these prognosticators seem to be failing to take into consideration that, due to the current economy, many people aren't going to as many movies as they once did.

And sort of following in the same vein and getting back on topic, the big showing for Marvel's The Avengers in ComingSoon.net's most anticipated movie of 2012 poll has me strongly suspecting that the Depp/DS film has little chance to be the top movie its opening weekend because action movies that are highly anticipated like Marvel's The Avengers quite often repeat at the top their second week (well, unless they turn out to be awful). Not that I actually thought DS had much chance of being the top opener. But there was a slight chance IF the demographic that Marvel's The Avengers will appeal to might not be as excited by that film and might be willing to give DS a look in large numbers. But now I'm thinking that short of a miracle that's probably not likely to happen. And actually, I'll be happy with whatever it makes its opening weekend so long as the Depp/DS film eventually makes enough of a profit so that if they really do want to make a sequel, they will. Record breaking or even big box office is always nice - but it's certainly not a necessity for a movie to be a hit.

191 days 7 hours 34 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 01, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
MB--are DS and Avengers both scheduled for the same weekend?  If that is the case, then the studio may indeed wind up rescheduling DS for sometime in the autumn, as I had originally predicted.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 02, 2011, 12:42:02 AM »
Re: The Rum Diary could possibly make a profit after the international receipts and DVD sales are in.

Gothick The Avengers opens on May 4th so it will start clashing with DS in its second week. I don't think they will move the DS projected date. I am opening WB will have a trailer or at least a teaser when the new Twilight opens this month since they are both WB releases.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »
You aren't, believe me.  I know lots of fans who haven't seen it and will not see it.  Plenty of DS fans are not horror movie fans.

I think I am the last one in this fandom who hasn't seen it yet.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 02, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
I'm not into the American Werewolf in London films (weren't there two or three of them?) and have never seen them.  On the other hand, I have seen The Howling, which I thought was an evocative and well-done take on lycanthropy, and the Howling II, which is sheer kitschy FUN--the movie stars Christopher Lee (at one point seen wearing Eighties New Wave vizor sunglasses) and the breasts of Sybil Danning.  The "werewolf three-way" with Sybil as Stirba, Queen of the Werewolves, her Wolfy High Priest, and a very hot female wolfina played by gorgeous Marsha Hunt, has to be seen to be believed.

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1544 on: November 03, 2011, 04:25:49 AM »
One thing that really helps me to be confident this will be good is the fact that according to several sources and KLS.  Michelle and Helena and probably other stars would watch episodes in the makeup room during the morning.  And KLS said they were totally addicted.   I mean I was totally against Helena playing Julia just because I was tired of her in everything. However, if she was the one who wanted to pay homage to Grayson well she got it right.  And I mean right down to the same nail polish my beloved Grayson always wore.  And she is made up just like Grayson.

I also want to point out that my cousin who I got hooked on the 1991 show said she was very relived they didn't try to modernize it.  I think that was a great great decision.  As much as I love DS 1991. I am pretty sure in 1991 they could totally have found out B was lying. And I am CERTAIN in 2012 they would definitely be able to confirm the cousin from England cover story is total bull....

In closing,we know  that we have "the star" and "the director" were adamant fans. And now we have the actors and actresses who did this movie "hooked" on watching episodes while doing the movie. And thirdly, the picture is a great relief.  So I am happy so far. I am staying away from spoilers though.....

We will see....we will see....
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/