Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717104 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Ha!  Well, if you look at HoDS like that, then I would hope that it has little in common with the new Depp film.  My approach to HoDS has always been slightly more forgiving, I guess.  But, I mean, we can assume that there are a lot of plot parallels:  Barnabas is released from his coffin (as per the summary), he is being "treated" by Dr. Hoffman (as per the interview with HBC), and he finds the someone who looks very much like his Josette (as per the comments from SGS).  I always viewed HoDS as a simple summary of the 1967-Barnabas storyline, and a decent one at that.  It has all the (bare-bones) essential plot elements of the Barnabas story of Dark Shadows.  I imagine the new film will be more of a 1966-1967 Dark Shadows summary, with more of a focus on the family - and I hope that it does justice to the characters of Elizabeth and Roger, the two most important characters who were tossed under the bus when the vampire came into town, as is evidenced in HoDS. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm hoping the Depp/DS film has very little in common with hoDS beyond what you've laid out. Hopefully those are the only similarities. And even from what little we have learned, they would seem to be. As tragic bat said, the Depp/DS film promises to bring many developed characters, context, and details - all which are things hoDS (at least the final edit of it) most definitely did not do.  [hall2_angry]

206 days 12 hours 43 minutes 4 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
TrevorDMoretz trevor duke moretz
I wonder inf #darkshadows will be at #screamawards next year? Chloe has some cool material in it that is def worthy
20 hours ago

stiofandafyyd steveD
@TrevorDMoretz That would be rad! If there's any justice at all , #DarkShadows and Chloë should be there again :)
20 hours ago

206 days 12 hours 8 minutes 5 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The JOHNNYDEPPZONE Web site has a full transcript of the Larry King interview on page 5 of this topic: Johnny on Larry King, Oct 16 on CNN (Show discussion starts on p.4)
(Scroll down to the 8th post: Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:15 am)

However, here's what was about DS:

KING: You just did "Dark Shadows," right?

DEPP: Just finished.

KING: Finished. That was a soap opera about a vampire.

DEPP: Yes.

KING: What attracted you to that?

DEPP: Well, I had watched it as a kid, you know. Religiously. I remember sprinting home from school to see it. Didn't want to miss, like, a minute of it. Ironically, you know, Tim had gone through the same experience. You know running home from school. And then back when we were doing Sweeney, we were doing "Sweeney Todd" a couple of years ago, it -- one day we're just sitting there talking, and I said, you know, we should do a vampire movie sometime.

Let's do a vampire movie. It was before all the "Twilights" and all that, you know, stuff. And yes, that's a good idea. I went, oh, "Dark Shadows," man. And so we got on the "Dark Shadows" tangent. And then one thing led to another.

206 days 11 hours 38 minutes 33 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for posting that, MB.  It's an interesting tidbit, but it would have been great to hear more questions about it.  Oh well, I mean it was only like an hour long...  How could there possibly have been time for more questions about Dark Shadows?   [hall2_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The scope of the interview was controlled by King, and apparently he's not a big DS fan because he quickly changed the subject.  [hall2_rolleyes]

I didn't actually read the entire transcript (I just scanned it for DS), but I did read comments in the topic from people complaining that there wasn't even much discussion about The Rum Diary - and one would think that was the main thing Depp would have wanted to have been promoting.

206 days 11 hours 8 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
strange that the mrs.johnson casting is not listed since the actress/character was in the "official" cast photograph in EW.

Someone must have heard you because I just noticed that she's listed now. And more uncredited actors/roles have also been added:

Shonn Gregory   ...    Worker (uncredited)

David Lyddon   ...    Workman (uncredited)

Some may recall Lyddon's name from this tweet:

DavidLyddon
Day 2 of Great Expectations and then more Dark Shadows:) nice.
29 minutes ago

206 days 10 hours 26 minutes 9 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
transcript of the Larry King interview

They also showed a short  clip of JF, when he first arrived at Collinwood. It is when he walks by the portrait, and you see the comparison.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
lots of "workers" and "workmen" in the film but i guess the spoilers hinted as to why.

as pleased as i am to hear how well "developed" and "fleshed out" the large cast of characters will be here i'm still wondering how developed given the perimeters of a two hour film that will focus largely on barnabas.

definitely not the cameo type of appearances we got in HODS but still. [hall_undecided]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
They also showed a short  clip of JF, when he first arrived at Collinwood. It is when he walks by the portrait, and you see the comparison.

Before the bit from the original series they showed the picture we've already seen with all of the cast from the movie.
Josette

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Of course it remains to be seen how much focus will be shared among the characters, but at least it sounds like they all have story-lines and backgrounds (and perhaps ones very different from the original show, so not exactly a summary), unlike in HODS.    
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
More comments from Chloe Moretz:

A hit girl indeed, Chloe Grace Moretz has big roles ahead

204 days 11 hours 45 minutes 3 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I am totally digging Chloe. I think she is a cool gal.  And I think it's awesome that Burton told her to bring him ideas.  He seems like a real actors director.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
In case anyone missed the Depp interview by Larry King and wanted to watch it, CNN always repeats the Sunday CNN Presents the following Saturday.  So, this Saturday, Oct. 22, it will be on again at 8 p.m. (Eastern), repeating at 11 p.m. and 2 a.m.,

Josette