Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719927 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This is the sole remark I've come across on Twitter concerning today's Hermes panel at NYCC - and quite obviously it's not a particularly flattering one:

romistep Romi Stepovich
#darkshadows panel at #nycc reminded me of scenes from galaxy quest.
4 hours ago

208 days 0 hours 6 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
It's good to be back.   I hope everyone else is glad to see me! :) Love yall!

I'm glad you're back.  I'm glad I'm back.  I have had ongoing PC problems.  Just got the baby back from Best Buy Geek Squad.  It's been awhile.  I was using my netbook (tiny, little awful thing that it is) and anxious for updates, etc.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
I'd like to add my opinion on a sequel if I may.  I'm fascinated by the idea of Bill Malloy character being in the movie.  Perhaps a connection, love or otherwise with Dr Hoffman and/or Elizabeth. The resolution of the Victoria parentage question if not in the new movie and Laura, The Phoenix, returning for David.  I like the whole idea of the Amy and Chris Jennings family connection to the Collinses being explored along with the wherewolf storyline.  A request: please give us some scary pumpkin icons.   
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Video of the panel someone posted over at IMDB.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/VictoriaVanDort/?action=view&current=6b909911.mp4

Not much new.  KLS said she would be "shocked" if there wasn't a trailer by sometime in November.   She is also writing a new book, which focuses on the new film and its connections to the original.  The restored NoDS will be released 6 months after the film is released in theaters, probably with the release of the new film on DVD.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Video of the panel someone posted over at IMDB.

Thanks for the link.  [hall2_smiley]  I'm downloading a copy of the video now...

Not much new.

No surprises? You mean they promised something but didn't quite deliver? But that never happens! ... Um, yeah.  [hall2_rolleyes]

KLS said she would be "shocked" if there wasn't a trailer by sometime in November.

It would be nice to think so.  [hall2_wink]

She is also writing a new book, which focuses on the new film and its connections to the original.

That's certainly anything but a surprise. And it would be very interesting if both she and Mark Salisbury do books.

The restored NoDS will be released 6 months after the film is released in theaters, probably with the release of the new film on DVD.

That pretty much confirms the speculation that the release of NoDS would coincide with the release of the Depp/DS film on DVD/Blu-ray.

207 days 5 hours 26 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
No problem!

And here are the links to the rest of the videos, since this poster has her album set to private.  

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/VictoriaVanDort/?action=view&current=3c1f85b4.mp4

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/VictoriaVanDort/?action=view&current=e04d4448.mp4

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/VictoriaVanDort/?action=view&current=9724f045.mp4

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/VictoriaVanDort/?action=view&current=f3d9f8a7.mp4

And you basically summed up all of my thoughts.  The highlight of the footage was when the actresses brought up Eva Green talking about Angelique "as if it was HER role!"   [hall2_cheesy]

I hope that someone will watch the Larry King interview and tell us all about his remarks on Dark Shadows, maybe even tape it and upload it to the net.  

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I edited the URLs so that people can now access the videos.  [hall2_wink]

And thanks for the links to all of those as well.  [hall2_smiley]

207 days 5 hours 0 minutes 23 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks, MB!  I forgot to check to make sure they worked.   [BOO]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A few comments now that I've watched the videos:

Me thinks KLS needs to look at the '67 cast photo again because Joel Crothers isn't standing behind her. Sadly, he doesn't even appear in any of the versions.  [hall2_sad]

On the other hand, it's very nice to hear that the book KLS is writing will include several candid, behind the scenes pictures that were taken by the original actors while they were in London on the set.

And Angelique in the film IS Eva Green's role.  [hall2_wink]  And to that sort of fact it was good to hear KLS acknowledge that Josette in the film is Bella Heathcote's role and with the understanding that she will bring her own interpretation to it and that KLS has let go. Now, if only the fans who've clung religiously to the original show can only be able to realize that they need to open themselves up to seeing something new. Being open to something new is in no way an affront to the original show and the original cast.

207 days 3 hours 37 minutes 30 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i'm still confused as to why NODS is being restored and released before HODS.

especially if it's somehow tied into the release of the film as NODS has absolutely nothing to do with barnabas or anything else happening in the film. NODS has it's charms but with the exception of a character named "quentin" and a house called "collinwood" it could almost be any early 1970's gothic horror film.

it in no way ties into series cannon which it seems like the film is trying to do. anyone who sees the film and then gets a movie populated by characters named "claire" and "tracy"(read:no barnabas)is going to be very confused.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
and you just KNEW that KLS would do a book tied into the film's production.

she'll definitely have something new to hawk at next year's festival. i'm certainly looking forward to it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Unless things have changed, both hoDS and NoDS are coming out on DVD/Blu-ray at the same time. There was even talk by Warner Brothers of them being released in the same packaging, meaning you'd have to by both - they wouldn't be sold separately. But that was back when it was still iffy whether NoDS would be restored, so who knows if it's still the case?

As for all three films coming out at the same time, I suppose it makes sense to Warner Brothers to market all the releases at the same time.

207 days 2 hours 59 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
thanks...

i didn't realize HODS was part of the package.

i own NODS on vhs but have only seen HODS once on t.v. a long time ago. whenever they show it at the festival it's always too late so i look forward to getting it.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I think NoDS just gets most of the attention, as it is the one that is getting the most work.  I'm anxious for both, but especially NoDS.  I really want to see the difference. 

And, I found it interesting that KLS stated that the new film was completely different from the first two.  Naturally it is different from NoDS, but you'd think that it would have a lot in common with HoDS.  I mean it's not going to be a remake like the 1991 show, but it will have common threads. 

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I expect there will be very little in common with HODS, which developed almost no characters other than Barnabas (indeed, it relied primarily on cardboard cutouts from the tv series and a load of cameos), told almost nothing about his past, and then catapaulted the story into a gorey death fest with almost no one alive at the end.  The new film promises to bring many developed characters, context, details, and a very different plot to set it far apart from HODS I think.    As for NODS, at least it does have the character of Angelique to connect it to the new film. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.